Crowdfunding Gorean World Guide and RPG

Advertise your random wares, Market openings, etc here.
grim
SL Name: EnnAy

Crowdfunding Gorean World Guide and RPG

Postby grim » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:25 am

Hi there,
I'm running a project to create both an authorised tabletop role-playing game set in the world of Gor and a world book/encyclopaedia of Gorean world information. I need to reach out to the Gorean community for support to help raise the money needed to illustrate the books with anything like the degree of lavishness and respect I feel that Gor and its fans deserve. More details available here:
http://igg.me/at/Gor
Please help me get the word out to other fans!
Glaucon

Re: Crowdfunding Gorean World Guide and RPG

Postby Glaucon » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Hmmm, question. You say authorized. Does that mean you actually have Norman's permission to do this? Directly or through his publisher?

I mean... if you want crowd-funding, it sounds like a (potentially) commercial project. Norman doesn't seem to mind us playing out his world, but most of that is non-commercial or small-scale. At the same time, he doesn't seem to be the type to authorize anything having to do with his creation lightly (probably based on his experience with those movies).

I'd say that you really should ensure the authorization first, before doing crowd-funding.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Hoo boy.

Flexible Funding. I'm not even going to get INTO that beyond saying if you're accepting flexible funding, what happens if you're underfunded?

Second, you say you have the rights, but there's legal ways to show that without showing your money exhanges, etc. By not offering proof, added to flexible funding, this feels like a scam, or at least a project by someone -very- over-eager. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but there's no proof of it. And when you're asking people to give their hard-earned money, it's your duty to offer that proof.

Third, you're asking for 5k for an "artist unnamed"... does that mean you don't have an artist yet? Why not publish the books now, for low prices as e-books, then use thatmoney to make a hard copy book with art? Crowdfunding shouldn't be your first step.

You say your costs are only for paying the project people... where are the funds for the printing costs coming from? DO you already have financial backing/a plan for printing those? If so, why the crowd funding?

Additionally, you say in some areas that the money is for everyone involved in the project, in others that it goes just for art. I'm honestly confused as to which is the case?

If it seems like I'm being harsh, I am. My own team is working on crowdfunding a project, and so I've learned a lot of pitfalls people run into during this and I see a lot of red flags here.

I'm not saying you're trying to decieve, anything like that, but this does seem like you either aren't telling the whole story or haven't planned this out. In either case, to be asking people to donate 5 grand (Which you will keep no matter what) means you really have to have a better laid out plan in my opinion.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Dyce
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Postby Dyce » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 am

This isn't authorized.

Why do I know that?

Because there was a woman back in the first Imperial Ar which was... very back in the day... 2009 or so, maybe? I can't remember. Anyway.

She had the EXACT SAME IDEA.

Guess what?

John Norman told her to halt all progress or get ready for a lawsuit after I pressed her to seek copyright permissions.

I doubt ole Johnny's changed his attitude.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:58 am

There are a lot of scammers using crowdfunding these days, grim.

It's probably a good idea to provide evidence that you're legit before asking people for money.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:55 pm

My guess is that he is probably honest enough, and really enthusiastic about his idea. Just hasn't really thought it through.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:56 pm

http://timbrannan.blogspot.co.uk/2014/0 ... rview.html

JD: We've got the license for a good few years, with options for an extension. Obviously whatever further material we produce beyond the core two books won't be canonical but I'd like to try and do something beyond the normal adventure books. I've never really liked adventure books as they're not great value for money in and of themselves. If you can combine them with a travelogue, details, parts that can be re-used by the Games Master then they become much more useful. I'd quite like to trace Tarl's steps with a series of adventures adding and fleshing things out - non-canonically - filling in some of the gaps. I also want to make the Panther Girls closer to the self-scarifying badasses they're initially described as, I think that should appeal to some people.

So apparently they have the license to make this.
Dyce
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Postby Dyce » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:16 pm

Apparently... sure...

Please post the public license information or the publisher's attorney handling such licensing to be reviewed. Or some other real-world information that can be contacted and verified by public authorities that such licensing is issued.

Otherwise, any fool can say they have a license to something.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Glaucon wrote:My guess is that he is probably honest enough, and really enthusiastic about his idea. Just hasn't really thought it through.

The above is retracted. More likely a case of living in lala-land.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:47 am

The lack of responses makes me wonder.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.

Return to “General Advertising”