GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Should meter resets resulting from death be made a server admin only option?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
13%
Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
13%
No, let people govern themselves.
23%
No, let people govern themselves.
23%
I don't care either way.
14%
I don't care either way.
14%

Total votes: 56
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Sasi » Wed May 18, 2011 6:20 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:
Sasi wrote:If I was killed by an assassin, if nobody around in the sim, once the assassin left the sim, I reset my meter. I wont do perma death after such kill, I will simply forget the whole story, considering that it has never existed. So, what should I inflict to myself, an OOC punishment?

So I have a hypothetical question for you then. If someone downs you and you don't feel like playing captive do you just reset your meter and pretend like it didn't happen?

No, I play always a capture. If someone down me, I will play it fair, even, I do not have such limits as 3 day capture max, 30 mn without Rp bla bla....
As I said, I give priority to role play, to stories. The death kills the story, kills the rp. Not a capture.
The only case when I would refuse to play a capture? If downed by a female fighter other than panther (I do not recognize them) or if my captor wants to take me in GE sim.

But my point is: When you have another solution than killing, use it. You will provide RP. You can RP with a captive, not with a corpse. Of course, assassins are different, they are paid for killing. But understand also that your victims, if they do not play perma death, once you left their sim, have no reason to inflict to themselves, an OOC punishment... Same for the captured warrior who has been killed. Honestly, who care of that he will do, once back home? Were you forced to kill him? You know that anyway, this death wont never been a part of his background, so....
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 6:28 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:
Black Caste Assassin wrote:Okay. Let's say that you are capped in sim x and then your captor tries to take you to sim y.

Using your logic, there is no transference of rules from sim x to sim y so that means you can just not go to sim y and reset your meter once they leave sim x right?

I guess you could technically do that but isn't that kind of shitty? I don't see that as any different than a meter death and timeout. Both are RP based events. Nobody tells you when/if you have to kill off your character but you, but at the same time does that give you the right to selectively ignore RP and break sim laws?

You would be bound by the laws of sim Y. For example if someone captures you from a sim where female outlaws are allowed and takes you to a place where they are not, you would be wrong to bring female fighters in any rescue.... You should have not gone along with the tp to a sim with such fundamental differences but that is a different story.

The big killer for me though is what to do when there are no mods on for an extended period of time, and you have just been griefed on a sim that does not allow female outlaws, by female outlaws, and they click kill on everyone?

Yup. Agree 100% and I see where that really could be an issue. If someone is griefing and randomly downing and clicking kill on people one hopes that a mod would be around. If not then I guess you'd have to wait, which sucks.
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 pm

Sasi wrote:
Sasi wrote:If I was killed by an assassin, if nobody around in the sim, once the assassin left the sim, I reset my meter. I wont do perma death after such kill, I will simply forget the whole story, considering that it has never existed. So, what should I inflict to myself, an OOC punishment?

So I have a hypothetical question for you then. If someone downs you and you don't feel like playing captive do you just reset your meter and pretend like it didn't happen?

No, I play always a capture. If someone down me, I will play it fair, even, I do not have such limits as 3 day capture max, 30 mn without Rp bla bla....
As I said, I give priority to role play, to stories. The death kills the story, kills the rp. Not a capture.
The only case when I would refuse to play a capture? If downed by a female fighter other than panther (I do not recognize them) or if my captor wants to take me in GE sim.

But my point is: When you have another solution than killing, use it. You will provide RP. You can RP with a captive, not with a corpse. Of course, assassins are different, they are paid for killing. But understand also that your victims, if they do not play perma death, once you left their sim, have no reason to inflict to themselves, an OOC punishment... Same for the captured warrior who has been killed. Honestly, who care of that he will do, once back home? Were you forced to kill him? You know that anyway, this death wont never been a part of his background, so....

How is a 24 hour meter timeout any worse than a 3 day capture? In some cases it's probably better. I'm not saying someone has to play their character perma dead. Far from it. I'm just saying that I think it's cheating not to mention kinda hypocritical if you only play the aspects of the meter that you like and ignore the ones you don't.
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 6:36 pm

The IN Crowd wrote:Point being.. If you spend too much trying to "fix" other peoples way of playing in Gor, what's going to happen is pretty soon you won't find anyone who isn't too broken to play with and you will be all alone..

Okay. I've been around long enough to know the whole GLM saga. So you're saying if people want to play like bitches, let em, or you're going to have nobody left to play with. Gotcha.
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Wed May 18, 2011 6:38 pm

The IN Crowd wrote:Point being.. If you spend too much trying to "fix" other peoples way of playing in Gor, what's going to happen is pretty soon you won't find anyone who isn't too broken to play with and you will be all alone..

Okay. I've been around long enough to know the whole GLM saga. So you're saying if people want to play like bitches, let em, or you're going to have nobody left to play with. Gotcha.

Yeah as a matter of fact.. if people want to play like bitches ignore em, let em, what's it to you.. Go play with those that don't and move on..

Who cares what people way over in disney land do when you are in the heart of Gor?

Whose the bitch.. the bitch or the bitch bitching about the bitches?
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Wed May 18, 2011 7:33 pm

There isn't enough killing in Gor, more people die in the A-Team series.

Death is handled in completely the wrong way.

If it's a roleplay death at the end of a long story, people mourn, the character is finished, create a new one.

If it's a killing in combat, sit things out for an hour and then carry on like nothing happened.

The 24 hour death is a cross between an immature way to deal with griefers or bad roleplayers and a way of griefing people.
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Wed May 18, 2011 7:59 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:How is a 24 hour meter timeout any worse than a 3 day capture? In some cases it's probably better. I'm not saying someone has to play their character perma dead. Far from it. I'm just saying that I think it's cheating not to mention kinda hypocritical if you only play the aspects of the meter that you like and ignore the ones you don't.

Because you can actually RP during those 3 days ? I agree that if you are "honestly" killed, you should stay dead at least for the time set on the meter but for some it's very hard to stay so long without RP.
I guess there is no solution.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 8:53 pm

Claude Belgar wrote:
Black Caste Assassin wrote:How is a 24 hour meter timeout any worse than a 3 day capture? In some cases it's probably better. I'm not saying someone has to play their character perma dead. Far from it. I'm just saying that I think it's cheating not to mention kinda hypocritical if you only play the aspects of the meter that you like and ignore the ones you don't.

Because you can actually RP during those 3 days ? I agree that if you are "honestly" killed, you should stay dead at least for the time set on the meter but for some it's very hard to stay so long without RP.
I guess there is no solution.

Assuming you're not sitting in a cage for 3 days, or have been taken to a sim where they use a hand cranked machine called "The Ruiner" on you.
Echo
SL Name: Echo Horatio
Caste: Merchant?
Role: Trouble maker
Home Stone: Island of Jahesa

Postby Echo » Wed May 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Small technical question. But when you click the kill button. Doesn't the other person have to accept first? I mean if they don't want to do that why not just select 'no' and go on from there?
"In order to roleplay in SL Gor, you first need to accept that people are not sensible." by Chron
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Wed May 18, 2011 8:57 pm

Echo wrote:Small technical question. But when you click the kill button. Doesn't the other person have to accept first? I mean if they don't want to do that why not just select 'no' and go on from there?

No.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.

Return to “Meters”