GM meter - There is no skill involved?

Is there skill involved in becoming a good GM meter combattant?

Yes.
42%
Yes.
42%
No.
8%
No.
8%

Total votes: 78
Luciy Walpole
SL Name: Luciy

Re: GM meter - There is no skill involved?

Postby Luciy Walpole » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:04 am

Allison Millet wrote:So skill yes some, but the bigger part is just having someone to teach you all those little hidden tricks and nuances and then practicing, as a skill based game goes, gm is not hard to figure out or get good at, it just takes a decent computer and internet connection, practice, and some veteran teaching you the little tricks and tips.

Pffft...Practice uses up all your good shots!
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:12 am

Draco wrote:I don't believe that's true at all.

CS and other FPS are completely different games from the GM combat.
Sure, it might help having experience in other FPS. But nobody is gonna be "super"-awesome all of a sudden when they need to get used to new mechanics, projectile speeds and all that.

Dodging is a skill that you need to learn in the GM system to become good at bow combat. Most of the "best bows" are at the best because they got very good aim, can dodge incoming arrows very well themselves, AND can predict movement of their opponents (which sort of is responsible for their good aim).

The notion that someone who plays other FPS could just pick up GM combat and have a laugh with it and kick everyone's butts is ... just wrong.

I can agree that the game is simpler than others because there are less buttons that need to be pressed, which in itself makes the learning curve a lot easier.

There is very little difference in the difficulty between CS and GM combat. They're still different games though that require people to get used to the specific mechanics and physics of each to become 'good' at it. There is not much more to it than shooting, moving and aiming to it for both games. The difference being that in CS your bullets hit your target immediately and the first few hits are usually decisive on who wins, while in GM your much slower arrows have a splashzone and there is a bit more forgiveness if you weren't the one to deliver a headshot.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I said no one who played FPS games in their lives will have a hard time getting into the GM meter. Not that they'd excel in it - but that they'd understand its handling rather quickly. Because it's not all that different at its base.

And the assertion that bow fighting and FPS shooters in general don't have a difficulty gap between them, is one I just can't sign.

When I think back about my active CS days - I can tell you it's two entirely different things to anticipate your enemy at a certain place and to SEE him, via camming, via mapping at ALL times. It's one of the reasons why there is not much strategy involved in SL Gor combat - take away the element of seeing people throughout the sim at the double click of their names on your "nearest" list and you'd be surprised how much more complex the game suddenly gets. If you CAN sneak up on someone - if they have to LISTEN to what's going on around you - I remember when 5.1 headsets saw the light of day - they made a HUGE difference in performance cause you could suddenly tell exactly where a person was if he was close enough for you to hear him run.

It's not for nothing that good counter-strike players contest each other over vast amounts of money for gaming industry standards - while we have tournaments in SL with 30 $ tops pots ;)
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Kismet Reyes
SL Name: Scorn Eternal
Caste: Lost it
Role: Slave
Home Stone: About
AkA: Kismet Reyes

Postby Kismet Reyes » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:25 am

I don't think anyone mentioned the external factors yet (unless I missed it speed reading).

Computer and Internet connection make a big difference.

I don't think I can blame my lack of skills on that (my net sucks, my PC is ace*) but to me that's the aspect that gives people an advantage that doesn't require skill.

Prime Bbcode Spoiler Show Prime Bbcode Spoiler:
* but I've been in sl gor for over 4 years you'd think I'd have figured out how to allow for the time delay. Neither do practice, shooting isn't massive fun to me, I'd much rather be bind bitch
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:00 am

Draco wrote:A statement that I see made every now and then:

"You don't need any skills to press your WASD keys and your mouse a bit. It has nothing to do with 'skill'."

Technically true, you don't really need skills to press some keys and move a mouse. But then, what people stating this forgot is that you need skills to press the keys and move the mouse in such a way that will advantage you.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Meriah
SL Name: Raziel Lameth
Home Stone: Treve
Owner: Theodoric Delphis
AkA: Raziah

Postby Meriah » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:39 pm

I think it is a blend of many factors. For instance I was considered "good" by most in my tribe and our enemies. Though I practiced quite often there was only so much I could do alone.

Recently my partner helped me to upgrade my computer and things progressed to an entirely new level. At 10 ten frames per second you have to be careful to hide your feet and move quickly, at 100 frames you can just step out of the way of their arrows almost casually. All of the other tricks still apply, but the combined effect is shocking. :o

There is skill, yes, but it will only go so far.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:51 pm

Probably. But give me a super connection next to Linden Labs and a 200 frames per second PC and put me in a metered fight, and I will still suck donkey balls. :D
Meriah
SL Name: Raziel Lameth
Home Stone: Treve
Owner: Theodoric Delphis
AkA: Raziah

Postby Meriah » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Glaucon wrote:Probably. But give me a super connection next to Linden Labs and a 200 frames per second PC and put me in a metered fight, and I will still suck donkey balls. :D

Are there even donkeys on Gor? Well often enough loses seem involve Kurii anatomy for me. :P Still, skill is a factor it seems.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:53 am

Yep. I'd say skill is still the biggest factor. Location on the planet doesn't make a huge difference (despite some people from Europe claiming it does... when they lose). Connection speed only makes a marked difference up to a point. PC power makes a significant difference, but that can be compensated for by using lighter rendering settings/lighter viewers. What remains is being good at the thing (which I am not, though I once was alright but not great) and knowing and being able to use the tricks (which I don't anymore).

I will insist though... in fights between groups with similar skill (and assuming reasonable connection, PC-power, etc. of the participants) the group with superior tactics as a group will be at a huge advantage. People often forget that, because most groups never really try to go beyond individual skill and individual tactics. But a set of meter combatants that know the terrain and know what they are doing and how they can support each other certainly has a major edge over group that just does the random engagement thingy, even if they bring less FPS-power to the table.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:34 am

Yup ... tactics can make all the difference in the GM meter combat system.

It seems like a very simple combat system, but it actually has a good amount of depth when you start taking into account positioning and movement of people as a team.
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:46 pm

Glaucon wrote:Yep. I'd say skill is still the biggest factor. Location on the planet doesn't make a huge difference (despite some people from Europe claiming it does... when they lose). Connection speed only makes a marked difference up to a point. PC power makes a significant difference, but that can be compensated for by using lighter rendering settings/lighter viewers. What remains is being good at the thing (which I am not, though I once was alright but not great) and knowing and being able to use the tricks (which I don't anymore).

I will insist though... in fights between groups with similar skill (and assuming reasonable connection, PC-power, etc. of the participants) the group with superior tactics as a group will be at a huge advantage. People often forget that, because most groups never really try to go beyond individual skill and individual tactics. But a set of meter combatants that know the terrain and know what they are doing and how they can support each other certainly has a major edge over group that just does the random engagement thingy, even if they bring less FPS-power to the table.

Sims have a sim FPS after which the speed of the machine and connection speed aren't as big a factor until you consider lag. If the sim lags, someone with a super fast PC and connection won't drop as many frames as the person with a slower PC and that's a huge advantage. They will appear as though they are standing still while you are moving around at normal speed.

Return to “Meters”