abhidi
SL Name: abhidi windstorm
Role: slave
Home Stone: Brundisium
Owner: Laike,the elusive Merchant!
AkA: abhidi

Gor and Carpal Tunnel or RSI Anyone?

Postby abhidi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:44 pm

So I'm pretty much out of Gor and out of roleplay as my hands and wrist heals. I actually got a repetitive stress injury during my time playing SL Gor!! Anyone else?

Of course I know all the rules about ergonomics, taking breaks, hand and finger exercises, etc, but it caught me! I don't otherwise do heavy typing, so I know exactly what it is from. When I get excited particularly, I noticed how sore I was as I really got into the scene and typed my damned heart out, spilling my emotions all over the keyboard, if you will.

Just curious if I'm the only one or if there are other Gor-related injuries out there, besides the heart, which is a given.

I don't think I'll return either - just not worth it. I gained 8 lbs my last roleplay jaunt and my fingers hurt, my housework was a disaster and my family did nothing but argue about the time I spent, fixated, behind the computer screen and the same goes for my friends! LOL Now my hands! I log in to hang out and I have a small rental apartment that I manage. I just never would want to do "voice" Gor, to be honest, as it ruins the mood.

Abhidi
Owned by the most elusive Laike, the Merchant.
Meri
SL Name: ...

Re: Gor and Carpal Tunnel or RSI Anyone?

Postby Meri » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:09 pm

The term "everything in moderation" doesn't just apply for Jack Daniels.

I don't rp as much as I used to, which is the main reason that I also don't try to have an ongoing "hero" story with Meri. I'm the background noise to your rp. This enables me to log in one day, be gone for 5 and log in again without feeling any guilt about leaving anyone hanging.

When your life is effected by role playing - when your house is neglected, your lover is angry, your children are screaming for your attention and/or your finances are a mess - then it's smart to log off until you can discipline yourself into only playing for X number of hours on certain days.

Every 15 mins I stand up and move while someone is typing out a post. That includes wrist exercises. My wrists get sore if I don't do it and I really do not want to have carpal tunnel.
abhidi

Postby abhidi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:22 pm

Meri wrote:The term "everything in moderation" doesn't just apply for Jack Daniels.

I don't rp as much as I used to, which is the main reason that I also don't try to have an ongoing "hero" story with Meri. I'm the background noise to your rp. This enables me to log in one day, be gone for 5 and log in again without feeling any guilt about leaving anyone hanging.

When your life is effected by role playing - when your house is neglected, your lover is angry, your children are screaming for your attention and/or your finances are a mess - then it's smart to log off until you can discipline yourself into only playing for X number of hours on certain days.

Every 15 mins I stand up and move while someone is typing out a post. That includes wrist exercises. My wrists get sore if I don't do it and I really do not want to have carpal tunnel.

Yep! I was using a bit of humor there also though. My life is not in shambles LOL nor is my family leaving me. I just wanted to know if anyone else had any type of repetitive stress injury. I know full well of the ramifications of our actions and the prudence, as you so rightly pointed out, of moderation is key.

I did take away a good point from your reply, which is it is perfectly fine to just do the background and log in when it suits you. I'm going to stick with my npc master and do just that when it suits me, popping in for a half hour once or twice a week or however I feel like it. Great point!
Meri
SL Name: ...

Postby Meri » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:39 pm

I wasn't really implying that your life is in a shambles. Roleplay is a very time consuming hobby. It doesn't take much for it to effect someone's real life, which you said it did with your weight gain and objections from family and friends. Maybe I dramatized it, but you'd be surprised at how many people (not you, perhaps), let their lives slip away so they can build their stories in here. That was really directed at more than just you. ;)

Oh hell yes, it's ok to just log in when you can. It's okay to not want a long, detailed story. Don't get me wrong, Meri has a story, it's just not a very deep one. Her story is just what she does, the places she goes and the people she meets. Some may consider that boring, but I get to log in when I can and not out of obligation, I get all the fun of the writing/story telling and I get to impact others stories.

The other day, for example, I sold some tonic to a woman who I convinced was going gray and getting wrinkles. It was a miracle cure, of course, and she was oh-so-lucky to have met me just then before it got TOO bad. I walked away from that with a break from RL to have some fun. She walked away with more to her story. Now she was broke (took her for all she had. Heh.) and had this weird ritual I had her go do before she could drink the "cure". I might go back and try to sell her a preventive back up tonic. :thumbup:
Olaf
SL Name: Olaf

Postby Olaf » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:47 pm

The day I end up with a physical ailment from sitting in front of my computer playing pretend, is the day I quit that activity for good. Hasn't come about yet, hope it never will.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Asside from the general issues relating to doing something too much, obsessively, etc. (and those issues are real, of course, and RP IS a very time-consuming activity, no doubt about it), but about RSI in particular:

I developped a mild case of RSI at some point. But it wasn't through playing SL. It was the combination of doing a lot of work at a keyboard in the workplace and playing games requiring extensive use of a mouse at home. I limited myself a tiny little bit, but not all that much. Mostly, it simply healed with time. I think it is actually a matter of getting used to it... developping a little extra muscle, even, perhaps. I can mouse a lot more than I used to now, without being bothered by it. But if I do it too much, I sometimes feel that strain again. But I never got this from typing, just from mousing a whole lot (some games and some programs I used for work requiring that). So... RP was never an issue for me.

If you still want to do the RP thing in SL... I'd recommend taking a break for a little while... and then just following some of those ergononics tips. Most of it is a matter of you tensing up making some motions... you can fix that yourself, or maybe watch some youtube clips with examples, etc.
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:12 pm

I started using my mouse with my other hand (an unrelated elbow injury), it was very easy to do, far easier than writing.

Now I can just switch over at will.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Resolver Bouchard wrote:I started using my mouse with my other hand (an unrelated elbow injury), it was very easy to do, far easier than writing.

Same here on just switching hands. My injury was caused by 90% of the work I do being done on a computer. I don't blame SL. I also switched to a trackball for a period of time. Cheap standard "mice" are hell on the wrist.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Resolver Bouchard wrote:I started using my mouse with my other hand (an unrelated elbow injury), it was very easy to do, far easier than writing.

Same here on just switching hands. My injury was caused by 90% of the work I do being done on a computer. I don't blame SL. I also switched to a trackball for a period of time. Cheap standard "mice" are hell on the wrist.

Yep... having a good (I'd say optical one) helps. That is probably why people have less RSI issues, these days: better mouses.

What can also help if you have this over using a mouse is increasing the mouse sensitivity... that way you don't have to move it around so much.
abhidi

Postby abhidi » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:48 am

Meri wrote:I wasn't really implying that your life is in a shambles. Roleplay is a very time consuming hobby. It doesn't take much for it to effect someone's real life, which you said it did with your weight gain and objections from family and friends. Maybe I dramatized it, but you'd be surprised at how many people (not you, perhaps), let their lives slip away so they can build their stories in here. That was really directed at more than just you. ;)

Oh hell yes, it's ok to just log in when you can. It's okay to not want a long, detailed story. Don't get me wrong, Meri has a story, it's just not a very deep one. Her story is just what she does, the places she goes and the people she meets. Some may consider that boring, but I get to log in when I can and not out of obligation, I get all the fun of the writing/story telling and I get to impact others stories.

The other day, for example, I sold some tonic to a woman who I convinced was going gray and getting wrinkles. It was a miracle cure, of course, and she was oh-so-lucky to have met me just then before it got TOO bad. I walked away from that with a break from RL to have some fun. She walked away with more to her story. Now she was broke (took her for all she had. Heh.) and had this weird ritual I had her go do before she could drink the "cure". I might go back and try to sell her a preventive back up tonic. :thumbup:

:D thanks, Meri!

Return to “General”