GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Should meter resets resulting from death be made a server admin only option?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
13%
Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
13%
No, let people govern themselves.
23%
No, let people govern themselves.
23%
I don't care either way.
14%
I don't care either way.
14%

Total votes: 56
NoneSpecified

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 5:40 pm

The IN Crowd wrote:No sim rules can over ride an individuals control of their avatar..

Yeah, no. Sims have rules and the owners/admins can ban you for not following them. I'd call that one Hell of an override. I have gotten people banned for whining and resetting their meters after I've killed them. More than once. The point is that I think this is cheating and most mods would probably agree with me.

If you go to a sim the rules should be posted for you to read. If you enter the sim that normally implies that you agree to abide by those rules. If the sim rules state that a legitimate death is a 24 hour meter timeout and you, after being killed, reset your meter after 10 minutes, you have broken the rules and you're a cheat. So either don't roleplay there or go find a game that doesn't involve death. Don't godmod the other person's RP and say "my feelings override the sim rules". That's just immature and selfish.
Last edited by NoneSpecified on Wed May 18, 2011 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:
The IN Crowd wrote:No sim rules can over ride an individuals control of their avatar..

Wrong. Sims have rules and the owners/admins can ban you for not following them. I'd call that one Hell of an override. I have gotten people banned for whining and resetting their meters after I've killed them. More than once. The point is that I think this is cheating. If you go to a sim the rules should be posted for you to read. If you enter that implies that you agree to abide by those rules. If the sim rules state that a legitimate death is a 24 hour meter timeout and you reset your meter after 10 minutes, you have broken the rules and you're a cheat. So either don't roleplay there or go find a game that doesn't involve death. Don't godmod the other person's RP and say "my feelings override the sim rules". That's just immature and selfish.

But those rules only apply to that sim. If I go to another sim after the death than I am no longer bound by sim x that I have left I am now bound by sim y rules.

I also have a problem with this because of the BtB and Ge divide. My character is completely different in GE sims than it is in BtB sims although I share the same meter between the two.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:

Wrong. Sims have rules and the owners/admins can ban you for not following them. I'd call that one Hell of an override. I have gotten people banned for whining and resetting their meters after I've killed them. More than once. The point is that I think this is cheating. If you go to a sim the rules should be posted for you to read. If you enter that implies that you agree to abide by those rules. If the sim rules state that a legitimate death is a 24 hour meter timeout and you reset your meter after 10 minutes, you have broken the rules and you're a cheat. So either don't roleplay there or go find a game that doesn't involve death. Don't godmod the other person's RP and say "my feelings override the sim rules". That's just immature and selfish.

But those rules only apply to that sim. If I go to another sim after the death than I am no longer bound by sim x that I have left I am now bound by sim y rules.

I also have a problem with this because of the BtB and Ge divide. My character is completely different in GE sims than it is in BtB sims although I share the same meter between the two.

Okay. Let's say that you are capped in sim x and then your captor tries to take you to sim y.

Using your logic, there is no transference of rules from sim x to sim y so that means you can just not go to sim y and reset your meter once they leave sim x right?

I guess you could technically do that but isn't that kind of shitty? I don't see that as any different than a meter death and timeout. Both are RP based events. Nobody tells you when/if you have to kill off your character but you, but at the same time does that give you the right to selectively ignore RP and break sim laws?
Jani
SL Name: Janine Whetmore
Owner: of myself hopefully

Postby Jani » Wed May 18, 2011 5:52 pm

We can't control others, only ourselves. If someone refuses to play the game according to the rules then other then telling everyone that such and such is a cheat or what have you there's not much we can do about it.
Now if the meter could be set to where it stays in death for the full 24 hours what would stop them from removing the meter, discarding it and simply putting a new meter on? If the meter was set to a persons name and all new meters would also indicate death then you'd have the means of upholding the death but I doubt the meters could be made to do that. Besides they'll just go grab another one of their 47 alts and probably come back and grief you or whatever anyways. In other words, they aint worth it.
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Wed May 18, 2011 5:54 pm

Yeah, no. Sims have rules and the owners/admins can ban you for not following them. I'd call that one Hell of an override. I have gotten people banned for whining and resetting their meters after I've killed them. More than once. The point is that I think this is cheating and most mods would probably agree with me.

If you go to a sim the rules should be posted for you to read. If you enter the sim that normally implies that you agree to abide by those rules. If the sim rules state that a legitimate death is a 24 hour meter timeout and you, after being killed, reset your meter after 10 minutes, you have broken the rules and you're a cheat. So either don't roleplay there or go find a game that doesn't involve death. Don't godmod the other person's RP and say "my feelings override the sim rules". That's just immature and selfish.

Yeah No.. Sims have rules that they hope you are willing to be adult enough to follow.. Banning you from the sim is little more then saying "that avatar" cannot be here.. it's really not much of a punishment and at the end of the day doesn't amounts to a hill of beans..

Point being getting people banned isn't making them follow the roleplay you've outlined for them.. They aren't going to stay dead because you've banned them from a sim.. You haven't won..

Do you understand kinda what I am saying..

The Mods can't force a loser to be a loser.. they can just punish a loser for not being a loser..

Only an individual can consent to your roleplay..

That being stated.. it's in your best interest and ultimately going to make you happier to just find people that consent to roleplaying with you..

The rest is just posturing ..
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 5:58 pm

Jani wrote:We can't control others, only ourselves. If someone refuses to play the game according to the rules then other then telling everyone that such and such is a cheat or what have you there's not much we can do about it.
Now if the meter could be set to where it stays in death for the full 24 hours what would stop them from removing the meter, discarding it and simply putting a new meter on? If the meter was set to a persons name and all new meters would also indicate death then you'd have the means of upholding the death but I doubt the meters could be made to do that. Besides they'll just go grab another one of their 47 alts and probably come back and grief you or whatever anyways. In other words, they aint worth it.

Yes and no, Jani. People do get banned for cheating. There is also a group of Gorean Admins and Sim Owners which a list of the so called cheaters gets circulated to. It's not foolproof but its something. Alts you can't do anything about, so that's a wash. But I think it would still be better than just godmodding the other person's RP, tossing the rules out the window, resetting your meter and saying "I'm ignoring it because it's not convenient for me".
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 6:01 pm

The IN Crowd wrote:Yeah No.. Sims have rules that they hope you are willing to be adult enough to follow.. Banning you from the sim is little more then saying "that avatar" cannot be here.. it's really not much of a punishment and at the end of the day doesn't amounts to a hill of beans..

So if you got banned from your home sim where all your RP friends were it wouldn't phase you at all? That action wouldn't have any "teeth" for you?
E. Edward Gray

Postby E. Edward Gray » Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 pm

The IN Crowd wrote:Yeah No.. Sims have rules that they hope you are willing to be adult enough to follow.. Banning you from the sim is little more then saying "that avatar" cannot be here.. it's really not much of a punishment and at the end of the day doesn't amounts to a hill of beans..

So if you got banned from your home sim where all your RP friends were it wouldn't phase you at all? That action wouldn't have any "teeth" for you?

Banning avatar 1 from "home sim" for 3 days or 3 hours or lifetime carries no weight..

Besides the previous point that Jani made of 47 alts..

Besides the fact that I would hope that if a person flat out didn't want to follow sim rules they were banned..

I mean what's the trade off..

Make Gor un fun or don't be in Gor?

You still aren't going to force a person to sit at the keyboard and type something they don't wish to type..

From my perspective I am not here to bother trying to make you do anything you don't want with your avatar..

If you didn't want to roleplay with me I'd leave you alone..

It's up to you how you want to handle it..

But an Eye for an Eye leaves the whole world blind
E. Edward Gray

Postby E. Edward Gray » Wed May 18, 2011 6:15 pm

Before you go too far down this rabbit hole I want you to think of the story of M. Goodman..

M. Goodman was a "Real Gorean" who was on the admin team for one of the popular Gorean meters..

Well one day M. Goodman discovered that his meter was being used by Women who carried bows *gasp.. horror*

So M. Goodman turned off his meter for entire sims.. in effect banning them from playing, because in his mind he felt "they were doin it wrong.."

They got new meters and played their own way..

The only person who suffered was M. Goodman and the rest of his meter teams..

It was very sad to watch..

The End

Point being.. If you spend too much trying to "fix" other peoples way of playing in Gor, what's going to happen is pretty soon you won't find anyone who isn't too broken to play with and you will be all alone..
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:Okay. Let's say that you are capped in sim x and then your captor tries to take you to sim y.

Using your logic, there is no transference of rules from sim x to sim y so that means you can just not go to sim y and reset your meter once they leave sim x right?

I guess you could technically do that but isn't that kind of shitty? I don't see that as any different than a meter death and timeout. Both are RP based events. Nobody tells you when/if you have to kill off your character but you, but at the same time does that give you the right to selectively ignore RP and break sim laws?

You would be bound by the laws of sim Y. For example if someone captures you from a sim where female outlaws are allowed and takes you to a place where they are not, you would be wrong to bring female fighters in any rescue.... You should have not gone along with the tp to a sim with such fundamental differences but that is a different story.

The big killer for me though is what to do when there are no mods on for an extended period of time, and you have just been griefed on a sim that does not allow female outlaws, by female outlaws, and they click kill on everyone?
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him

Return to “Meters”