Gorean Animals: Links?

Need to find something? Ask Here!
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Gorean Animals: Links?

Postby FeorieFrimon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:21 pm

Hey guys! I'm working on a sim build and I need Gorean animals. Like, as many as I can possibly get that actually look good.

I found this and I'm using it for a very general reference (because I'm -super- lazy): http://www.angelfire.com/ky3/bakah/animalsplants.html

I haven't looked all these bad boys up, but do you guys know any actual good mesh animal builders? And if so, can you slap down some links for me for some of these? And what an earth-ish equivalent would me?

armored gatch -
found in the inland rain forests of Schendi, it is a type of marsupial mammal
Book 13: Explorers of Gor, page 312
(Armadillo maybe?)

forest sleen -
double fanged, six legged mammal, twenty feet in length, weighing about 1100 pounds
the hunting sleen is a hunter of men. It is 20 feet in length and weighs eleven hundred pounds. This domesticated forest sleen is double-fanged and six-footed. It's tail tends to switch back and forth, getting rigid, as it hunts, it's ears flatten against it's head just prior to it's final 'charge' attack on it's prey.
Book 12: Beasts of Gor, pages 12-13
(I'd LOVE a good link for an awesome mesh sleen)

frevet -
small, quick, insectivorous mammal: often kept in homes for insect control
Book 21: Mercenaries of Gor, page 276
(ferret?)

herlit -
large raptorhaving a wingspan of 6-8 feet; is carnivorous, and has yellow feathers tipped with black; also called 'Sun-Striker' or 'out-of-the-sun-it-strikes', from its habit of striking with the sun above and behind it; inhabits the Barrens.
Book 17: Savages of Gor, page 143.
Book 18: Blood Brothers of gor, page 315
(eagle?)

high tharlarion
(Dinosaur Raptor thing?)

kailiauk, Barrens -
gigantic dangerous beasts standing twenty to twenty five hands at the shoulder and weigh as much as two tons; ruminant; tawny with red and brown markings onhaunches; they migrate across the Barrens in massive herds,hunted by the Red Savages and those who trade in their hides; have a trident horn.
Book 17: Savages of Gor, pages 40 and 95
(Elk? Moose?)

ul -
giant, carnivorous pterodactyl
(Does anyone remember this? What book it's in?)

zeder -
small, sleen like carnivorous mammal which inhabits the rainforests inland of Schendi especially along the Ua River; grows to c. 2' and weights eight to ten pounds; is diurnal; can swim very well; builds a stick and mud nest in the branches of a tree where it spends the night
(Beaver...ish?)
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Gorean Animals: Links?

Postby Tantus » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:29 pm

Sang Fori (Kim Lefavre) was the only store I recall making a genuine effort on Gorean animals.

G&S also have an assortment of beasts, but I think they all need feeding or they will become sad!

Those are all static animals.

Tomato Park (Nicehoon Langer) sell free roaming sheep, which I had moonlighting as verr.

Animania (Vinnie Baxter) have a collection of free roaming birds (walking and swimming), some snakes and things too.

Feather My Nest (Mickey Heaney) sell free roaming sea gulls which gave a nice effect over water.

Cute animals? HPMD and Jian (Kalia Firelyte) have mongoose and raccoons that could pass as leem.

Are you building a marsh? Botanical (Kriss Lehmann) has Dragonfly emitters.

And Cerridwen's Cauldron (Elicio Ember) sell weird and alien looking plants, which wouldn't be out of place on a Gorean sim! But every builder imagines Gor as Earth.

Other than the G&S and 'cute' animals, I've used all of the others in builds and they do fit the scene.
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:49 am

Tantus wrote:G&S also have an assortment of beasts, but I think they all need feeding or they will become sad!

Actually they'll die and turn black. It's rather scary.
However, if you have a G&S oven you can later turn them into sausages and steak.
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Adlai
SL Name: adlai.rae

Postby Adlai » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:55 pm

armored gatch -
found in the inland rain forests of Schendi, it is a type of marsupial mammal
Book 13: Explorers of Gor, page 312
(Armadillo maybe?)

Or a pangolin?
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/pa ... box/413976

forest sleen -
double fanged, six legged mammal, twenty feet in length, weighing about 1100 pounds
the hunting sleen is a hunter of men. It is 20 feet in length and weighs eleven hundred pounds. This domesticated forest sleen is double-fanged and six-footed. It's tail tends to switch back and forth, getting rigid, as it hunts, it's ears flatten against it's head just prior to it's final 'charge' attack on it's prey.
Book 12: Beasts of Gor, pages 12-13
(I'd LOVE a good link for an awesome mesh sleen)

This website describes a sleen very well:
http://www.moonproductions.com/Fantasy/ ... sleen.html
Builders seem to forget about the fur on the sleen. I've seen some sleen animals in SL that look like komodo dragons with an extra pair of legs. I stumbled across this builder when looking for a tarn:
Sculpty Creations Animals

frevet -
small, quick, insectivorous mammal: often kept in homes for insect control
Book 21: Mercenaries of Gor, page 276
(ferret?)

Ferrets are carnivores. With it being an insectivore, I would look for a small rodent that has a pointy snout, like a shrew.

herlit -
large raptorhaving a wingspan of 6-8 feet; is carnivorous, and has yellow feathers tipped with black; also called 'Sun-Striker' or 'out-of-the-sun-it-strikes', from its habit of striking with the sun above and behind it; inhabits the Barrens.
Book 17: Savages of Gor, page 143.
Book 18: Blood Brothers of gor, page 315
(eagle?)

Eagle

high tharlarion
(Dinosaur Raptor thing?)

There are several types of tharlarian. Here's a description of a marsh tharlarion:
"My leg slipped from the island into the water and suddenly a tiny tharlarion struck it, seizing his bit of flesh and backing, tail whipping, away. My leg was out of the water, but now the water seemed yellow with the flashing bodies of tiny tharlarion, and beyond them, I heard the hoarse grunting of the great marsh tharlarion, some of which grow to be more than thirty feet in length, weighing more than half a hundred men." — Raiders of Gor, page 58.
http://www.moonproductions.com/Fantasy/ ... tharl.html

kailiauk, Barrens -
gigantic dangerous beasts standing twenty to twenty five hands at the shoulder and weigh as much as two tons; ruminant; tawny with red and brown markings onhaunches; they migrate across the Barrens in massive herds,hunted by the Red Savages and those who trade in their hides; have a trident horn.
Book 17: Savages of Gor, pages 40 and 95
(Elk? Moose?)

"Even past me there thundered a lumbering herd of startled, short-bunked kailiauk, a stocky, awkward ruminant of the plains, tawny, wild, heavy, their haunches marked in red and brown bars, their wide heads bristling with a trident of horns…" — Nomads of Gor, page 2.
Elk may be too graceful. It's thickly massive and has three horns. Haven't seen a build for it.

ul -
giant, carnivorous pterodactyl
(Does anyone remember this? What book it's in?)

Winged tharlarion mentioned in Outlaw and Raiders.
"Also, at night, crossing the bright disks of Gor's three moons might occasionally be seen the silent, predatory shadow of the ul, a giant pterodactyl ranging far from its native swamps in the delta of the Vosk." — Outlaw of Gor
"Not only must they fear the march sharks and the carnivorous eels which frequent the lower delta, not to mention the various species of aggressive water tharlarion and the winged, monstrous, hissing, predatory UI, but they must fear, perhaps most of all, men, and of these, most of all, the men of Port Kar." — Raiders of Gor, page 8 .
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Fl ... nd/6066447

zeder -
small, sleen like carnivorous mammal which inhabits the rainforests inland of Schendi especially along the Ua River; grows to c. 2' and weights eight to ten pounds; is diurnal; can swim very well; builds a stick and mud nest in the branches of a tree where it spends the night

"Conspicuously absent in the rain forests of the Ua were sleen. There is, however, a sleenlike animal, though much smaller, about two feet in length and some eight to ten pounds in weight, the zeder, which frequents the Ua and her tributaries. It knifes through the water by day and, at night, returns to its nest, built from sticks and mud in the branches of a tree overlooking the water." — Explorers of Gor, page 312.
The zeder represents the closest thing to a sleen in the rain forest. So a furry lizard canine tree climber. LOL
I don't think should be six-legged...
Ground sloth?
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Je ... ii/6151864
"The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense." Tom Clancy
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:48 pm

These are SUPER helpful. The plants were awesome too! Thanks guys! I can't wait to show you pics!! :)
Adlai
SL Name: adlai.rae

Postby Adlai » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:55 pm

Yeah, please post!! :D
"The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense." Tom Clancy

Return to “Merchandise Help”