GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Should meter resets resulting from death be made a server admin only option?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
7
13%
Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
7
13%
No, let people govern themselves.
13
23%
No, let people govern themselves.
13
23%
I don't care either way.
8
14%
I don't care either way.
8
14%
 
Total votes: 56
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 711
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Sasi » Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:How is a 24 hour meter timeout any worse than a 3 day capture? In some cases it's probably better. I'm not saying someone has to play their character perma dead. Far from it. I'm just saying that I think it's cheating not to mention kinda hypocritical if you only play the aspects of the meter that you like and ignore the ones you don't.



As I said, I do not have time limit in capture, but in capture, I role play, you understand? A capture is role play. 24 hours death, I will be forced to stay out of Gor, I couldnt RP, it is boring! It's an OOC punishment! If Capture is boring, non Gorean scenes, I stop the RP, I TP out.

Explain me why do you care because someone you killed, reseted the meter, once back home. You killed this person, it not exists anymore for you.

It is not a question of meter! It is a question about spending 24 hours without RP! Do you think that fair? Me, no, clearly. I log in SL for rping. You kill me? Fine, but do not expect that I will accept also, the OOC punishment. If I dont do perma death, I will consider that you killed another infortunate FW. This killing wont exist in my background, I will consider that this story has never existed. Period. It would be already a pain to have my character killed, I would not enjoy such RP, but in addition, you would want that I stop to have my fun in RP, for 24 hours???

But for you, Im dead, I do not exist anymore, our short story is ended. Why that would matter to you, if I continued to RP, if we are both in different sims? What cheating?
User avatar
Aphris
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:24 am
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii
Contact:

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Aphris » Thu May 19, 2011 1:09 am

I have only seen one guy resetting GM after he was killed, and he was immediate banned.

But I have been killed several times without role play at all, even in safe zones. So I am glad, I can reset GM when I want.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Ice Bradley
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:23 am
SL Name: Bain Menna
Caste: Red Caste
Role: Warrior
Home Stone: Tarnwald
Owner: Real life
AkA: Ice Bradley

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Ice Bradley » Thu May 19, 2011 2:47 am

There would be people like me who get a kick out of "killing " people when sparring. So i dont like the idea of only admins being able to reset.

The whole discussion of death to your character is a totally different. All really boils down to people wanting to roleplay without consequences a growing hassle in sl gor. Everyone wants to have fun and do as they please cause its only roleplay, and if something bad happens to the character because of their behaviour. They will just move to another sim and continue.

Yes this is my rant, maybe im boring to "lifestylerish" or whatever. But if your character is killed its dead tough shit. Using the same avatar again will only be confusing to me atleast. Yes it costs linden, so does new clothing tough luck.
there's those thinking more or less less is more
but if less is more how you're keeping score?
Means for every point you make
your level drops
kinda like its starting from the top
you can't do that...
User avatar
Tashiana
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:42 am
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Caste: Panther
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele
Location: Sweden

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Tashiana » Thu May 19, 2011 3:52 am

To the OP.
I understand that killing is important to you and you feel cheated if the ones you killed lives again.
But serious what do it matter for you if they lives after 10 min or after 24 hrs?.. Dead is dead and you should play your char like the person is dead.

I honestly don’t understand why you so concerned.. Would you go after and kill the person again after 24 hrs?? As he lives again??... The person is dead for you so go on with your own game and don’t bother what they do.

And if the person you killed take the game a bit more serious and play a perma death he or she probably start a new character. Maybe with the same account but a total new role… There no reason that this new role must play dead 24 hrs just cause that the previous character died.

We all play this for fun and we cannot force other peoples to do things they do not want to. If they don’t want to roleplay with you well you can not force them. You can try punish them but why spend all this time on rule others game instead of concentrate of your own.

/Tash
Dont ask ... just do.
User avatar
Claude Belgar
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:31 pm
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Claude Belgar » Thu May 19, 2011 4:00 am

Black Caste Assassin wrote:Assuming you're not sitting in a cage for 3 days, or have been taken to a sim where they use a hand cranked machine called "The Ruiner" on you.


Yep… as I say, I don't think there is a perfect solution.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
NoneSpecified

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby NoneSpecified » Thu May 19, 2011 4:07 am

Tashiana wrote:To the OP.
I understand that killing is important to you and you feel cheated if the ones you killed lives again.
But serious what do it matter for you if they lives after 10 min or after 24 hrs?.. Dead is dead and you should play your char like the person is dead.

I honestly don’t understand why you so concerned.. Would you go after and kill the person again after 24 hrs?? As he lives again??... The person is dead for you so go on with your own game and don’t bother what they do.

And if the person you killed take the game a bit more serious and play a perma death he or she probably start a new character. Maybe with the same account but a total new role… There no reason that this new role must play dead 24 hrs just cause that the previous character died.

We all play this for fun and we cannot force other peoples to do things they do not want to. If they don’t want to roleplay with you well you can not force them. You can try punish them but why spend all this time on rule others game instead of concentrate of your own.

/Tash


You completely misunderstood my post. I don't care what someone does with their character after the meter death timeout. This is not the point. The OP has nothing to do with permadeath. it is simply a question about those who are killed and then reset their meters because they don't want to be a ghost for 24 hours. It's really not much different than if they got capped and then reset because they don't like capture RP. So I asked "should people be able to just reset at will or should it be an admin only option" given how easy it is to undermine the rules?

Thanks for the off topic sanctimonious rant about permadeath though.
User avatar
Claude Belgar
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:31 pm
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Claude Belgar » Thu May 19, 2011 4:23 am

Sasi wrote: If I dont do perma death, I will consider that you killed another infortunate FW. This killing wont exist in my background, I will consider that this story has never existed.


Wouldn't be a better solution to consider that it did happen to you, but that you were only extremely wounded ? This way your story isn't broken, neither is the RP of your killer.

But for you, Im dead, I do not exist anymore, our short story is ended. Why that would matter to you, if I continued to RP, if we are both in different sims? What cheating?


Because, unless you both stay only on your own sim, or/and unless you RP banned each other, you might meet again on a third sim ?

My advise would be to try not to reset, for as long as possible. Maybe do stuff OOC, maybe RP being in a coma, I don't know. And, if really you can't stand it anymore, then resurect; because you're right, if you don't have some fun their is no point of staying dead.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Vylixan
Posts: 903
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:32 pm
SL Name: Massah Dude
Owner: I own.

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Vylixan » Thu May 19, 2011 4:23 am

Black Caste Assassin wrote:How is a 24 hour meter timeout any worse than a 3 day capture? In some cases it's probably better. I'm not saying someone has to play their character perma dead. Far from it. I'm just saying that I think it's cheating not to mention kinda hypocritical if you only play the aspects of the meter that you like and ignore the ones you don't.

meter death is SL online time ..so when I rp( be online )for 2 hours a day . meter death means 12 days I can't do a shit . while 3 days cap is just 3 days RL time not SL online time.

you can not expect for people to do 12 days totally nothing because some person hit that kill button.
User avatar
Tashiana
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:42 am
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Caste: Panther
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele
Location: Sweden

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Tashiana » Thu May 19, 2011 4:25 am

Black Caste Assassin wrote:
You completely misunderstood my post. I don't care what someone does with their character after the meter death timeout. This is not the point. The OP has nothing to do with permadeath. it is simply a question about those who are killed and then reset their meters because they don't want to be a ghost for 24 hours. It's really not much different than if they got capped and then reset because they don't like capture RP. So I asked "should people be able to just reset at will or should it be an admin only option" given how easy it is to undermine the rules?

Thanks for the off topic sanctimonious rant about permadeath though.


There were no rant about permadeath and I try again to see if you understand what I say.

If a person don’t want to play ghost for 24 hours (Why 24 hrs?? why not 1 or 30 or 2 1/2) it dosent matter for your own character. No matter when he/she starts to live again. For you the character is dead he/she cannot cheat that. How could them?? After all its your roleplay.

Its just the same as be capped. If they don’t want to roleplay capped with you the best you can do is to let them escape and forget about them. Or would you want all to use RLV enabled viewers???
Sure I would not mind but I strongly doubt the maturity of the SL-Goreanpopulation in general to say that this would work.

So let people reset their meter if they want to. If its invalid deal with it by a mod. Else if only an admin should be able to reset it… then only an admin should be able to klick the kill button.
Why do things complex when they don’t need to be.. why try force peoples play if they don’t want to play?

/Tash
Dont ask ... just do.
NoneSpecified

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby NoneSpecified » Thu May 19, 2011 4:32 am

Sasi wrote:As I said, I do not have time limit in capture, but in capture, I role play, you understand? A capture is role play. 24 hours death, I will be forced to stay out of Gor, I couldnt RP, it is boring! It's an OOC punishment! If Capture is boring, non Gorean scenes, I stop the RP, I TP out.


Not to nitpick but you said you have no time limit on capture...and then say if it's "boring" you TP out. And then you go on to say that a meter timeout is "boring" and "punishment". This attitude to me is indicative of the problem.

People go to RP on a sim, for free, which the sim owner pays for, and all that is required is they follow the rules. But then they get this bug up their backside about a meter timeout if they are killed, as though it's an OOC punishment which is ridiculous. It's no more an OOC punishment than the ropes which appear when you get bubbled and bound. It's a RP event not a "punishment". And because so many people think like you, that is, if it's boring why should they have to do it, it waters down the effectiveness of the illusion we create in RP.

Here's a thought: perhaps if the death meter timeout was not resettable save by an admin then maybe people might think twice about doing things that would result in their deaths. Maybe you might think twice about clicking the kill button on the meter too knowing it was a serious thing. Isn't that the point? Death being serious RP?

Return to “Meters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron