Changes to my Bola and dart thrower

Should the damage on Ordo Kivsungai bola and Dart throwers change

YES! Make the Dart thrower as good, as a 'popular and legal' bow
No votes
NO! Keep the dart thrower toned down so it's more a role play tool. Sim admins got your back
20%
YES! Lower the damage on your bola and it'll be more fair or at least less frustrating
20%
NO! Keep the damage on the bola, it's already hard enough to use
40%
Something else I'll write about.
10%
OTHER! Make the Dart thrower better than a bow somehow. It blows people up after all.
10%

Total votes: 10
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Changes to my Bola and dart thrower

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:05 am

Hey Alika, if you see this, I'd love your input.

Also any sim mods out there, remember you just ask in world and I give you toys to test for free so there's no excuse for not knowing what these do. :P

Okay after having to deal with a NGTCG type over the weekend that resulted in me getting bitched out for not having my dart thrower be as good as the modern art he was shooting back with I've been pondering a few things.

First up comes my favorite tool, but also the one that causes the most arguments. The Ordo Kivsungai's Urt snagger bola has been around over three years and has seen several revisions to make it slow, inaccurate, but a pain in the ass if the shooter knows what they're doing. The major thing I've never enjoyed about it is a lack of proper damage. GLM had a bola damage type, but GM does not and as I have to pander to the masses I simply left it at arrow and moved on. Now, I'm rethinking this and am pondering if it would be more acceptable to use a lower damage value, such as those used for slave throwing rocks. I've not done this yet because it might actually cause more trouble from those ignorant of what gorean weapons are. And yes, that exact scenario has happened before.

My other thoughts are on my dart thrower. It's been out there a while, and everyone knows I didn't make it to become next pwner dood tool, hence my use of the Dart damage type over the 'standard' bow damage. However, this is seemingly causing some people to bitch and whine more than if I just had it blow them into messy chunks like a BTB one would. However, if I go the easy route and make it as good as a 'legal' bow then I'm afraid of it being banned or worse, lots of combat types picking it up since "it's like a gun and it's gorean LOLOL"

So, what to do here is the question. Make it 'better' , 'balanced', or Just stick with what we got.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Re: Changes to my Bola and dart thrower

Postby Allison Millet » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:56 am

From my use, both right now are fine as they are, the bola is incredibly inaccurate and takes alot of practice to use, its not something you can just pick up and start pwning with. Its also incredibly slow so taking it up against someone one on one, even though you can slow them up they can still shoot and will pwn you faster then you can say chocolate chip bunnay waffles. As for the kurri quarl thrower, with the new tranq dart I think its best to leave it as dark damage because a good hotkeyer could cause some serious damage if it was doing full damage, Now if the tranq dart was removed, I'd say then go for it level it up to the same power that bows have so I can use it besides just for rp purposes as well XD. That and I can stop carrying around so many weapons on my back.
Hockey Stick!
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:56 pm

What about keeping the tranq and exploding dart at current levels, but upgrading the regurlar rounds to arrow damage levels? Or would that return us to the days of swiss army bows that can pwn, make you into spider man, and even do damage in a fist fight?
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:41 am

Rhubardin wrote:What about keeping the tranq and exploding dart at current levels, but upgrading the regurlar rounds to arrow damage levels? Or would that return us to the days of swiss army bows that can pwn, make you into spider man, and even do damage in a fist fight?

I think it would really unbalance it then, one of the things I like is that while youc an stun with tranqs and switch up to normal darts, it feels balanced and not uber powerful by doing the same damage as a bow would since you can hotkey if yoru good switching and really putting some hurt on someone far faster with arrow damage then dart.
Hockey Stick!
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:15 pm

Shame no one else has an opinion. But then this is pretty much a very trivial matter most don't need to bother over.

Since no matter what I do some asshat is gonna whine when he gets shot at.
kara markova
SL Name: Kara Markova
Caste: Tu'atha Mor
Role: Taluna
Home Stone: Jungles of Tathassa

Postby kara markova » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:18 am

Rhu

My opinions are not too dissimilar from Allisons. I think prior to the tranq dart the dart thrower was too underpowered and other than as a pure rp weapon, was ineffective as an combat weapon compared to bows. The tranquilliser dart changes that and gives it a real tactical use. Stun the victim, switch to normal darts and repeat. As the target can shoot back after a second or two, a competent bow will still be a risky proposition if fighting them alone.

One compromise path that might suit those demanding bow damage is to up the rate of fire of the normal darts to the GM dart specs. The increased rate of fire from 1.2ps to 1.6ps will compensate somewhat for the lower damage values and importantly make it a more viable weapon in any sim that decides to prohibit the tranquilliser darts.

We also instituted a rule on our sim that unless you are Kurri raiders or their agents, then no more than 2 dart throwers per group to be used simultaneously. This will give some credence to their relative rarity and limit mass use by the large NGTCG.

With regards to the bola, I would vote for reducing the damage to that of slave rocks. The bola is designed primarily as a non lethal weapon for hunting and in Gor combat is used more as a tactical weapon to disrupt raiders making them more vulnerable to other ranged weapons. Reducing the damages makes it more realistic and just a bit more of a compromise to wield promoting it more as a 'team' weapon requiring tactics and co-ordination. I would think that woud help forestall complaints that its too domineering a weapon and promote its more widespread acceptance.
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:04 pm

Well I won't make the dart thrower fire anything faster, especially seeing as the issue is already it does damage over 30 meters like a bow, but uses a damage type meant for blowguns instead of "BOOM you are now dead". Making it faster AND long ranged will see it simply banned as 'to fast' no matter how much better the standard weapon is.

I will change the bola though, I feel that it may improve the weapon's rep now that more people have seen I want to innovate rather than create unbeatable gawd toys. But not until after christmas, I have to do spear, club, knife, sword, and bow updates as well as look at revamping the four wagon tribe lances first.

So feel free latecomers, tell me your thoughts good or bad, new or old. Especially if you make the meters these are used on. :P

Return to “Weapons”