GM Meter: I wish builders remembered THIS...

FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

GM Meter: I wish builders remembered THIS...

Postby FeorieFrimon » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Hey guys!

So, I'm toying with the idea of building a sim in a few months (I'm really going to take my time), but this go around I want to make sure that it's VERY combat friendly using the GM meter system.

Talk to me about how the meter works in regards of 'build'.

For example, if I'm standing on a giant mesh wall and someone shoots the wall, does it effect my avatar?

Whats the WORST thing about the GM meter in regards to fighting in a sim with an over zealous builder?

Whats something you've seen in other city builds that made combat easy and way more fun?

Any other tips and pointers?

P.S. Fighter types, would you point your 'warrior' friends to this thread as well? The more feedback, the better.
Courgan Barzane
SL Name: Courgan Barzane
Caste: Red Caste
Home Stone: Cardonicus

Re: GM Meter: I wish builders remembered THIS...

Postby Courgan Barzane » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:30 am

Since no one answers, I put down the most important question first:

What do you want? Direct hit or splash, You want bowfights or enforce/favour melee? These two questions decide a lot on how a build can or should look like.

After you decided that you have to think if you want a fortress for the settlers to feel secure in or want some even chance for everyone.

Once that is clear you can think about how to build that.
FeorieFrimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:23 pm

I actually had a huge conversation with a guy last night about splash. I don't think understand why any sim would use it. Direct Hit sounds better, especially if the sim is bow-centric.

If I can get the tarn thing figured out (see the other thread on tarns), then melee would come second to bows....as that would be the best way to down a flying target.

Build wise, the settlers should be pretty secure (they'll be inside a mountain).

The OP was designed to give people a chance to vent about lag causing build stuff tat effect the way combat works in a sim. For example:

1. Use 512 textures, not 1024.
or
2. Kool Doors are the ban of my existence.

That sort of thing.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:19 am

Hey Fe!

I am curious too but sadly i have no answers only more questions :D Like, imagine fighting in the woods: Phantom or no phantom trees?

I'd go with no phantom. Because most people i ever encountered attacking my camp were ALWAYS derendering the entire forest; no wonder I always lost the fights hah! But based on that "statistics" I was the weird one and all the opponents knew how to fight effectively SL style. So is that still how people fight in SL? Derender the build till nothing is left, down the suckers who refuse to do that and WIN, yay! Would no phantom trees change that or just keep any potential fighter off the sim?

It's time to change sim build for winter theme. It would be great to know this since I am currently building new trees :)
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Kismet Reyes
SL Name: Scorn Eternal
Caste: Lost it
Role: Slave
Home Stone: About
AkA: Kismet Reyes

Postby Kismet Reyes » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:03 am

When using mesh and sculpties make sure that the physics reflect the visial. It's SO annoying to fire at someone that is behind an invisible barrier, especially as with most GM bows if you stand right next to a prim/sculpt/mesh item you can shoot through it.

I would suggest that at least some trees and vegetation are set to phantom as this lowers the load on the sim.

From my time in GE, I love a sim with no locked doors, it would also be nice to see a realistic type of defence, the builds in GE often contain random tunnels and mazes that only add to the defence not roleplay.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:48 pm

Feorie, don't be afraid to strap on a bow and start raiding in GE. It doesn't matter if you lag or couldn't shoot to save your life. Most women in GE are like that ;)

There's no requirement to be part of a sim to raid. People ask for help in Raid Groups and you can join in when you want. Only by raiding can you experience the fun and the rage-inducing-bullshit in builds.

My own thoughts on it are... you don't need to plan a build for GM combat. Sims with a real and natural aesthetic will work for Roleplay and they tend to work for raiding too. For instance, a US city layout with linear streets and blocks of housing make efficient use of space, but a representation of which on your sim makes for a dull and flat roleplay and raiding environment. Large open spaces tend to be chaotic for raids, you can have a group v group encounter, but you will want access to multiple avenues of escape.

A medieval style build with winding streets, multiple levels and erratic features overall will enhance the roleplaying and raiding experience. BTB builds tend to be flat, rolling along a single level. Do not underestimate the potential of uneven terrain and multiple street levels through your city. The further your avatar can see, the smaller the sim feels. And when your vision is blocked by upper streets levels, forcing you to walk around and discover new parts of the city, the sim feels much, much larger.

All sims generally use the same settings:
Direct Hits
Enhanced Melee
2:1 ratio is standard for BTB. I personally commend any sim who takes it higher.

And then you have the optional:
Aiding
Self-unbinding
Kooldoors
1:1+1 ratio is amateurish for any location. Some BTB sims use it and still talk up their fighting skills! :rrt:

These features are like training wheels on a bicycle, capable groups tend not to allow them. But most sims take from that list.

It's amusing in ways, but German GE sims tend to have the worst nightmarish builds you could imagine. Underground mazes, multiple fishbowls and the thrill of navigating your way along zig-zagged planks over shark infested waters, whilst being shot at! There is no danger of ruining your build unless you're really, really trying for something ridiculous which makes honest people rage.

And as Kismet said, if you intend to have ramparts and defenders shooting down on raiders at the gates. Then try firing up too, and be sure your mesh wall isn't blocking arrows. Very easy build mistake to make and some GE groups deliberately exploit it.
Tantus

Postby Tantus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:59 pm

Manon Seid wrote:Hey Fe!

I am curious too but sadly i have no answers only more questions :D Like, imagine fighting in the woods: Phantom or no phantom trees?

I'd go with no phantom. Because most people i ever encountered attacking my camp were ALWAYS derendering the entire forest; no wonder I always lost the fights hah! But based on that "statistics" I was the weird one and all the opponents knew how to fight effectively SL style. So is that still how people fight in SL? Derender the build till nothing is left, down the suckers who refuse to do that and WIN, yay! Would no phantom trees change that or just keep any potential fighter off the sim?

It's time to change sim build for winter theme. It would be great to know this since I am currently building new trees :)

@Manon, you don't always need to derender trees, just switch off transparent prims and you're good to go.

I don't see an issue with solid trees so long as only the trunk is blocking movement. The tree branch and leaf textures are fitting onto larger prims, which you'd want to keep phantom. Highlight transparent prims to see the obstacle they would pose as solid prims.

The sim surround is all I would derender when raiding.
FeorieFrimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:50 pm

Manon Seid wrote:Hey Fe!

I am curious too but sadly i have no answers only more questions :D

Ask away. I'd love to find the right balance. I've been doing some rp with a friend who is an epic RPer...and also loves to get his raid on. I'm thinking my 'anti meter' style before might have kicked out a good bit of the types of people I like to RP with (I know, I know...Darius, I can hear you now...)

And new trees? WHAT? I need a link to your marketplace store...stat.

Tantus wrote:Feorie, don't be afraid to strap on a bow and start raiding in GE. It doesn't matter if you lag or couldn't shoot to save your life. Most women in GE are like that ;)

Alright, I'll bite. Where should I go that will let me come in a just jump aboard that ALSO HAS good rp?
Tantus

Postby Tantus » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:54 pm

There is no RP in GE!

I haven't been there in the past year, maybe there are new raid groups now. These were some active ones:

secondlife:///app/group/e9038462-e00b-051f-cffa-a70bd8a67a85/about
secondlife:///app/group/672aa309-dcee-45c7-d82b-ff78e440d5e6/about
secondlife:///app/group/25ac3a0f-b9c0-d9e7-f72c-949cb3bf21d6/about

In MMO terms, these are what you call PUGs (pick up groups). You don't need to be part of an actual GE group to join in, when people need help to raid/rescue, they will post in the chat and you can participate in that raid.

Keep an eye on those chatgroups, raid about 10 different sims and you'll get an idea of how the build affects GM combat.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:32 pm

Most GE sims have mesh builds, actually. I don't even think of a GE sim that would have a lame build like the kind of one you can find in Olni, for example.

I have always been surprised to see far more better builds in GE sims than in the so called BTB ones.

Return to “Meters”