What made you Unhappy today?

iJudas

What made you Unhappy today?

Postby iJudas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 pm

30cm of snow fall in Germany. My wife calls me in work and says "Our next door neighbour is having contractions, her husband is 4 hours away and is making his way home now, but the weather is really bad out there. This is her third child, and she had the last one within 30 mins of her last contraction. I told her to go for a bath to see how she feels. I want YOU to drive her to hospital'.

My reply "No love, you need to ring 112. Have you seen the weather out there? I don't know the woman, I've never met the woman and you want her to come in my car? What if......'

"Just fucking do it!!!!".

The answer was still no. And she's not talking to me.

That's what made me unhappy. A wife who just doesn't see the wood for the trees. A wife who fails to see how ridiculous her idea is.

What made you unhappy today?
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Re: What made you Unhappy today?

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:43 pm

What made me unhappy today?

A coworker I have been training for about 6 months now and still just does not seem to get it!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 pm

Elle Couerblanc wrote:What made me unhappy today?

A coworker I have been training for about 6 months now and still just does not seem to get it!

Kick me if I sound pedantic, but...

My advice... try and figure out what he or she does get, what he or she is good at, how he/she approaches a problem and tries to solve it. In my experience, sometimes, if one person trains another person, it isn't always a problem of the trainee being unable to do the job/tasks. Sometimes it is a problem that the trainee can't do the task, but that he or she can't do the task in the way the person training him or her expects them to.

For example... I have had people training me to do certain things in a typical 'rule following from memory' sort of way. If the thingy says A, then you do X, if it says B you do Y, unless it also says M or N, then you do Z, but if it says O, you... etc. And me failing at it big time. Because I need to understand how something works, what it is supposed to do, why it is X rather than Y, or else I have major problems memorizing what I am supposed to do. I need to see the bigger picture, understand the why's. And vice versa, I have tried training people to do a task 'my way', from an overall understanding of what the point of the task was, how it was supposed to work, and them not getting it at all, until I translated it all into a set of 'if then'-rules.

Then again, maybe he or she is just... not very bright. ;)
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 pm

Microsoft...Visio, Office, System Update, System Restore...you name it. Total waste of an entire day with no resolution yet.

F*cking Microsoft. :banghead:
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
iJudas

Postby iJudas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Kaitlin wrote:Microsoft...Visio, Office, System Update, System Restore...you name it. Total waste of an entire day with no resolution yet.

F*cking Microsoft. :banghead:

Visio is not one of my fave applications, I have to admit. Squint be damned, get me a bigger monitor!
alana
SL Name: alana quicksand

Postby alana » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:10 pm

I love visio!!
Retreat from reality ~ The substitution of the imaginary for the real.
~I know a lot more than you think, but I keep it to myself to save arguments~
Part of the 1%, lucky me! Must suck to be you. :poke:
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 pm

Glaucon wrote:
Elle Couerblanc wrote:What made me unhappy today?

Kick me if I sound pedantic, but...

My advice... try and figure out what he or she does get, what he or she is good at, how he/she approaches a problem and tries to solve it. In my experience, sometimes, if one person trains another person, it isn't always a problem of the trainee being unable to do the job/tasks. Sometimes it is a problem that the trainee can't do the task, but that he or she can't do the task in the way the person training him or her expects them to.

For example... I have had people training me to do certain things in a typical 'rule following from memory' sort of way. If the thingy says A, then you do X, if it says B you do Y, unless it also says M or N, then you do Z, but if it says O, you... etc. And me failing at it big time. Because I need to understand how something works, what it is supposed to do, why it is X rather than Y, or else I have major problems memorizing what I am supposed to do. I need to see the bigger picture, understand the why's. And vice versa, I have tried training people to do a task 'my way', from an overall understanding of what the point of the task was, how it was supposed to work, and them not getting it at all, until I translated it all into a set of 'if then'-rules.

Then again, maybe he or she is just... not very bright. ;)

It's a few factors: One, his personality may just not be a good fit for sales. He has great technical skills but tends to focus on very minor details that takes him away from the sales cycle. In my experience in the industry from a sales perspective, very technical people at times do not make the best sales reps since they tend to not be able to take that "tech guy" hat off. Customers love them because they fix all their problems but then fall behind on quota and other expectations of the job.

Dealing with ambiguity is a huge issue as well. He has to find the fix, the process or the solution to EVERYTHING. In sales, in order to be effective you have to be willing to let some things go and even delegate responsibility. He cannot do that. Constantly I hear from him - "Where is the cheat sheet", "I need a cheat sheet," etc and so on. In our line of business, there are so many one offs that I could spend hours developing cheat sheets.

Secondly, confidence is an issue. Lately I have been asking him when he comes to me such questions as "what do you think?" He has the answer, he is just so afraid of making a mistake. Throughout the training process I have tried to empahsize that the way our company works and the processes we have in place, making a mistake may engraine that process into your mind better. Plus we work with really really nice people who don't FREAK if we make a boo boo.

He's a great guy though and I enjoy his presence in the office but his problem with adapting to the sales environment is causing him some issues with co workers. I am literally his last champion. :(

Edited to add: I don't mind telling him why he should do A over B and to help him understand things. But at the same time, in our company, A OR B might work and you have to go with whatever you like doing best. Unfortunately, he has a difficult time with multiple answers for one issue - his focus is very single minded, if that makes sense.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Ah, clearly not a case involving the examples I gave. I see the problem (though I certainly now very little about sales). He kind of sounds like he'd make a fine employee and co-worker in a different role (like... providing service, internally or externally for an organization). An enabler rather than a sales person. Could be good for sales to some customers, I imagine (the kind that demands the helpful and expert approach). If I was in his shoes, I would probably have the same sort of issues (don't hire ME to sell lola tatas ;) ). I guess you need the right sort of personality for it, and not all personalities are a right fit for sales, I'd guess. I know my own would not be good for it.

Poor guy. No way for him to transfer to customer service or the back-office or something? He sounds like he would fit better in a role like that.
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 pm

Glaucon wrote:Poor guy. No way for him to transfer to customer service or the back-office or something? He sounds like he would fit better in a role like that.

If we lived in Vancouver yes...but in Austin - not as of yet *sigh*.

Ghost
SL Name: Ghost of a chance
Caste: of thousands
Role: with the punches
Home Stone: more weight
Owner: H'ish or J'ish
AkA: tsk tsk

Postby Ghost » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:37 pm

What made me unhappy today ..hmmm..toughie since I am such a well known for my cheerful disposition kinda gal... :hiding:

Snow..and more snow..and burning my soup yet not managing to burn the fire wood that is meant to be burning in the hearth. :banghead:
"Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a song sing it" Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu ;)

Return to “General”