Delving into Kurii weapons

What do you think of this first try at a kurii quarrel launcher

Not bad but I'd make the barrel shorter.
10%
Not bad but I'd make the barrel shorter.
10%
Dear hamtaro but that thing is huge! Can kurii even lift it?
30%
Dear hamtaro but that thing is huge! Can kurii even lift it?
30%
Quarrels pah! Just make this thing into a raygun and rake in the cash!
No votes
Quarrels pah! Just make this thing into a raygun and rake in the cash!
No votes
Something I'll say below
10%
Something I'll say below
10%
It's perfect but for a few prim details and or textures.
No votes
It's perfect but for a few prim details and or textures.
No votes

Total votes: 10
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Delving into Kurii weapons

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:30 pm

So It's been to long since I've been making new toys for serious use amongst role players. So, I figured I'd start working on something I started years ago, weapons designed for the big muscely ape sharks know as the kurii.

Here's what I managed so far. My primary goal was to make something reminiscent of my current Dart throwers, but upsized for the massive kurii AVs Tom Redevil makes, and also having an animation for aiming the durn thing.

If you're wondering, that's me in between the two things and I'm about five foot something in SL terms. But when that thing is held in the hands of my white kur Avatar it's almost to small. In fact one Kurii player complained the weapon was to 'thin'.

So, any thoughts on this potentially explosive area of toy production?

Oh, and before anyone worries this thing is not up for sale yet. I've given out a few experimental units to people in actual kur AVs but I'm not even closing to offering it to the public.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Re: Delving into Kurii weapons

Postby Allison Millet » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:33 am

Kinda looks like a portable Surface to Air Missle Launcher O.O and its really small in kur avi's hands" Wow.
Hockey Stick!
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:51 am

The Kurii I see lately are twice as big as a man, or even more. In the hand of such monsters every thing looks small. Kurii males grew up to 9 feet, and the giants among them till 10 feet. Still much smaller what you see now sometimes in SL Gor, they are more like LOTR Trols then Kurii. I think you must base your Kurii weapon on an average Kur of 9 feet.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Consuelo
SL Name: Consuelo Albanese
Role: Kajira

Postby Consuelo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 am

You have to remember how skewed avatar sizes are in SL, mine is 6'8' and she looks small compared to most male human characters.
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."
Steven Tyler
Willow
SL Name: Willow Jenipe

Postby Willow » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:51 am

I just don’t understand John Norman’s logic about weapons. On one hand he blue-flames anyone who has a gun, and on the other hand allows what amounts to light artillery.

I’m no expert, but dart-throwers this size look as if they would simply be overkill for individual combat, and could be used for knocking down city walls, or for long-range shooting.

They also look as if they would be ideal for use by humans for arming ships. In fact, one potential sale for these could be as naval weapons. And that really makes me wonder if yet again Norman hasn’t quite thought through the implications of what he describes – mounting these on ships, which would allow humans to use them, would utterly change Gorean naval warfare. The most powerful Gorean ship would no longer be a tarnship, designed to ram, but more heavily built ships carrying batteries of dart-throwers firing explosive darts.

In Raiders, the tarnship described has turrets, holding catapults, which would be ideal for mounting these dart-throwers, especially as they are breech loaded. The use of turrets is already half-way to a “monitor” type design, in which turret-mounted weaponry is the main armament, and presumably these would become the future Gorean naval vessels. Ramships would be of little use against them, in the same way that naval gunnery made Earth galleys obsolete.

The dart-throwers could also be used on sailing ships, either mounted on the deck on firing through ports in the hull, and would be an effective defence for merchant ships, which anyway have an advantage over galleys due to their greater height and comparatively less vulnerability to ram damage.

It might be interesting to try this out in SL, one day…
Darve Parx
SL Name: Darve Parx

Postby Darve Parx » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:52 am

Here is my only concern: When kurii pull it out in battle, at first glance it will appear to be a weapon that is not gorean and everyone will scream. You will need to get word out on this to weapons testers and sim owners or people will ban it just to avoid the headaches.
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:43 pm

Kewl some responses. Please excuse any bouncing around I do in my replies. Also I've had several discussions on the use of dart throwers here in these forums before if you want to glance at those.

Firstly for those wondering why these don't end up becoming the gorean equivalent of an arquebus or even a colt revolver it's simple. They are manufactured by kurii from the steel worlds for specific operations, usually in remote areas. The ammo, as far as I can figure, is a self contained quarrel that uses some manner of compressed gas. Basically a crossbow bolt with an explosive head that operates more like a CO2 paintball gun than a conventional rifle. So ammunition is entirely dependent on the steel worlds, and their isolated outposts. Considering all the factors these weapons would not be easily reproduced by 'normal' goreans.

A gorean builder or scribe might be able to manufacture some of the fittings and the overall shape of the weapon, but the ammunition is likely beyond their ability to reproduce. Especially once cultural affectations are thrown into the mix. Plus kurii & other agents that found out about such projects would in all likelihood have the individual killed.

To my knowledge the kurii in the books never used them, instead relieing on close combat, or the occasional smuggled energy weapon. However, since a plasma cannon obviously would raise to many eyebrows no matter the user, many other producers began producing their own take on gas propelled quarrel weapons. Since they're canonish, and have fewer animation issues compared to bows they seem to have become the standard kurii ranged weapon. Basically, it's all they have to shoot back with.

In other words, unless you want rayguns, these are a nice middle of the road option for meter pew pew.

Now for possibly the biggest issue that Darve brought up. From my own experience using my dart thrower, over the last four years there will be a percentage of ignorant sorts who scream "OMG riflez111". However, the majority of these are more often than not looking for an excuse to claim invalid, or to try and come off as 'legitimate' role players despite their heavy metal costumes. In other words, they'll whine anyways.

I cover this subject a bit more thoroughly in the notecard I include with my dart launcher so people know this is a toy you only use in rare circumstances, and it really shouldr never be found openly in places like cities. Since you're unlikely to see a kurii in such a place, then the potential issue is lessened.

Now, I do have some ideas for a kurii sized bow now that I'm getting more familiar with the way the prim avatar works. Seeing as I've been selling a bow that'd fit a kurii for years it's a supposedly simple idea. But, as others discovered before me, fitting a weapon to the prim avatar is often a pain. Some of the kurii weapons I looked at don't even have animations for them simply because of the difficulties in compensating for the nature of the avatar.

So again, these dart weapons are the easiest solution, and seem to appeal to those who want to remind folks of gor's sci-fi stylings. Since running into a kurii is already an unusual event, the weapon they use seems a minor issue in comparison.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Okay I wanted to do this before but my graphics card on my good rig died on me last night. So forgive any graphics issues in this picture please.

Here's me in the white kurii avatar standing next to the weapon. You'll notice it's a wee bit more manageable looking now. I wanted to show it in the aiming position as well, but I'm still messing with animation, and the positions of the weapon's parts.

In the end I may cut it down to a more pistol like size, or move the handle and firing spoon about halfway up the weapon's length.
Consuelo
SL Name: Consuelo Albanese
Role: Kajira

Postby Consuelo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:46 pm

Nice... and it comes with a fur blanket to keep my earth bones warm in the cruel northern winter.
"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things."
Steven Tyler
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 pm

In soviet Gor furry kurii sleeps on you.

And now there's a few six claw folks running around with these things so I'm hoping for some feedback regarding size, animations, prettieness etc. But the more I tinker with it the more I think I should try to add 60s sci-fi tropes like fins and weird knobs to it.

Considering both alien species in the books use atomic era flieing saucers It might make them fit better.

Oh and sim admins, remember you can ask for one if you need a test model. Just keep in mind it's not done.

Return to “Weapons”