GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Should meter resets resulting from death be made a server admin only option?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
7
13%
Yes, too many people cheat by self-resurrecting.
7
13%
No, let people govern themselves.
13
23%
No, let people govern themselves.
13
23%
I don't care either way.
8
14%
I don't care either way.
8
14%
 
Total votes: 56
NoneSpecified

GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 3:55 pm

Pursuant to the GM, at one time or another those of us who engage in metered combat have very likely either been killed or have killed another. It is infuriating when someone just resets their meter right away and says "nyah nyah I refuse to go along with it" even though you may have followed the rules. I have seen this happen time and time again. Thus I have come to see the ability on the GM to self-resurrect at will as making it too easy to cheat.

Example: let's say a Warrior kills a raider on his home sim, having followed the rules, and the mods uphold the kill. The sim he is on has a 24 hour death timeout, but the raider doesn't feel like waiting a whole day so he teleports home, resets his meter and goes right on roleplaying like nothing happened. I'm not saying everyone does this, but I personally have seen this happen a lot.

My question is this: given that meter death can be so easily undermined by those who reset their meters, wouldn't it give the idea more teeth if only an admin could do it?

If that was the case, that same raider would try to reset his meter but the GM server would know his status as dead and track it, blocking his attempts to reset, even if he removed his meter and put it back on. The only way to get the death lifted early would be if the server admin(s) from the region he was killed in voluntarily agreed to unwind the death RP and reset him. It would mean a bit more work for the mods but it would make death on the meter come under more scrutiny and that is really a good thing isn't it?

The flipside is if you were unfairly killed and the local server admin had a grudge against you you'd be screwed but that scenario seems like a one off type thing, hardly the norm.

I don't know, to me this idea makes too much sense, but I haven't a clue if Alika and her team can do this or not. And correct me if I'm wrong but I think the LCS Meter is already set up for this isn't it? Thoughts?
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 4:01 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:Pursuant to the GM, at one time or another those of us who engage in metered combat have very likely either been killed or have killed another. It is infuriating when someone just resets their meter right away and says "nyah nyah I refuse to go along with it" even though you may have followed the rules. I have seen this happen time and time again. Thus I have come to see the ability on the GM to self-resurrect at will as making it too easy to cheat.

Example: let's say a Warrior kills a raider on his home sim, having followed the rules, and the mods uphold the kill. The sim he is on has a 24 hour death timeout, but the raider doesn't feel like waiting a whole day so he teleports home, resets his meter and goes right on roleplaying like nothing happened. I'm not saying everyone does this, but I personally have seen this happen a lot.

My question is this: given that meter death is so easily undermined by those who reset their meters, wouldn't it give the idea more teeth if only an admin could do it?

If that was the case, that same raider would try to reset his meter but the GM server would know his status as dead and track it, blocking his attempts to reset, even if he removed his meter and put it back on. The only way to get the death lifted early would be if the server admin(s) from the region he was killed in voluntarily agreed to unwind the death RP and reset him. It would mean a bit more work for the mods but it would make death on the meter come under more scrutiny and that is really a good thing isn't it?

The flipside is if you were unfairly killed and the local server admin had a grudge against you you'd be screwed but that scenario seems like a one off type thing, hardly the norm.

I don't know, to me this idea makes too much sense, but I haven't a clue if Alika and her team can do this or not. And correct me if I'm wrong but I think the LCS Meter is already set up for this isn't it? Thoughts?

A big NO, there are many times that there are no mods on at all. If somebody griefed me and clicked the kill button after he downed me I would hate to have to wait potentially hours for it to be decided. If you are having that big of a disagreement with someone it is really not worth role playing with them ever again. I would just send a NC to the sim admin with the log and if they do not do something about it than you know that is not a place you want to play in again.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
NoneSpecified

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 4:07 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:A big NO, there are many times that there are no mods on at all. If somebody griefed me and clicked the kill button after he downed me I would hate to have to wait potentially hours for it to be decided. If you are having that big of a disagreement with someone it is really not worth role playing with them ever again. I would just send a NC to the sim admin with the log and if they do not do something about it than you know that is not a place you want to play in again.


What if you killed that person and they just went home and reset?
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:A big NO, there are many times that there are no mods on at all. If somebody griefed me and clicked the kill button after he downed me I would hate to have to wait potentially hours for it to be decided. If you are having that big of a disagreement with someone it is really not worth role playing with them ever again. I would just send a NC to the sim admin with the log and if they do not do something about it than you know that is not a place you want to play in again.


What if you killed that person and they just went home and reset?

Who cares if they go home and reset, all you can control is yourself and your sim if you are and admin or mod. Do not let the guy come back to your sim if you have such powers, but other than that just right the guy off as nobody worth while to rp with in the future and move on.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
NoneSpecified

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 4:18 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:
Black Caste Assassin wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:A big NO, there are many times that there are no mods on at all. If somebody griefed me and clicked the kill button after he downed me I would hate to have to wait potentially hours for it to be decided. If you are having that big of a disagreement with someone it is really not worth role playing with them ever again. I would just send a NC to the sim admin with the log and if they do not do something about it than you know that is not a place you want to play in again.


What if you killed that person and they just went home and reset?

Who cares if they go home and reset, all you can control is yourself and your sim if you are and admin or mod. Do not let the guy come back to your sim if you have such powers, but other than that just right the guy off as nobody worth while to rp with in the future and move on.


Don't you think though that people might change their stance a bit towards clicking that kill button or being killed if they knew that no matter where they went they would be a ghost and could not just ignore a RP event because it was an annoyance and a hindrance to them playing cappy-go-rapey?
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:Don't you think though that people might change their stance a bit towards clicking that kill button or being killed if they knew that no matter where they went they would be a ghost and could not just ignore a RP event because it was an annoyance and a hindrance to them playing cappy-go-rapey?

Perhaps but it is not worth it if there is not a mod on 24/7, that would be required before I would agree to give up any control to the meter like you are suggesting, and that simply is not the case. It can literally be a day between seeing a mod on a slow weekday on a slow sim.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
User avatar
Sasi
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:16 am
SL Name: Sasi

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Sasi » Wed May 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Black Caste Assassin wrote:
Example: let's say a Warrior kills a raider on his home sim, having followed the rules, and the mods uphold the kill. The sim he is on has a 24 hour death timeout, but the raider doesn't feel like waiting a whole day so he teleports home, resets his meter and goes right on roleplaying like nothing happened. I'm not saying everyone does this, but I personally have seen this happen a lot.


I do not see nothing wrong. If this warrior doesnt do perma death, he will just consider that another infortunate warrior has been killed. His own death doesnt exist no more in his background. He resets his meter once at home.

If I was killed by an assassin, if nobody around in the sim, once the assassin left the sim, I reset my meter. I wont do perma death after such kill, I will simply forget the whole story, considering that it has never existed. So, what should I inflict to myself, an OOC punishment?

I understand that the RP of assassins turns a lot about death, but for other roles, they are many BTB solutions other than killing, giving priority to RP and stories (and finally, more plausible in the context of SL-Gor, when most people dont do perma death). When instead to kill, you chose another solution, you save to yourself, probably, a lot of OOC issues (moderators will appreciate).
NoneSpecified

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed May 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Sasi wrote:If I was killed by an assassin, if nobody around in the sim, once the assassin left the sim, I reset my meter. I wont do perma death after such kill, I will simply forget the whole story, considering that it has never existed. So, what should I inflict to myself, an OOC punishment?


So I have a hypothetical question for you then. If someone downs you and you don't feel like playing captive do you just reset your meter and pretend like it didn't happen?
Last edited by NoneSpecified on Wed May 18, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
E. Edward Gray
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:23 pm
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby E. Edward Gray » Wed May 18, 2011 5:31 pm

Yep Sasi and Matt Pretty much nailed it..

Who cares what the other guy does..

if they suck to roleplay with then don't role play with the individual..

And if they reset their meter and don't care what you do then I guess they have made the decision they don't want to roleplay with you..

I hate to sound it but you are kind of being childish when you try to go to a mod or argue these points with people((but my roleplay is more important then your OOC desire))

I don't mean you specifically but you as in people who try to force ooc decisions to continue onto other people then run to the mod to try to force the decision..

End of the day if a person doesn't wish to be dead there is nothing you can do to change their mind..

Accept it and move on..

I personally do a perma death if I want it or a 10 minute death ((enough time for the killer to leave)) if I don't..

it's right in my profile and if you ever take a contract on me you should consider not what the sim rules are but rather what my rules are and then decide if you want to explore your roleplay options..

No sim rules can over ride an individuals control of their avatar..
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: GM Meter death and resetting--admin only or individual?

Postby Mat » Wed May 18, 2011 5:37 pm

The IN Crowd wrote:
No sim rules can over ride an individuals control of their avatar..

Yes and no, You are correct that ultimately it is your decision. I would hope though that you would be adult enough about it and not role play in a sim that had rules that were counter to your personal rules, that is just a disaster waiting to happen.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him

Return to “Meters”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron