Trump and Putin Helsinki Summit

Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Trump and Putin Helsinki Summit

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:21 pm

I posted a response to the Trump and Putin Helsinki Summit today in the worst social news sites possible, Yahoo News. In so many words, I said the meeting was necessary. The hateful messages sent my way was astounding but expected. I am a traitor. I’m a Russian troll, a spy. Oddly enough, I thought about all the out of character fighting between people and groups in the game we play on Second Life. We are so polarized. We take offense at the slightest of things, a perceived insult, a difference of opinion, going so far as to ban others or leave groups. We look down our noses at those we disagree with. We fight in a shrinking virtual world, on old, underpowered, overpriced servers and tiny sims. Not unlike the real world with its shrinking resources. We think we’re better than everyone else. We have champagne tastes on a beer budget. Below are some quotes I found from the Russian ambassador to the United Nations and the President of Finland. Further below is my own post that received so much hate.

“We need each other, not because we want to love each other. We don’t want and we don’t need to be loved. We simply need to hold normal, pragmatic relations with a major country upon which… a lot in the world depends” — Vassily Nebenzia, Russian ambassador to the United Nations.

“Even small steps in reducing tensions would be in everybody’s interest” — Finland’s President Sauli Niinistö.

It doesn't matter whether you dislike or like Trump or Putin. Political preferences aside, we need each other, and this is about reaching out to one another, meeting, finding common ground and maintaining peaceful relations on this tiny planetary cradle we call our world. And this was my post today during the Helsinki Summit:

The point of this meeting between the USA and Russia is to prevent war, which would inevitably lead to nuclear annihilation of all of us. For those of you with your heads buried in the sand, for those of you screaming blasphemy for daring to talk with the Russians, for those of you dancing and screaming like apes on top of the nuclear bomb, waving your arms hysterically and pointing fingers of blame and putting politics before common sense, how easily you forget that both sides have enough nuclear firepower pointed at one another to destroy each country and the entire world hundreds of times over. In which case, none of you here today arguing against this meeting will continue to exist. Your arguments against Russia will fall on deaf ears on a dark and dead planet. You don’t get it. Putin knows this. Trump knows this. They get it. And despite our differences, they have to be practical. They know we have to talk. We have to find common ground and ways to scale back.

If John F. Kennedy had chosen to ignore Nikita Khrushchev, refused to talk with him, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, I would never have been born three decades later. None of you arguing with such vitriol against talks with Russia would be here today in the online forums having this discussion. There would be no world today, as you know it.

We’re hypocrites. We blame Russia for interfering in an election, for buying advertisements on Facebook, for an election outcome that came about because of our own doing, not because of some outside influence. How easily we forget how many times the USA has interfered in the elections and overthrow of other countries, how we interfered in the Ukraine, Crimea, and Russian affairs. Yet if Russia told us what we had to do with Hawaii or Puerto Rico in the way we told them what to do about the Ukraine and Crimea, we’d be screaming blood. We're two-faced. And yes, this is the same kind of witch-hunt as the McCarthy Era. It was before my time, and still, I think we should hang our heads in shame for the finger pointing and blame we are doing today.

We have become so polarized. So filled with hate toward one another. And yet, it doesn’t really matter what your political orientation is, whether you’re left or right. The bomb doesn’t care which side you're on. It can destroy everything.

What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Trump and Putin Helsinki Summit

Postby Tantus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm

Best quote of the day:

"No prior president has ever abased himself more abjectly before a tyrant," Mr McCain said in a statement.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:20 pm

I'm personally averse to having a traitor in the White House.

Totally get that you don't care, Danika. But I do. And just because you want to yell about doom and gloom, and possible nuclear war, doesn't mean I'm going to stop pointing out that he's a traitor. And it doesn't mean I'm going to fall in line.

I grew up during the Cold War. I lived on bases that would be the first targets of a nuclear strike in the event of a war between the US and anyone else. So all the stuff you're saying really doesn't phase me. Sorry. :wave:
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:25 am

I don't think most people here are interested in reading yet more Russian state propaganda, Danika.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:20 am

DarbyDollinger wrote:I don't think most people here are interested in reading yet more Russian state propaganda, Danika.

And I'm suppose I'm not the only one not at all interested in reading more Trump shit on this Gorean forum....
Qingwen
SL Name: Qin

Postby Qingwen » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:42 am

Danika Stenvaag wrote:I posted a response to the Trump and Putin Helsinki Summit today in the worst social news sites possible, Yahoo News.

Well if you were looking for trolls no better bridge to peek under than Yahoo News.

One of my fave quotes from a commenter there was "Apparently I'll click on anything!"
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:30 am

Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Hillary Clinton, and the DNC rigged the nomination process and robbed Bernie Sanders of the Democratic nomination. He was screwed over and stabbed in the back by his own party leaders and their arrogance. He had a good chance of beating Trump. Even Trump admitted he was relieved not to have to run against Sanders. So sure, it’s a lot easier to point fingers and blame the Russians, blame witches, blame heathens rather than accept responsibility for the behind closed doors unethical duplicity that led to the party’s own loss.

At this point, I don’t even give two hoots about partisan politics. This post isn’t about Trump or narrow political views. I don’t care if Sylvester the Cat and Tweety Bird are presidents of the USA and Russia so long as we put down our clubs, rakes, and spears, sit down at the table, and work things out. We need to get over ourselves and flavor of politics. Because waiting for the next election or the election after the next to decide who is a worthy leader is not a wise option. If this is what we have to work with, then work with what we have. Tensions are way too high between well armed nuclear super powers and we need to lessen these tensions for the sake of all humanity. For the future of our world.

I’ll take Sylvester and Tweety for $200 Alex.

What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
js3915
SL Name: Niccole

Postby js3915 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Yahoo news might as well be CNN news, all they spew is racist crap from the party of hatred.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Go to Facebook. Thousands of political groups. Or try Reddit.
Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Postby Vector » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:30 am

Sasi wrote:Go to Facebook. Thousands of political groups. Or try Reddit.

Agreed. Thread locked. There are hundreds of other sites where you can air your political views, but not here, however well intentioned.

V
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.

Return to “General”