Mesh What?!!?? Hands, Heads & Breasts...wow

Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Re: Mesh What?!!?? Hands, Heads & Breasts...wow

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:02 am

Sasi wrote:I would like more options, for the nose, lips, eyes shapes...

The SLink heads, I hate the eyelashes, for example..

There will soon be even more options and they will continue to improve. I'm not a fan of the SLink mesh head but I do believe it is an improvement on the Chloe which was the first.

Glaucon wrote:I guess I am going to be anti-mesh, blind Glaucon again, but...

Why? Sure, I have seen some pretty faces that were mesh (typically very teenager-looking, but pretty) and I get that this mesh may have a bit more detail than the 'system' faces, but with good skin, good shapes and so forth, the 'system' faces can look just as pretty, I'd say (if perhaps a little less detailed). Ugly angles like the ones some here dislike so much about the system breasts? Not that I noticed (maybe a little for those with very pronounced cheekbones). With all the shape-sliders and skins and tattoo layers and so forth, these system faces can be made to look pretty unique (for those that make the effort), whereas at the moment, these mesh heads all seem to look rather similar. Maybe new meshhead makers will add variety, but I can't see that producing as much variety as the system faces can offer.

I get that there is a drive in SL (especially among those playing femmes) towards looking as pretty as possible, but as an RP-er with an appreciation for the visual aspects, if it is a trade-off between visual perfection and people creating avatars that are unique to them, I'd go with the second option, especially if the first means an invasion of cutesy avi's that, in spite of their large mesh breasts, look like 15-year olds and, for the most part, like identical twins (because there are always going to be one or two 'heads' or complete mesh avatars that are going to be considered the best, so people will generally use those).

Glaucon I agree that the Chloe did have a doll-like young look that I didn't personally appreciate but the same can't be said of the more recent offerings. Many system faces suffer from the same issue because the skins themselves are young looking. At this point you can look "mature" using the mesh head.

You already answered the why. Detail. As additional options are added and appliers I believe mesh heads will surpass the system face by quite a bit even if those that love working with the sliders have less flexibility. I still remember well the initial rejection of the SLink mesh hands and at this point it is impossible to find an SL blogger who doesn't wear them.

I also reject the idea that the mesh head is an attempt to be "more pretty". Even more than with skins, the eye of the beholder certainly applies to mesh heads. What one person sees as beautiful may be ugly to someone else. Of course if you are going for ugly or unique then you won't want to use a mesh head anymore than you would use a standard system shape.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:15 am

A standard system shape can be altered, right? Quite a few things you can do with it. And sure, maybe it is true that many skins cater to a certain look, mostly quite young, but there have been a lot of skins made. Those wanting to look a bit different should have plenty of options. And with the tattoo layers, a perfectionist doesn't need a whole lot of skills to make adjustments for him or herself.

I will accept what you said about there being more 'mature' looks around. I just haven't seen them yet (or noticed them yet). If mesh heads will allow for diversity, custom shapes, non-crappy expressions and such, I would be all for them. I just fear that, for the most part, it will be 2 or 3 creators selling heads that essentially look the same, regardless of customization options.
Cassie
SL Name: Isabeus

Postby Cassie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:46 am

Glaucon wrote:I will accept what you said about there being more 'mature' looks around. I just haven't seen them yet (or noticed them yet). If mesh heads will allow for diversity, custom shapes, non-crappy expressions and such, I would be all for them. I just fear that, for the most part, it will be 2 or 3 creators selling heads that essentially look the same, regardless of customization options.

I find the concept of mature looking skins also quite relative at least in consideration to some heated debates with the lovely skin community fans.
You could check the ongoing skin fair to validate which is mature or not but in my opinion options for mature looking are out there and to some degree they are being used. The fact you see more younger looking people around is another topic.

I don't fear the mesh head because I am against innovation but since I already have to compromise the shape of my body for mesh clothing I was hoping at least to save the head.
There is a slight opportunity for diversity created by Slink and TheShops stores by allowing appliers and each skin does give you a slight new look so there is a larger chance of being different. But I am also against people needing to fight so much for being different because if forced it just brings more questionable results, I am not trying to be special I am try to look pretty under my own eyes screw the others. I don't care if I come across a similar looking person... just means we might get a long on taste.

The real issue is that unless you are willing to learn and make your own head you are left to take what is given and make the best of it.
Godless heathens always waltz on the sky.
Kismet Reyes
SL Name: Scorn Eternal
Caste: Lost it
Role: Slave
Home Stone: About
AkA: Kismet Reyes

Postby Kismet Reyes » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:47 am

I figure that eventually LL and Mesh creators will figure out a way to have mesh heads rigged to the usual SL sliders that we use for the faces. thus enabling.. different faces made from the same mesh base.

Currently I'm anti the clone look.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:08 am

Glaucon wrote:A standard system shape can be altered, right? Quite a few things you can do with it. And sure, maybe it is true that many skins cater to a certain look, mostly quite young, but there have been a lot of skins made. Those wanting to look a bit different should have plenty of options. And with the tattoo layers, a perfectionist doesn't need a whole lot of skills to make adjustments for him or herself.

Actually you can make adjustments to be unique but the idea that the sliders don't require skill is the reason there are so many poorly done avatars in SL. I'd also suggest that most aren't trying to be unique or they wouldn't be paying for shapes. For many, mesh heads will provide a much simpler option for a decent avatar without having to shop for layers, tattoos/makeup & hair bases and developing some level of understanding of the countless sliders for the face. Minimal fuss. So I'd add convenience as another reason to go with a mesh head.

I just fear that, for the most part, it will be 2 or 3 creators selling heads that essentially look the same, regardless of customization options.

I don't think that will be the case now that skin creators are a part of the equation which was not the case with the first mesh head. I can still remember trying several appliers just to get the right nipples for my mesh breasts even though the underlying mesh boob was the same. There were pronounced differences. You can try putting different skins on the same system shape to test the theory. There will be more variety possible with skin appliers even if there are a limited number of creators of the actual mesh heads.

ETA: There are already more than 2-3 creators available.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:24 am

Actually, I made my own eyes and lips tattoos for my skin, because I didnt find exactly that I was looking for.

Too, I bought specific tattoos for some RP situations, like bruises, etc. I wonder how I would be able to use those with a mesh head, actually...
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:44 am

Mesh heads are still a bit 'barbie doll' for me, they glow and have shiny, plasticy skin... the peculiar factor is still too high on this one.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:51 pm

Another issue, with the SLink mesh head.. You cannot test it with the appliers demos proposed by skins creators.... So, if you buy the mesh head, but doesnt find an applier you really like because you were unable to test them, you're screwed...

And well.. More 2K, the mesh head...
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:51 pm

I get why some people like mesh heads, the features don't looks so smooshed. But the difference between the boobs and the head is the ability to make an avatar that is "you": Unique lips, eyes etc. Second life is supposed to about your imagination and the mesh heads kind of take that away and make us look like MMO avatars.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:46 pm

While I appreciate the quality of some meshheads out there, particularly The Shops and Vive9, I don't want to look like a clone. :/ So unless one day I will be able to modify the actual bonestructure of a meshhead I bought, I am not interested.

Much like Elle said, the imagination gets lost when you just drop a head onto your throat and...look like 1000 other girls.

Return to “General”