Mesh What?!!?? Hands, Heads & Breasts...wow

Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Re: Mesh What?!!?? Hands, Heads & Breasts...wow

Postby Cassie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:59 pm

There is a tutorial for a blender plug in called Rising Star that I saw at the moment. I have used Blender for poses... tried but I gave up and moved to DAZ when I am really into.

I have seen a few designers post it but as you said very few so I suppose it is more complicated for the major brands after all.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:21 pm

In Avastar rigging is pretty much a matter of pushing a button. But after that you still need to fine tune the weighting. Its difficult to get skirts and pants to move just right with the avatar and this is where the work comes in transforming a clothes model into something useable for SL.

Avastar takes care of a few steps that regular Blender with no addons dont have automatically regarding transferring from blenders format to collada format, thats useable in SL. It breaks down the workflow to something thats a lot easier to deal with when designing for SL specifically. It IS possible to design clothes - possibly even fitted mesh clothes for SL in Blender without Avastar. But i for one have no clue how.

Too bad its still buggy or we would see an explosion in fitted mesh by now. But soon...
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:55 pm

Soooooo I finally got a chance to spend some time setting up my Mesh Head purchase.

Pros
1) Ease of use (once you get the hang of the hud) adding makeup/brows/different skins aka appliers. It's all right there. If you invest in the free mesh hands and feet you can also control them from the same hud
2) High resolution look that looks great in all windlight settings. This actually surprised me because of the historical issues with mesh feet
3) Skin appliers from different creators can cause the same mesh head to look very different. Mixing in makeup and brows extends the ability to create a unique look.
4) This one is corny but I love the ability to open and close the mouth, blink and close the eyes. I hope they do a bit more here but they don't have to go as far as the campy expressions the SLink head offers

Cons
1) Setting it up sucks. It takes some time and the hud can be glitchy.
2) The head is too tall and round on the top so quite a few of my older hair purchases didn't work (thank god for the hairbase applier I finally found and Kait's love of big hair)
3) At this point I'd like to see more appliers by different skin creators. I suspect that will change in the next few months but I'm ready now

Here are a few photos of the mesh head and the two appliers I've chosen so far (same designer & head style so there is an obvious similarity). I didn't do anything special with the lighting and no photoshopping.

Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Caranda
SL Name: Caranda Schreiner
Role: slave
Owner: Brigette Wade

Postby Caranda » Sat May 24, 2014 8:04 pm

I just invested in a headless mesh body called "wowmeh".

Basically it makes your linden body invisible (except for your head) and adds a fitted mesh body. The great thing is that the fitted mesh body changes shape as you change the linden sliders so you can make it completely individual and also reproduce generally the shape of your linden body. The shape is much nicer than the regular linden body and it doesn't seem to distort like the linden body does in some poses.

So far I am very impressed. Will post some pics when I get myself looking a bit better.
It is regarded as right to enslave a natural slave
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Sun May 25, 2014 1:01 am

I like the Wowmeh body, but I haven't bought it because I really don't have any characters active right now that would be naked often enough to warrant the spent. It's great for players that do though, I think.

I'm still in two minds about the heads. Some of them can look great, and while I've seen some amazing avatars that use them, I'm not sure I'm ready to let go of making my own faces and using tattoo layers now that I finally seem to be not-so-terrible at doing it. I think for some people who struggle with sliders or don't want to put in the time it takes to not look like a freak with no chin, or like Desperate Dan, they're a good, quick fix that will always look at least passable. As long as you don't make your body way too big like I've seen a few times with that creepy kid-looking mesh head.

I own the creepy-kid-looking mesh head and the LOGO one, but I use neither.

I also own Lolas but don't use them. I think they look a bit silly on thinner avatars, and I generally like to make my avatars on the thinner side because I seem to have a preference for 'agile' characters. On that note though, there are boobs called "perkies" that are shapes as a smaller breast. They work with lolas appliers, but unfortunately the shading is all off (obviously) for the shape. I'd like to see these developed a bit more (they're difficult to fit) and more skin-makers making appliers for them.

Hands and feet are basically a 'must have' at this point I think, almost as much as mesh hair is. Suddenly the sausage fingers I grew to love are an abomination and walking on planks is no longer acceptable. But the slink ones are best - for female avatars anyway. The hands that come free with "TheShops" skins are so bad i just bought Slink and tinted them. Saying that, there's a whole load of issues with The Shops business model - I can't see myself going for a skin from there again unless they start making appliers.

I like the ears - on men though, usually. I've seen them on a couple of chicks and they look good, but mostly they look good on dudes. The Skinnery ones are the best from what I can tell.

Despite mesh eyes being higher resolution in terms of textures, I still find myself using system eyes. Mesh is handy for the multitudes of people afflicted with heterochromia around SL though I guess. I think this is just laziness on my part too. I did play a one-eyes character and used a mesh eye and a sclera base, so again it opens up options for character customisation.

Phat azz - no.

Mesh lashes - no. Probably an issue with my viewer but they always look like my 13 y/o little sister when she puts on six layers of four different mascaras over three hours. I like redgrave's lashes too much anyways.

Mesh nipples - what I use instead of Lolas, because I want fancy tatas too. I love the ones from lotus. They drip and squirt milk - praise the kink community for our role play props.

Mesh pubes - because I like pubes.

PENIS! - good lord there are too many controls on that Aeros HUD. But Aeros is the way to go I think.

Did I miss anything out?

:D
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Sun May 25, 2014 1:25 am

LOL Oor

Yeah I agree on your choices.

I bought the wowmeh cause they told me I could modify my shape with it and it's true.
Indeed the real helpful thing is making your boobs biggers does not make them square anymore and you get natural nipples (and the option to detach them for clothing) with finally a none pixelated butt crack. Not even phatazz and associates managed that.

Mesh clothing fits if you are sizes to one of the standard sizes, you can Alpha any part of the body to fit clothing and comes with hands and feet (slink looks better but a nice option).

I am waiting for Slink to come out with hers so my Slink attachments fit better since even the mesh hands look better. Wowmeh has too tiny wrists and I like my avatar a little bulky.

Mesh heads? No, no point on them. The fact that people state shadows look better makes no sense to prefer them to making your own head. Same as mesh eyes and mesh lashes (I like modifing my prim lashes).

Maybe they can make fit mesh heads and add some cute roman noses or arab noses... now that would be helpful. :hrm:

But please someone tell me, why are men using the mesh mouth! They look like retard rabbits! :covereyes:
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun May 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Woo, I can weigh in on a few of these.

Mesh head- I bought the Logo one and it's pretty enough. I like it for certain avatars but also still tend to use my own shapes or premade shapes when I want more diversity. Here's how I styled it:

Mesh boobs- I like my Lola's, but I shrank them down quite a bit. I wasn't sure about them till I started finding skin appliers for my favorite skins and I like them quite a bit now:

Mesh hands and feet- yeah, so much better than system. They pretty much are a Must Have at this point and while I adore Gos's feet, Slink has won me over with the abundance of appliers and shoe add-ons now. Slink for hands and feet.

Mesh eyes- I'm a fan. They just seem to hold their textures better and look clearer, brighter, sharper to me. I like IKON or Mayfly for the eyes, myself.

Mesh bootay- haven't tried yet. I've seen it done well, and I've seen it done...really badly. I'm on the fence, may give it a try.

Mesh lips- kill it with fire. I've never seen these done well.

Mesh lashes- can be done well, but are a PIDA to get adjusted and fitted. I tend to stick with system for this, AL VULO has a nice "doll lashes" that I love.

Mesh body- I'm curious. Gonna give the Wowmeh a try and see how I like it. I do know the new mesh system av's are pretty scary- esp. the female shapes/skins are really badly done.

Mesh hair/clothes/accessories- should be a staple at this point. I rarely wear anything but these days.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun May 25, 2014 5:55 pm

Meshheads: Nope. The Logo head is SO damn overused, it's like a clonearmy, no matter the make up/rest of the shape. Plus, a terribly strange sideview in my book. I am truly waiting for more Vive9/SLINk and The Shop heads, they are much more refined and the applier system seems soo soo neat. Once there is a myriad of meshheads, maybe I will be convicned. Until then, I like MY face better.

Hands and Feet: Must have. I love Slink for the versatility with shoes but if I am just barefoot, I use Just Design's feet, they are prettier and more detailed in my book. However, Slink is really a must have with all the shoes.

Meshbooty: I got the cute ass and I love it. It is way different from the phat ass and whenever my avi is nekkid, I quite like it. The phat ass looks ridiculous though.

Meshbody: Wowmeh, nope. Isn't compatible with SLINK hands and the boobies look way, way off to me. I am looking forward though to the soon to come SLINK body and Belleza Body!

Mesheyes: YES! Love how clear they are. There IS a very visible difference. Dead Apples, Buzzeri, The Skinnery, Mayfly and Ikon.

Meshboobs: I love my Lolas. I sized them decently and don't look like a dumb bimbo with them.

Meshlashes: There are two types of meshlashes: A meshprim with drawn on lashes (texture) and actual meshlashes (like Maitreyas). The latter almost always look like shit on pics and even inworld. I use my meshlashes by Snowrabbit and I LOVE them.

I don't think I need to mention that meshclothes/accessories/decorating/hair is pretty much standard nowadays. :P

Also, guys. Aeros cocks. No others are valid. Please leave your ugly ass Xcites at home. :P
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Mon May 26, 2014 1:00 am

I've decided not to wear the mesh ass. I like my own one.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Mon May 26, 2014 1:25 am

Since I wear a physics ass at all times to keep my foes mesmerized, I cannot wear a prim ass. it ruins the effect of my Battle Ass.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.

Return to “General”