GM meter - There is no skill involved?

Is there skill involved in becoming a good GM meter combattant?

Yes.
42%
Yes.
42%
No.
8%
No.
8%

Total votes: 78
Glaucon

Re: GM meter - There is no skill involved?

Postby Glaucon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:19 pm

Not sure I agree with you, Blackwolf. If the sim lags badly... server-side... does it really affect your FPS, on your end? I think they are really unconnected. Of course, with lots of avi's running around, your PC will have to do more work rendering all that. But that would be the case if the sim wasn't lagging at all (server-side) as well. And if you have a great PC, and you lag, you may be able to look around without any loss of FPS, but you 'wade' just as much as everyone else, and you may shoot/swing many times, but most of that won't register server-side.

This is my understanding, anyway. I could be totally wrong.
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Glaucon wrote:Not sure I agree with you, Blackwolf. If the sim lags badly... server-side... does it really affect your FPS, on your end? I think they are really unconnected. Of course, with lots of avi's running around, your PC will have to do more work rendering all that. But that would be the case if the sim wasn't lagging at all (server-side) as well. And if you have a great PC, and you lag, you may be able to look around without any loss of FPS, but you 'wade' just as much as everyone else, and you may shoot/swing many times, but most of that won't register server-side.

This is my understanding, anyway. I could be totally wrong.

Yeah I'm not an expert on these things but if the PC is rendering things much faster than another PC lag wont affect you as much. That's how I understand it.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:05 pm

We need help, clearly. :shock:

EXPERTS!!!! We need you!
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:12 pm

Glaucon wrote:We need help, clearly. :shock:

EXPERTS!!!! We need you!

I'll second that! Where is my bottle of Jack?
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 am

If a sim lags the lag will be the same for everyone. (This is called sim FPS)

If your computer however isn't as good as someone elses you might have bad cases of "slideshow" action sometimes, where the other person will see his visuals smoothly still. So while you have to try and fight with 2 frame updates per second, the other person will be able to smoothly aim his cursor at you.

Another problem with low personal FPS is that it also lags your input most of the time. If your PC is doing all the effort in the world to be able to keep up with the graphics it has to show (and can only manage to give you a slideshow as result) it'll also delay keyboard and mouse input. So you won't be swinging your sword as much or with as good timing as someone who has a better machine.

So sim FPS is the same for everyone, if a sim lags out it'll cause the same lag / inability to control your character for everyone, no advantages or disadvantages for anyone here. But if it's an issue of your machine not able to keep up with the graphics, personal FPS, then you'll be at a disadvantage against someone with a good machine who can smoothly position, point and time his attacks against you who is stuck in a series of slow slideshow graphics.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:02 am

That is how I understood it. Took me a long time to figure that out, though, because with a low-end PC, when the sim starts lagging, your PC usually starts lagging too (because lots of avi's and stuff happens that has to be dealth with/rendered).

What I have noticed since I have gotten a good pretty good PC that when the sim lags, I no longer seem to walk forward only to get dragged back again. Instead, when it lags, I merely 'wade'... move foreward slowly or not at all, mostly.
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:17 am

There is practice involved.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 am

Practice...and very tiny bits of 'skill'. Tiny, tiny bits.

Any gamer who's good at any of the real PvP games (CS, BC and what not) will probably laugh their ass off at SL PvP.

It is ONE button you click, plus aiming/predicting where they'Ll run and using the landscape to your advantage. That's pretty much all you need to be rather decent at it.

Now if I compare a one-button pewpew to my 30 buttons Hunter PvP on WoW? Well, I dare say the learning curve is a LOT shorter.

There is a GIANT difference between having your fingers running over 20+ hotkeys and playing against several characters that ALL have 20 + different kinds of abilities (or lets say, like in HoN: 60 types of character with 4 abilities each + a bunch of craftable items that have abilities and that you have to know) and using those skills in the appropriate moment, use synergies with the race/class your partner/s play while -all- the things from SL PvP apply as well (speed, landscape etc.)...

and smashing one single button while running around.

It's like comparing a WOTLK Season 5 Prot-Heal (yes, those existed) Paladin + DK with a WOTLK Season 5 Rogue /Disci Combo: One required actual timing, a HUGE knowledge of every class and race you encountered, very decent speed and also knowledge of your own class...

while the other one could be played with your eyes closed, hammering randoms buttons on the keyboard.

I played both (Played Rogue/Disci as a rogue and Prot-Heal and Hunter as a Hunter)...and well. Teheeeee...my hunter was reaching 2k + waaaaay too easily.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:13 am

Practice...and very tiny bits of 'skill'. Tiny, tiny bits.

Eh? If skill matters so little, why would practice help more? The point of practice is to build up skill. Nothing else (well, in RL, muscle and such, perhaps, but that doesn't apply to SL). Practice leads to skill, so if it is important, so is skill.

Any gamer who's good at any of the real PvP games (CS, BC and what not) will probably laugh their ass off at SL PvP.

I don't think this is true, actually. A lot of the people that seem to enjoy SL Gor's combat do play such games. And if you have 20 buttons, that doesn't mean that the 'skill' you need is all that much greater. It can mean that, but it doesn't have to. Many PvP games are still pretty straight-forward at heart, with aiming, dodging, timing and such being the basic factors. I agree that SL Gor's combat is fairly limited (could be much better with a few significant changes, I feel), but, overall, the core combat aspect isn't necessarily all that different. And as laggy as SL is, it still relies on actual aiming, pointing, timing. As far as I am aware, games like WoW don't require aiming. In fact, that makes them much easier, for me. More about tactics and less about 'skill'. And combat in SL feels 'harder' to me (not being a great aim-bot, myself).
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 am

Arica. You're chest pounding.

Combat

Vic said it best. Sword you can plateau, but then there are tips and tricks that simply make you better.

Bow is simple in the basic sense, but to actually be good with it takes months of practice.

Raiding. Raiding is a bastard. If you watch raids come through, and you get to see people like Chron 'work' then its like watching an artist. Some people "get it" and do well, and some people are just fodder.

I would say that I am "fodder" again, but I'm trying to get some practice.

Sim FPS effects everyone.

Personal FPS is your machine

ping is the delay you endure before you see things.

A ping over 120 or so means you're often lagging behind most in North America(NA).

If you're fighting euros, it doesnt matter as much, but an NA sim against a Euro sim - all things being equal for skill and FPS - the NA's will have the advantage.

Return to “Meters”