Gor/John Norman Completist

Discussions about John Norman, and his books.

How much of a JN completist are you?

All of Gor
8%
Most of Gor
23%
Some of Gor
27%
None of Gor
No votes
All of Telnarian
4%
Some of Telnarian
4%
None of Telnarian
12%
All of other JN
No votes
Some of other JN
12%
None of other JN
12%

Total votes: 26
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Gor/John Norman Completist

Postby Garian » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:57 am

Feel free to elaborate.
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: Gor/John Norman Completist

Postby Tamar Luminos » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:39 am

I have most of the Gor books, plan to collect them all but I'm picky- want the old, beautiful covers and not the new 'blah' covers. I also have "Imaginative Sex" because it looked fun. Don't know that I'll collect the others by him but I might one of these days if it pops up on my radar.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:59 pm

So far, I have read 30 books (11 on paper, the rest on kindle version), I plan to have read all of them before May, then, to read Plunders which will be released in August.

A real challenge, because the description of Norman does of women is just deeply iriking (and unrealistic, like those free who insult and demean a man whose help they need), but it opens more opportunities for my RP, for my character (when I am motivated to RP, not much actually...)

Though, often, I have to confront people who didn't read the books, or just a few but try to limit my RP, to impose me their onlineisms.... And it's discouraging...
Anarch
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:52 pm

I've read at least 5 completely.

Tarnsman, Outlaw, Priest-Kings, Assassins and Captive... and way too many shards and pieces of all the rest. Enough to understand the genre on a decent level at least, but I plan on much more actively reading more and the rest of them over the coming weeks, working on Kur of Gor at the moment.

It's definitely good to read them, only a while ago someone was quoting things from Kur of Gor, and without context of the chapter / storyline those quotes they picked could've appeared to have had a completely different meaning.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:24 am

I read the first 15 books completely, then stopped somewhere in the middle of 16 as summer holiday ended. I might need to start that one over since i totally lost track by now. I read smugglers too when it came out since i needed the info to play my role as panther woman as best i could. It's been a few years (i think?) since i picked up a Gor novel since the last holidays i went for the GoT series instead.

I read the books and i do mostly enjoy the plots. The characters often annoy the crap out of me - especially the female ones - but there are also scenes here and there that just tickle me just right. I enjoy how Norman sometimes describe one thing and leaves it up to the reader to read between the lines a whole other story. Often it's when he lets us look into a characters head - and then just after describes the characters actions that might be entirely contradictory to the characters thoughts. It aways makes me chuckle and i try to use that in my portray of my characters in rp too. People claim theres a ton of contradictions in the books, but reading several books quite often explains a whole lot and i find there are not really that many contradictions at all. The books are allright for a boring summer holiday in a camper van during endless rain and storms and as oddly written i sometimes think they are, they still help me learn more of this strange english language. I am not enough of a John Norman fan to start on anything else of the author to be honest. I read the books to learn of the lore so i can use it in my SL Gor roleplay. I find Normans writing style annoying and often tedious in his philosophical ramblings. The strange meticulous descriptions of odd details i sometimes find interesting and helpful for roleplay and sometimes i just go "ooooooh fuck it - whyy oh why do i need to know this??"

I answered "Some of Gor". I describe the books with words as annoying and tedious, but to read 16 books, there has to be some sort of appeal to me. I am not done with the Gor books just yet.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Garian

Postby Garian » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:52 am

I intend to read all of his work, yet I am only mostly done with Smugglers and Rebels. I will finish by Plunder's release and finish Plunder swiftly, I hope. I've read Imaginative Sex, the first Telnarian, some of Norman Invasions, some of The Totems of Abydos, and brief glimpses into his other works.

It seems to me his work is connected enough that as one interested in his worlds for whatever reason would benefit from reading the entirety of his work. Specifically, Imaginative Sex provides a commentary to Gor, Telnarian provides an alternate take on Gorean protocol, and Norman Invasions has short stories set in Gor (Specifically: Chapters 19, 20, 21, 27, and 29).

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:14 pm

Out of interest, what's Imaginative Sex like? There's a part of me that balks at reading a non-fic sex guide by a man with such an (apparent) Madonna-Whore complex, but I'm always intrigued when I remember he wrote one.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:37 pm

I've read all the Gor books, initially not in order, but then again chronologically, and about 2/3rds were in hardcopy book form, with some online/pdfs. I own quite a few and like Tamar prefer the publications with the Boris Vallejo artwork rather than the newer releases, though I have some of those too.

I've also read all the 4 Telnarian books and would suggest if you read Gor to simply improve your RP knowledge and gain inspiration for that, they are worth a read. Same themes and the familiar expository prose and musings we all know and love. :mrgreen:

I've also read Imaginative Sex. It seems rather dated now on many levels, but perhaps using your sexual imagination was a much newer concept to the masses back then - being released around the time that the Joy of Sex was also published - a sign of the times.
He does talk about women being equal to men in this essay too, certainly not inferior, and praises monogamy and marriage as well as love and rationality. It's an interesting read - and I'd personally and happily shove it up the arse of any self-proclaimed lifestylers whom claim to revere and know Norman, yet have no clue about his real beliefs. There is no Madonna-Whore complex here. Women are fully the equal of their male partner regardless of the degree of submissive or dominant traits present in either.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:37 pm

serene mistwood wrote: There is no Madonna-Whore complex here. Women are fully the equal of their male partner regardless of the degree of submissive or dominant traits present in either.

Interesting. I might have to give it a shot.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Garian

Postby Garian » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:38 am

serene mistwood wrote:I've read all the Gor books, initially not in order, but then again chronologically, and about 2/3rds were in hardcopy book form, with some online/pdfs. I own quite a few and like Tamar prefer the publications with the Boris Vallejo artwork rather than the newer releases, though I have some of those too.

I should have mentioned that I read the new release ebook revisions in order in 07/08 and the new releases as they came out. Since then, I've only revisited chapters here and there, along with my notes and memory.

Tarnsman paperback and several online quotes and web articles from 98-06.

I think I could be missing some things from the pre-revisions. I'm working on a project to compare them thoroughly, though something of the sort was started by Simon_of_Tabor on Gorchronicles.com.

I like the PDF indexing and carrying the entire series in one ereader. Boris art is awesome, but I can see it on my tablet. There is something about the paperbacks being neat though. I will likely get a whole set for the comparison project, and then offer them for sale because I don't like having many physical books.

serene mistwood wrote:I've also read all the 4 Telnarian books and would suggest if you read Gor to simply improve your RP knowledge and gain inspiration for that, they are worth a read. Same themes and the familiar expository prose and musings we all know and love. :mrgreen:

I'm interested to know if they have an intriguing plot throughout the series and in what way they differ, if at all, in protocol and philosophy.

serene mistwood wrote:I've also read Imaginative Sex. It seems rather dated now on many levels, but perhaps using your sexual imagination was a much newer concept to the masses back then - being released around the time that the Joy of Sex was also published - a sign of the times.
He does talk about women being equal to men in this essay too, certainly not inferior, and praises monogamy and marriage as well as love and rationality. It's an interesting read - and I'd personally and happily shove it up the arse of any self-proclaimed lifestylers whom claim to revere and know Norman, yet have no clue about his real beliefs. There is no Madonna-Whore complex here. Women are fully the equal of their male partner regardless of the degree of submissive or dominant traits present in either.

Dated in some ways, agreed, though important enough in other ways for even the current times, if only it wasn't obscure.

It's interesting you mention women being equal and not inferior as a point of Norman's. I actually got a slightly different conception from this book, though I think I know what you are referring to by saying that. Imaginative Sex elaborates a lot of points that exist yet are less obvious within the Gor novels, such as there being a free companion and slave in every female, and both in one is desirable. It even explains that females should express a bit of dominance every once in a while (though not necessarily directed sexually at the partner) to feel happier. However, I think the main idea is that these fantasies are starting on our Earth mentality, rooted in this modern society, and therefore takes the form of consensual fantasy to break the barrier into M/s. Norman says that these fantasies are molding realities and they express the deep truth of women being the weaker sex and all her other natural complementaries to dominant males. It is hinted that Gor's difference is that there is nowhere to run in a society backing up such institution. Although Gor has legal slavery, I think there is a similar process involved there, of exploring partnerships that bring happiness and fulfillment.

Rebels of Gor

Return to “Chronicles of Counter Earth”