Total votes: 84
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Re: How many Gor books have you read?

Postby Manon Seid » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:02 pm

o.0

Hey! I like Oor! - Thats a spendid idea!

Dioooon please grab Oor? - please!?

I would be with two of my all times heros then! :D

Forgot if i actually contributed anything valuable to this thread - read about 14 books by now. They are crappy - but strangely interesting too. Not a fan but still plowing through the drivel. Its kinda like watching Americas funniest home videos. Most of them are not funny at all - but if you start watching you just have to see the next..and the next...

If nothing else the books provides details for fun rp - just in case i ever return to rp that is. I seem to be stuck in building and this shiny wonderful collar.

...Can we have Oor ...please? :innocent:
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:21 pm

Reading back, and trying to control my amusement over how easily Kaitlin is shifting her position by arguing semantics, id expand further on something Glaucon said:

To bring that back to us, here... I think it is fair to say that Pelo, who read all the books (twice, I think he said) was as good an 'authority' as any of the (much appreciated) authorities, here. And yet, he said he didn't like the books much at all, didn't agree with Norman at all, really. So... I'd say that being a 'fan' doesn't really help, if one assumes equal knowledge of the books. It only helps in so far as being a fan typically comes with more interest in and knowledge of the books.

And what i wanted to say is that in my years in SL Gor i came across to many "knowledgeable" roleplayers, or even lifestylers, who would run around advertising their "authority" over the books, when, in truth, they were dead wrong about many very things. Loving something too much, being a fan, doesnt guarantee objectivity in one's conclusions. Love is blindness, Bono said it! Most people would still bend their judgment towards the role/version/interpretation they loved the most. On the contrary someone could argue that a dispassionate, cool, approach could serve you better both in research and roleplay, makes you see things clearer. And usually those were the people who were the best roleplayers too and got most things right.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:56 pm

Pelopidas wrote:Reading back, and trying to control my amusement over how easily Kaitlin is shifting her position by arguing semantics, id expand further on something Glaucon said:

The thing about coming to a thread late is that you often miss the obvious. Why would I need to shift my position when it has remained unchanged?

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
As for Pelo, I didn't say he loved the books or he lied. I stated he got something out of reading the entire series...twice. He also got something out of creating a website to provide accurate book information to people who couldn't be bothered to read the books themselves. The puts him in the "fan" category for me and not the "hater" category.

I didn't give it a different definition. I stated pretty clearly Pelo is in denial and you buying into the whole "I am not a fan" is a bit silly. Anyone who spends their time reading 60+ books by an author appreciates them on some level. Sorry don't buy it. He may have evolved in his thinking over time given the last debate I remember he was advocating for Panther girls storming the city walls, but the person that crafted the red caste website is a fan. It is important to him that what is presented in the books be portrayed accurately in RP or at least it once was.

Are you really serious? A person who reads 30+ novels twice is a fan whether they admit it not. He may not be a supporter of the views expressed in the books (it is fiction BTW) and he may not think highly of his writing style but he certainly is a fan from the standpoint of being well researched and well read. If his RP skills are equally on par then he is exactly what I described as a combination of the two.

I realize you may feel the need to defend reading the books multiple times when most roleplayers haven't read a full book even once in some desire to separate yourself from the usual reader of the series who just enjoys the authors work, but it wasn't necessary. My opinion remains the same even if you tell me you hated the books—each time in the 78 times you cracked a cover or pulled up a digital copy—in the way it was presented in this thread. I wish more roleplayers hated the books this much.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait

Postby ... » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Manon Seid wrote:...Can we have Oor ...please? :innocent:

Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:13 pm

omg its been days since i laughed out loud rl

This just made me spit my coffee all over my keyboard!
Bwahahahahaha!

Come plaaaaaaay!
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:42 pm

/me stumbles over some kittens before straightening to declaim his prepared bit of rhetoric.

Shifting in action... please note the parts you underlined and the parts I highlighted. :mrgreen:

Kaitlin wrote:
Pelopidas wrote:Reading back, and trying to control my amusement over how easily Kaitlin is shifting her position by arguing semantics, id expand further on something Glaucon said:

The thing about coming to a thread late is that you often miss the obvious. Why would I need to shift my position when it has remained unchanged?

As for Pelo, I didn't say he loved the books or he lied. I stated he got something out of reading the entire series...twice. He also got something out of creating a website to provide accurate book information to people who couldn't be bothered to read the books themselves. The puts him in the "fan" category for me and not the "hater" category.

I didn't give it a different definition. I stated pretty clearly Pelo is in denial and you buying into the whole "I am not a fan" is a bit silly. Anyone who spends their time reading 60+ books by an author appreciates them on some level. Sorry don't buy it. He may have evolved in his thinking over time given the last debate I remember he was advocating for Panther girls storming the city walls, but the person that crafted the red caste website is a fan. It is important to him that what is presented in the books be portrayed accurately in RP or at least it once was.

Are you really serious? A person who reads 30+ novels twice . He may not be a supportis a fan whether they admit it not...of the views expressed in the books (it is fiction BTW) and he may not think highly of his writing style but he certainly is a fan from the standpoint of being well researched and well read. If his RP skills are equally on par then he is exactly what I described as a combination of the two.

But you are right. We simply read your posts selectively. :heart:
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:47 pm

Not really Glaucon. You chose to believe what you wanted about my posts over and over because you got caught up on the word fan even when I corrected you each time. I'm not sure he bothered to read at all before coming back in some trite need to defend his animosity toward the books. This has to be one of the stupidest arguments I've seen to date.

Oh I hate the man and his books...thats why I read them all 3 times.

Sorry but I'm still not putting him in the "hater" category.

Once upon a time... Kait
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:50 pm

Oh I don't believe at all in the philosophy in the books...thats why I wrote thirty of them, and packed them full of it.

See the analogy?
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 pm

Glaucon wrote:

Oh I don't believe at all in the philosophy in the books...thats why I wrote thirty full of them.

See the analogy?

Not really. Its fiction or now you are going to tell me that vampires are real too. What a crock and I expect better from you Glaucon.

Once upon a time... Kait
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:53 pm

If someone writes 30 books about a vampire that keeps going on about how classical music is better than popular music... I am not going to think that the author thinks vapires are real. But I AM going to think the author likes classical music more than popular music. Call me crazy. :)

Return to “General”