GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Should meter resets resulting from death be made a server admin only option?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
13%
Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
13%
No, let people govern themselves.
23%
No, let people govern themselves.
23%
I don't care either way.
14%
I don't care either way.
14%

Total votes: 56
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Claude Belgar » Thu May 19, 2011 4:44 am

Black Caste Assassin wrote: So I asked "should people be able to just reset at will or should it be an admin only option" given how easy it is to undermine the rules?

Problem is, as some peoples abuse the reset button, some will abuse the kill button, which is worse.

You kill me, with good RP and all this, and I reset. You may be pissed yet, but still you can continue to RP, decide that I'm dead anyway. Now, you kill me without RP, just for 'fun'… I will have to wait that an admin come online to be able to RP again.

Here's a thought: perhaps if the death meter timeout was not resettable save by an admin then maybe people might think twice about doing things that would result in their deaths. Maybe you might think twice about clicking the kill button on the meter too knowing it was a serious thing. Isn't that the point? Death being serious RP?

Yes, of course peoples would act less… silly. But grieffers would be also bolder. hey, you hate someone ? Wait until a time when there are no admin and kill him/her. His/her RP is now ruined.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Thu May 19, 2011 4:47 am

Black Caste Assassin wrote:Here's a thought: perhaps if the death meter timeout was not resettable save by an admin then maybe people might think twice about doing things that would result in their deaths. Maybe you might think twice about clicking the kill button on the meter too knowing it was a serious thing. Isn't that the point? Death being serious RP?

Again, the people who are serious are OOC punished by that . The people who do not care , just click the kill button and if they are killed themselves ? They just play on an alt. You only force the wrong people to quit their RP with that forced time out. Not the fast pew pew button clickers.
Claude Belgar

Postby Claude Belgar » Thu May 19, 2011 4:48 am

Vylixan wrote:meter death is SL online time ..so when I rp( be online )for 2 hours a day . meter death means 12 days I can't do a shit .

Do you have anything to back up this claim ? It's not that I don't believe you, but it seem so shocking… :o

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Thu May 19, 2011 4:48 am

Vylixan wrote:
Black Caste Assassin wrote:How is a 24 hour meter timeout any worse than a 3 day capture? In some cases it's probably better. I'm not saying someone has to play their character perma dead. Far from it. I'm just saying that I think it's cheating not to mention kinda hypocritical if you only play the aspects of the meter that you like and ignore the ones you don't.

meter death is SL online time ..so when I rp( be online )for 2 hours a day . meter death means 12 days I can't do a shit . while 3 days cap is just 3 days RL time not SL online time.

you can not expect for people to do 12 days totally nothing because some person hit that kill button.

Yes, I want everyone to be a ghost for 12 days just because someone clicked a button. That's what I'm shooting for here. Yep. Why stop there? If someone gets on around 4 minutes a day then they can be a ghost for a whole year!

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

For starters, that is not how the meter works. The meter counts down on a timer which runs whether you are logged in or not. So you could log off and come back the next day ready for your 2 hour window and not miss much if any time roleplaying. Unless you are spending 24 hours a day in game I don't see where a 24 hour timer which runs whether you are online or not is such a horrendously big deal for people.
Last edited by NoneSpecified on Thu May 19, 2011 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu May 19, 2011 4:50 am

It doesn't work that way... the death-timer ticks through while offline.

Either way I don't see the issue.
Nobody can be forced into a death or a RP time-out, unless they themselves really think it's worth it...
Claude Belgar

Postby Claude Belgar » Thu May 19, 2011 4:56 am

Black Caste Assassin wrote:Yes, I want everyone to be a ghost for 12 days just because someone clicked a button. That's what I'm shooting for here. Yep. Why stop there? If someone gets on around 4 minutes a day then they can be a ghost for a whole year!

Vylixan
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Postby Vylixan » Thu May 19, 2011 5:06 am

Anarch12911 wrote:It doesn't work that way... the death-timer ticks through while offline.
Nobody can be forced into a death or a RP time-out, unless they themselves really think it's worth it...

That is new , as the first and only time I was killed It took more then a week to get those 24 hours meter death done. as the meter time would not run when I was offline. that's was one of the reasons I refused to use the meter and remove myself from metered combat.
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Thu May 19, 2011 5:06 am

Anarch12911 wrote:It doesn't work that way... the death-timer ticks through while offline.

So...if raiders came to your camp in the woods, and you killed one of them, if he just reset his meter and said "it isn't worth it to me" you'd be ok with that?
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu May 19, 2011 5:12 am

Black Caste Assassin wrote:

So...if raiders came to your camp in the woods, and you killed one of them, if he just reset his meter and said "it isn't worth it to me" you'd be ok with that?

It has always been in Clearchus Woods simrules like that:

MALE RAIDERS CAPTURED ON OUR SIM MAY BE KILLED. BEING KILLED ON THIS SIM, DUE TO REASONS NOT RELATED TO A STORYLINE (BUT BECAUSE OF BEING CAPTURED AFTER RAIDING US FOR EXAMPLE), GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO TP BACK HOME AND RESET YOUR METER, PRETENDING IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE.

I kinda expect that when people act like dicks and get themselves killed in a storyline as a consequence of their own actions that they can take the timer, or at the very least cease participating in that storyline. I really don't care if they reset their meter or not... but they'll be considered dead or gravely wounded and should know not to participate any further in that storyline...

We sometimes throw captured raiders over the cliffs ... their avatars get pushed or jump down and then it's up to them to decide if they survived the fall or not. I'm not too bothered, I understand that you can never really kill someone unless the storyline was satisfying for them and if there is a very good and close level of understanding.
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu May 19, 2011 5:14 am

Vylixan wrote:

That is new , as the first and only time I was killed It took more then a week to get those 24 hours meter death done. as the meter time would not run when I was offline. that's was one of the reasons I refused to use the meter and remove myself from metered combat.

Having been killed half a dozen times now due to random ... reasons, mostly just because I got captured after a raid and they decided they've better things to do that provide RP to a male captive (which I don't blame them for)... I'm absolutely positive that the death-meter ticks down while offline...

Return to “Meters”