Two-handed weapons and block

Can two-handed weapons block melee attacks without any additional visible shield?

Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%

Total votes: 36
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Re: Two-handed weapons and block

Postby Rhubardin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:48 pm

Actually the bronze hoplite style of shield is only one of several varieties utilized by the many and varied cultures within the setting. There are smaller buckler style shields for more personal level combat, but these would be mostly useless against arrows..but still more likely to block one than a thick glove you have strapped to your bow arm.

There's also the wood and hide shields I think I've mentioned before, both of which can stop arrows from their respective cultures. These also might be within the reach of panther girls and talunas as the materials are available. There's also the fact much hunting is still done with spears and or close ranged missiles such as throwing sticks, not just bows. So there would be some call for protection of this kind.

IIRC correctly the proper gorean way to hunt Larl is to get a bunch of men in a line and give each a spear and shield. They then play see who gets run over until one of them stops a larl, or it stomps on everyone but the very unlucky last guy.

yet in all of that , and in real world weaponry, I don't see many utilizing thick gloves in the same manner. Especially not if they're also using a bow or two handed weapon. The closest would be gorean gladiatorial weapons, or certain earth fencing styles and neither of those are meant for defense outside melee combat.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:38 pm

JohnP wrote:You don't have 9000000 blocks, you have maybe 20, then your defense runs out and you start taking health damage.

And the shields that warriors use are supposedly these huge heavy things that a panther wouldn't be able to lift, much less wave around blocking shots. Again, even though SL combat is not very realistic, at least try to make it look like it acts in some ways. Using a shield that looks like a shield is better than expecting to stop a sword with a wristband. Aesthetics does count in some circles, even if it's not entirely accurate to the genre, at least try to be close.

Do me a favor.. sometime when you are bored.. go with your little brother to the local flea market and buy a sword..

Have him hit you with it just 20 times.. tell us all if you take health damage.. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU8k_v8BIzg
This scene would be a lot different if the only thing that happened is some numbers flashed over his head..

The point is.. 20 times being hit with a weapon, 20 times blocking, 10 times health damage.. healing while running..
45 minute battles..
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
Festus
SL Name: Festus

Postby Festus » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:48 pm

Duh, aren't we talking Sl combat here? Sorry if I'm slow on the uptake.
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:58 pm

JohnP wrote:Duh, aren't we talking Sl combat here? Sorry if I'm slow on the uptake.

So why would argue for making it worse?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

John: "SL combat is so bad"
Joe: "How bad is it"
John: "I don't know but lets add random blocking and other features to make it worse"
Joe: "dick"
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
Blue Conover

Postby Blue Conover » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:36 am

Victor. wrote:Ahm...that's ludicrous at best.

How does using the mechanics of a shield in an offhand weapon to spice stuff up, equal cheating?

The person using it doesn't get any better by doing it, he gets ZERO advantages over the next person...seriously...can't believe that's even up for discussion.

Changing the visual equals a monster-killer-simwide device that insta-gibs people by sheer thought? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalright.

Actually it comes right back to tactics. You have defensive play on in a sim, and you see someone wearing a shield you fight ENTIRELY differently to someone who fights with dodge alone because of the effect it has on combat.

two melee fighters, on using dodge, one using shield Shield person has a large advantage. if they are both equally skilled 99 times out of 100 Shield user will win.

changing the visuals to suit yourself gives you an advantage because the person isnt expecting swords to shield because only a shield should be shielding.
Aseptimus
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Postby Aseptimus » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:38 am

Blue Conover wrote:
Victor. wrote:Ahm...that's ludicrous at best.

How does using the mechanics of a shield in an offhand weapon to spice stuff up, equal cheating?

The person using it doesn't get any better by doing it, he gets ZERO advantages over the next person...seriously...can't believe that's even up for discussion.

Changing the visual equals a monster-killer-simwide device that insta-gibs people by sheer thought? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalright.

Actually it comes right back to tactics. You have defensive play on in a sim, and you see someone wearing a shield you fight ENTIRELY differently to someone who fights with dodge alone because of the effect it has on combat.

two melee fighters, on using dodge, one using shield Shield person has a large advantage. if they are both equally skilled 99 times out of 100 Shield user will win.

changing the visuals to suit yourself gives you an advantage because the person isnt expecting swords to shield because only a shield should be shielding.

A historic day when I agree with you completely.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:10 am

Ok so we're arguing that it's not fair for shield users to not win 99 out of 100 times by the sheer fact that they have a shield and like it, opposed to those that want some flashy shit and go dual-wield? :eh:

Shouldn't it be AS EVEN AS possible if a fight starts? Having the exact same basic chances sounds fair to me...now if those two weapons would swing faster than the guy's who uses one with a shield, I'd perfectly agree, there has to be some disadvantage to gain for an advantage but if they're basically totally even - I couldn't care less about the optics.

Maybe I am just thick-headed, but it kinda sounds like people whining that they assumed free-kill, turned out to be none because the other actually fought fire with fire :problem:
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:08 pm

If I build a really wild set of savage hair, held together by bone, braids, and healthy applications of follicle stiffening oils and juices, shall I also put a shield script into it?

By the logic of the scimitar being used like a Jedi's Lightsabre, and the wrist band of ogre's Armor +2 standing in for a body covering shield, then really overhardened hair should be able to stop a catapult stone.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.

Return to “Weapons”