Mesh What?!!?? Hands, Heads & Breasts...wow

Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Mesh What?!!?? Hands, Heads & Breasts...wow

Postby Sasi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Also, you make the features of your avatar's face in following an expression you wish to give it, harsh, sweet, cold, young, mature...

Too, sometimes, on the face of our avatar, we spot a little detail that sucks for our own taste and we feel the urge need to correct it. Sometimes, we get tired also of our shape after months and we change some details, bigger or more round, smaller eyes, more or less eyelids, lips that we want more full or thiner, etc...

I don't see how mesh heads will allow all these options... So, yes, until it becomes possible to modify the features of these mesh heads as we do with our current shapes and layer skins, I am very reluctant to buy one...
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:15 pm

@Sasi and Frevet I am hoping that the Lindens just redo the avatar mesh all together. Not sure if they will be able to improve the feet and hands much but perhaps give us decent looking noses!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Frevet wrote:While I appreciate the quality of some meshheads out there, particularly The Shops and Vive9

I prefer both over Slink and they offer very different looks without the plastic or barbie doll look Tantus mentioned.

Much like Elle said, the imagination gets lost when you just drop a head onto your throat and...look like 1000 other girls.

I can see how a mesh head would be unappealing to the minority that spend a lot of time creating a unique look or creators but to the masses that isn't really an issue. They buy a canned shape that 1000 other girls may have already. I have also found that often those who believe they are presenting a unique look don't look much different when you add the same clothes and hair as everyone else unless they are good at it like you, Ost and a few others.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:43 am

Hmmm. I am still not convinced that a lot of players that aren't smart enough or dedicated enough to make the effort to put a good avi together the usual way and them buying, say, a full mesh avi that looks good, instead, is really a great improvement in the eyes of you, me or anyone. Maybe it will make things more 'pretty', overall, but you will get more of a clone-look as well. And too many people have pointed out the correlation between a good looking-avi and someone being a good RP-er for me to doubt that many of us do not, in a way, LIKE the fact that we can usually judge an SL book by it's cover. ;)
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:06 pm

Unfortunately it seems so, I am not sure fully but maybe the fact that a person can put a well rounded avatar would suggest to me he has an eye for art...well sorta.

I have seen a woman full of mesh bits still screw it up badly and evidently so. She had a mesh head with eyes balls not exactly well positioned and the skin color was not even matching the head and mesh boobs the size of two rockets with flexi hair. Approaching her in rp did show in fact she was also not the kind of rper I could get much from. So there.

Recently I got a rear ass called "ghetto booty" which seemed less of a thigh gap unlike the pahtazz. I had no problems with it but I just kept looking and thinking that unless my avatar lives bending over naked the ass is pretty worthless because that is the only moment I seem to grasp a difference.

I wonder also if people use them cause they like to try new things rather than finding them actually productive.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:57 am

Cassie wrote:Unfortunately it seems so, I am not sure fully but maybe the fact that a person can put a well rounded avatar would suggest to me he has an eye for art...well sorta.

I have seen a woman full of mesh bits still screw it up badly and evidently so. She had a mesh head with eyes balls not exactly well positioned and the skin color was not even matching the head and mesh boobs the size of two rockets with flexi hair. Approaching her in rp did show in fact she was also not the kind of rper I could get much from. So there.

Recently I got a rear ass called "ghetto booty" which seemed less of a thigh gap unlike the pahtazz. I had no problems with it but I just kept looking and thinking that unless my avatar lives bending over naked the ass is pretty worthless because that is the only moment I seem to grasp a difference.

I wonder also if people use them cause they like to try new things rather than finding them actually productive.

A mesh ass that encourages women to remain bent over does sound pretty damn productive to me, to be honest! :poke:
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:58 am

Victor. wrote:
A mesh ass that encourages women to remain bent over does sound pretty damn productive to me, to be honest! :poke:

I just walked into that didn't I? :D
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Alice McConnell
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Postby Alice McConnell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:06 am

What about fitmesh (or fitted mesh)? It was introduced into the official viewer a few weeks ago. The latest Firestorm viewer supports it too. I have one fitmesh top, and it looks really good (and actually fits perfectly without alphas), but there are only a few creators on the marketplace selling it, the same ones selling it a few weeks ago. Nothing new as far as I could see.

Should I just be patient? People are slow to update viewers, maybe. And creators may not be quick to start creating stuff for it. I read it is complicated to weigh mesh for it. At the same time, it has a lot of potential. You could make mesh breasts that use the physics bounce, for example. Mesh body parts or avi's could be made more customizable. And I would love mesh-clothes to move away from the standard sizes (my ideas of how I want to look do not match those of the person(s) that made these standard sizes).

Fitmesh: I want!
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:30 am

Fitted mesh is out yes - the largest viewers supports it. But unless you are a creator who can do all the weighting and rigging and all on your own in Blender - most are waiting for Gaias Avastar addon to work. Unfortunately theres a few bugs with that, that shes been frantically battling for weeks to get right. Some stuff with specific bones not exactly working as they should. Until that is fixed you can make fitted mesh with Avastar in Blender, but bones like belly wont look right when you scale the avi up and down. I think there is an issue with the male basic shape or bones in Avastar too - but not too sure if that has been sorted out by now.

Gaia has been wanting to release the finished version for weeks, so its a matter of ...some time very soon... before its fixed and we will all jump on the fitted mesh wagon and start producing like crazy for that :)

The weighting is no harder than the normal weighting as it was before fitted mesh, its just a matter of weighting to another set of bones. The process has hardly changed much.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:29 pm

I read that the guy in the lead on the deformer mesh project was actually pretty gracious. He said that fitted mesh was a good solution. Simpler than his solution from a development point of view. Harder for clothing creators (more rigging to do), but otherwise not a bad way to go.

He also said that Linden Labs didn't want to use the code he and the deformer mesh people created because it was him (because he expressed himself strongly about that big ToS change, I am guessing). So, yes, politics.

I am not a clothing creator. That avastar blender thing takes care of the rigging for most of them?

Return to “General”