Isle of Illyros - Open now!

Please have patience while we try and get every ones home pages back up.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Re: Isle of Illyros - Open now!

Postby Sasi » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:29 pm

Another problem is that many people log at different times, not always easy to meet...
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:33 am

I'm psyched about playing there, even got Harlequin to app in. But this week's kicking our butts. Holiday stuff, doctor's appointments, major home improvement/maintenance shit to get done before winter hits us proper, haven't even logged into SL in a few days now. >.<

Hoping to have some time this weekend!
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:41 am

A lot of people, me included, simply find full length para RP too slow, too boring.

That is my issue with finding places to RP in second life, these days. It is either non-RP or 3 syllable RP, or it goes to the other extreme: full para, having to wait 10 minutes for the other person to post their novel, etc.

Weird, in a way. Because it is easy to find lots of people that sit on the reasonable, happy mean (semi-para or whatever you call it), that clearly prefer it, but somehow it seems that sims always veer towards the extremes.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:20 am

Uh, maybe people misread my post, but we are getting new applications daily. Just was trying to spur on more people to come over.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:29 am

Glaucon wrote:Weird, in a way. Because it is easy to find lots of people that sit on the reasonable, happy mean (semi-para or whatever you call it), that clearly prefer it, but somehow it seems that sims always veer towards the extremes.

As far as I'm concerned we are a semi-paragraph RP sim, my own emotes often vary between long (multiple paragraphs) and short (single paragraph, 5-8 lines) posts, as do those of the people I RP with. I'm fine with either.

When the pace is calm though and the scene is small, I might often take 6-10 minutes per emote. In the most extreme cases I once or twice made people wait 20+ minutes because I completely got caught up in writing and lost track of time... (oops). But it wouldn't be right to say that I don't engage in quicker / shorter emote scenes either.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:47 am

I (and well... lots of people outside of the para-RP-crowd) would find 'between multiple paragraphs and short 5-8 lines' with 6 to 10 minutes wait to be ... quite long. Pretty much all (except, apparently, para-ers themselves) would call that para RP.

I am not saying it is 'wrong'. Preference, ultimately. I am just noticing the huge gap between what are called 'one liners' and what you are describing. I mean... there is quite some distance between 1 line and...5 to 8 being 'short'. :)

I guess the many RP-ers that fall in between (probably not considered 'true RPers' by some) are left to seek each other out in sims dominated by one-line RP-ers. Because, as soon as a sim turns into a 'serious RP sim' and gains traction, it usually flips para quickly.

One sim owner I know even goes so far as to kick para RPers out of her 'mixed' sim, as soon as they start showing signs of insisting others adhere to para RP conventions. She argues that they will soon set the tone, dominate, turn others away. And then pick up their ball and go play somewhere else, leaving the sim empty.

Not my problem, fortunately, but if I were to do an RP sim and try to steer towards my own preference, I'd be hard pressed on how to deal with the problem of, on the one hand, making a sim focused on RP, but at the same time, trying to stop it from becoming the playground of aspiring novelists. Maybe I'd hand out emoters with an in build 'twitter'-like function. Go over a certain number of characters, and it turns red, telling the players that their post is running too long. :twisted: (Good thing for me that this forum doesn't have that function, btw.)

Actually... I wonder if an RP sim like that might not become very popular.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:11 am

Given your long and (ironically) verbose history of railing against RP that is longer than your very subjective preference, I don't think this sim would be for you, Glaucon.

It's a standalone sim without any meters that requires applications, where RP length (and posting time) varies but tends to err on the long side, with its own contained lore, factions and combat system. It really is not going to be for everyone. And that's okay. I'd go as far as to say that is the point, even.

Do you think you might make another thread to continue your ranting about para RP, please?
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Oor wrote:Do you think you might make another thread to continue your ranting about para RP, please?

Did people used to get upset this quickly when they were talking about a combat-oriented sim and someone brought up the usual complaints against pew pew again? I don't think so.

But fine. I'll leave this thread be. Group-harmony restored. I always go out of my way to make you happy.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:31 pm

Glaucon wrote:I'll leave this thread be.

Thanks. Debate in sim advertising threads is always a little crass.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Postby Vector » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:52 pm

Just as a side note (to anyone interested), Anarch has been given full moderator power on this specific forum as it is his. He therefore is able to remove/edit any post by any person (including this one) as he sees fit.

This is not to be viewed as a red rag to a bull if your post suddenly vanishes as it (the forum) is sanitised to keep it relevant.

Hit me up in a PM if you need to speak about it.

Thanks.

Vector.
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.

Return to “Cities/Sims”