Rive-de-Bois

Please have patience while we try and get every ones home pages back up.
AgentRonin
SL Name: agentronin
Home Stone: Rive-de-Bois

Rive-de-Bois

Postby AgentRonin » Fri May 11, 2018 12:20 am

A new sim of mine is currently under construction in the Counter Earth Grid. This is an OpenSim grid:
https://counterearthgrid.weebly.com/
I have started this thread to discuss among potential role players there what the sim rules should be. What sim rules would make it the most fun to be there and still be consistent with the books?

Because what is being constructed on Counter Earth grid is an entire gorean continent of adjacent regions of which the Rive-de-Bois region is part, expect the character of roleplay to be different than it is in SL, especially more real. It is intended, if practical, this region be about as dangerous as Gor generally is in the books, and possibly as real.

The region's name is Rive-de-Bois, which is also the name of the village. This name translates to River of Forest. Not much is said about it in the books, which gives broad latitude regarding what kind of gorean place it can be. And so the sim is being built upon these suppositions:
• The village is there because it is farthest upstream a barge can get to on the Laurius river.
• The river becomes wide enough for barges there because there are several tributaries that converge near there.
• The tributaries are too small to be seen on a large scale map.
• The industries that support the village are logging (panthers don't like that), animal skins - many of which are traded for with panthers, farming, slave trade, and the mercenary base.

Near the stream and creek tributaries to the north are panther girl camps. With the exception of their exchange points this is a dangerous area. The creeks are navigable only by canoe sized watercraft.

Once the Counter Earth combat meter is ready this will be a raidable region.

Issues I would like to start discussions with are:
• Should a captive be allowed to have in limits a maximum capture time, or should it be indefinite? If a limit is to be allowed what should be the minimum maximum capture time allowed? Three days? Three hours? One day?
• Should there be force collaring, and should it be against sim rules to have in a roleplayer's limits no force collaring?
• Should sim rules allow a limit for captives of "No RP for X minutes and I am out" ?
• Should Min-Map for the region be disabled for all by means of Key Experiences?
• Should merchants headed for, or traveling away from, the city on the roads outside it risk raids by outlaws including panthers?
• Any comments regarding how the city should be governed.
• Suggestions regarding where in OpenSim to get Moon Dance circles with surrounding dance animations, and the four stakes in the center to bind a victim to that also includes appropriate animations, are appreciated.

To get to Rive-de-Bois go to: https://counterearthgrid.weebly.com/ , scroll half way down, and follow the instructions there. You will land in the Ship of Acquisition region. Once you have your free Bento mesh avatar from the delivery terminal there, do a search for the "Rive-de-Bois" region in the World Map and use that map’s Teleport button to go there. Free clothing, weapons, more female avatars, and other stuff are available in the "Sardar Fair" region. Nothing you have in SL is transferable to the Counter Earth Grid.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Rive-de-Bois

Postby Sasi » Sat May 12, 2018 12:37 am

I think you should start assuming that your players are adult and mature. The role play is a collaborative game. Everyone should be able to deal with their RP partners when they face an issue with a scene without the intervention of a moderator.

However, Gor is an environment where capture, death, slavery happen (if some players have an issue with these situations, they should rethink their participation in such a RP environment).

Force collar, rape, sex, torture, death, etc, are normal consequences of IC actions. If players don't want to play them, have their character ending up into collar, killed etc, they should just stay out of troubles. Not to mention there is often the solution to FTB a scene where you're truly uncomfortable.

Of course, you should not force a player to play with someone with whom his RP style don't match (like an one liner, wanting to collar a woman who is a para-rper...). These players should have enough maturity to work out, OOCly, a solution without bothering a moderator. And if not, just go their way, in separate directions, without throwing a tantrum.
Same for capture time... People should always be able to collaborate in OOC

I think the best way to avoid these annoying situations is to decide of what kind of RP community you want in your sim and fix RP standards that people to which people will have to conform.

Also, two points which should be enforced: IC and OOC separation. In OOC, everyone are equal, no master, no mistress, no slave and all your players should be able to distance themselves from their character (less dramas).
And the RP etiquette: Very very important.

Good luck!
AgentRonin
SL Name: agentronin
Home Stone: Rive-de-Bois

Postby AgentRonin » Tue May 15, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for you reply, but I started with this thread not to discuss common RP etiquette, but to get feedback on what sim rules are in greatest demand in the Counter Earth Grid. The discussion I am seeking is how real should the place be.

For example, In SL there are closely knit panther bands who want the excitement of raiding, but do not want capture and sailing to mean a likely permanent change to their story line. Namely, they do not want their SL RP activities to be that of a slave for the duration of the existence of their character in Gor. And so we see a three day capture limits, or other time limits. This means after having fun with captivity RP for a few days they want to get back to their band. But if the RP were played strictly BTB, the captive would never make it back.

In the Counter Earth Grid there is no such thing as GE. It is all BTB. In that world I have been given the opinion their should be no rules, no moderators, and what happens to your character happens just as it would if Gor were real. I seek a discussion that gives me a sense of how many there are that really want to play that way.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed May 16, 2018 4:45 am

AgentRonin wrote:But if the RP were played strictly BTB, the captive would never make it back.

That is how it is in most RP genres outside SL Gor in my experience anyhow. :P
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Wed May 16, 2018 5:20 am

In role play, the RP etiquette is everything. One of its rules makes very clear that IC actions = IC consequences. And it means, so, that these consequences may be, definitive....

People with whom I play, don't set these 3 day capture limit, no slavery, no force collar, etc. I don't play with princesses. The respect and the enforcement of the RP etiquette is what make people considering more seriously the

The only limits I find acceptable are those which prevent any non sense action (not realistic in the lore), any breach to the RP etiquette and as well, the right for any player to refuse to play with people with whom their RP styles definitely don't mesh (if you're a para-player, you may not find enjoyable a scene with a one liner, and vice-versa).

In SL Gor, the problem is this one: Only a tiny minority of people play BTB. We tried this experience, last year. We failed at interesting people, most refused to change their snowflake background. In fact, those who joined the sim mostly came from other RP environment where nobody keep the same character for years. Because, what do you call BTB, finally? Will you set an application where people will be required to renounce to their snowflake backstories? You know, the kind of one where their char swore loyalty to 10 different home stones, whose parents are half mamba, half torvi and respectively scribe and physician in a Southern city? Char who has been scribe, warrior, physician and is now a slaver? Will you ban these exotic slaves with super powers like night vision, super sense of smell, natural claws etc? All these non sense characters accepted everywhere and which are not BTB?

You fear that your panther girls refuse to accept a permanent capture? Well, make sure that men they would capture, would have to comply as well with the same rule. The possibility of ending up collared, in SL Gor, should be considered like a part of a storyline, of any storyline. Doesn't matter if you're not a sub in RL. No need to be a sub to play a slave. It's all about RP (hence the RP etiquette which enforces as well the separation between IC and OOC and the necessary distance to keep between the player and the character).
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Thu May 17, 2018 8:25 am

AgentRonin wrote:Once the Counter Earth combat meter is ready this will be a raidable region.

Issues I would like to start discussions with are:
• Should a captive be allowed to have in limits a maximum capture time, or should it be indefinite? If a limit is to be allowed what should be the minimum maximum capture time allowed? Three days? Three hours? One day?
• Should there be force collaring, and should it be against sim rules to have in a roleplayer's limits no force collaring?
• Should sim rules allow a limit for captives of "No RP for X minutes and I am out" ?
• Should Min-Map for the region be disabled for all by means of Key Experiences?
• Should merchants headed for, or traveling away from, the city on the roads outside it risk raids by outlaws including panthers?
• Any comments regarding how the city should be governed.
• Suggestions regarding where in OpenSim to get Moon Dance circles with surrounding dance animations, and the four stakes in the center to bind a victim to that also includes appropriate animations, are appreciated.

To get to Rive-de-Bois go to: https://counterearthgrid.weebly.com/ , scroll half way down, and follow the instructions there. You will land in the Ship of Acquisition region. Once you have your free Bento mesh avatar from the delivery terminal there, do a search for the "Rive-de-Bois" region in the World Map and use that map’s Teleport button to go there. Free clothing, weapons, more female avatars, and other stuff are available in the "Sardar Fair" region. Nothing you have in SL is transferable to the Counter Earth Grid.

The difference between rulesets could be explained by pre-BTB and post-BTB SL Gor.

I've always felt there should be a sim allowance for indefinite captivity, but more practically to be discussed between captor and captive. As a captor you don't always have time to roleplay daily and if your captive is chained to a wall, with nothing to do for a week it's not a sensible situation. Captivity for a minimum of 3 days should be enforced before roleplaying an escape becomes possible. People managed being captured for days just fine in old-Gor without 'birding for help' (When you'd roleplay pulling a pet bird out from your shirt, tying a message to its leg and releasing it from your cage).

The No-Force Collaring limit came about because men who were 'protecting' slaves and free women, would say 'I'm your protector now, there're a lot of bad people in Gor so put these limits in your profile and no one can harm you.' I remember raids where we'd take captives, and these others laying in their binds would IM us with "You can't harm our slaves, we made them change their limits, haha!" It hardly ever affected the flow of roleplay for a captive, but on a wider scale watered down the danger of roleplaying in Gor as people turned to OOC limits, to protect them from common IC situations.

Turning off minimapping is only one feature, you'd need to disable radar and enforce camera constraints too. When I was raiding, I used camming more than anything else. Being able to swing your camera across the sim, get a quick bird's eye view of the action and your route there. If people are indoors then toggle-off prims, zoom in to check their health and decide your move. This all happens in a couple of seconds and you're on the move again, giving a much clearer picture of the battle than the minimap which I could do without, but camming long distances is the real threat in raids.

I don't think you can be part-welcoming and part-dangerous, whichever direction your Gorean sim takes you need to be all in. So either you recreate the threats of Gor with dangers present upon the roads, within the walls, without limits to shield anyone. As a consequence you'll have a harder time becoming established as post-BTB, most became comfortable with the easier side of Gor where roleplay revolved around companionships and a bit of M/s to compliment the family where slaves can substitute for the role of children.

Return to “Cities/Sims”