Two-handed weapons and block

Can two-handed weapons block melee attacks without any additional visible shield?

Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%

Total votes: 36
Shjade
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Re: Two-handed weapons and block

Postby Shjade » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:45 am

Oh, it seems I misinterpreted this thread as being about realistic expectations for the usage of physical weaponry as opposed to how they should work for game balance.

If the point of a two-handed weapon is to do more damage at greater range than a one-handed weapon then yes, for balance purposes it should obviously have deficient, if any, defensive capabilities by comparison. Though I might argue in that same vein that the two-handed weapons, provided they're a variety with appropriate weight for it (hammers, large axes, claymores, etc.), should also do extra damage through shields from impact and damage to the shield in use. Sorta evens things out on the defensive end?

On a side note, those chainsaw swords look fucking ridiculous.
Conversation is more useful than conversion.
Korben Larkham

Postby Korben Larkham » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:13 am

Agecanonix wrote:
Aseptimus wrote:Admin Edit

I'll give you one instance of advice. Your very first post on these forums was an attack and defamation of one of it's most respected members and one of - equally respected - best friends.

Keep your drama off our forums or your stay will be short.

You can take your advice and stick it where ever you want for what i care. :wave:
It is funny to see some people are untouchables in these forums and about Primus there is a wide spread note provided by Krevann about his "special" features.

As I recall, the note in question was about a different AV and a different brand of bows. Yes, I have heard the tales about links between the two and find them very plausible.

If they are true, I have to say that the man paid a high penalty for his mistake. And had to do a lot of hard and expensive work to make his way back, in the face of people like me that were set to ban his business for all time in the sims we were involved in. In that time, there's not been a hint of the sort of impropriety that led to his troubles.

So-- I'd say he's earned his second chance and is making the most of it, assuming the rumors are true.
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:20 am

Agecanonix wrote:Why not wear a shield, you know, this item, made of wood and leather ?

Because chaotic good drow rangers use two scimitars of course, duh. And if some pansy D&D elf from another setting can do it, then so can someone who's more or less said bollocks to that in regards to the gorean themes and universe. ;)

In other words, they don't do it because they wanna look kew and have 'advantages' without being bothered by things like common sense, fair play, or being part of an RPG.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:03 pm

I suppose we're talking about dual-wielded weapons, instead of two-handed ones - on that note, what difference does it make if the guy across of you wears 2 one handed weapons or goes sword & board with a shield?

I don't think it's anyhow unfair to use the same mechanic, looking differently. Would be unfair if you don't see anything on the other person's hand and he still has some scripts hidden in an alpha texture or whatever, you name it. (Although, that's just equally debatable - since you'd not really have a disadvantage from it, you'd just NOT have your assumed advantage of being able to block, while you think the other party can't.)

So why not use it? Doesn't matter if you do it because it looks "kewl" or because you don't like shields or whatever - if you like your character to be dual-wielding his weapons go for it. As long as you don't script the offhand to do basically double damage in combination with the mainhand or some shit like that.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:07 pm

Cheating is cheating and there's no excuse for doing it.

BY that logic of "well someone will cheat or use gear they shouldn't so who gives a flub" I can make a sim wide killer device that will seek out and eliminate everyone with a meter using a 'chemical' agent.

Give it a little backstory of how I did so and so kurii a favor and we're testing new mass tranquilizing gases for easy slave gathering and I've justified it better than a leather wrist band blocking arrows.

Far more extreme than a shield? Well, yeah, but if there are no limits then it's something I am completely capable of doing. And, I could sell it too.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:58 pm

Ahm...that's ludicrous at best.

How does using the mechanics of a shield in an offhand weapon to spice stuff up, equal cheating?

The person using it doesn't get any better by doing it, he gets ZERO advantages over the next person...seriously...can't believe that's even up for discussion.

Changing the visual equals a monster-killer-simwide device that insta-gibs people by sheer thought? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaalright.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Korben Larkham

Postby Korben Larkham » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:45 pm

But there is a benefit, Victor. The shield script put into that dinky little bracer includes an arrow blocking script.

There's a world of difference between sheltering behind a hoplite shield and waving your bracers around like you're Wonder Woman trying to block speeding bullets.

There is a dodge function already built into the meters for those that want to avoid melee attacks.

People that want to avoid arrows should be packing a full fledged shield to do it with.
Victor.

Postby Victor. » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Is it realistic? Ya no, certainly not. But then, we don't want to get into an argument about whether SL combat is realistic to begin with.

If they provide scripts that shields don't -> clearly unfair. But it's the exact same script and someone decides to put it into a viola they wave around during combat, instead of a shield *shrugs* couldn't care less?

I am staying far away from metered combat for quite a while already - but as I see it, it offers i.e. panther players a possibility to at least shield themselves equally against other raiders. Giving them a bracer instead of a shield. And IF I'd still be in that sort of environment, I'd rather beat panthers who have the same tools as I do, than enjoying my victory with a grain of salt, knowing purely technical, I had to win anyway (enhanced male hits, shields etc.)

Just my .02

I compare it with a guy who wants to play a :farmer: - but he'd like to still attend raids, etc, living in a GE sim that doesn't keep him from. I am pretty sure if I'd be that guy, I'd love the idea of putting a regular's helbards or zweihander script into my fork - it doesn't make my fork better than the guy's two-hand weapon, but equal and I'd still be in a position to help my side, without being gimped because I don't want to be outlaw #23 or Rarius #49.
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Kao wrote:The picture is clearly invalid and not BtB.

The picture works well..

But what it leaves out is that if the sword or spear hits you directly it almost always kills you..

If we have 9000000 blocks we should have 1 hit kills..

Just my opinion..
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
Festus
SL Name: Festus

Postby Festus » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:36 pm

You don't have 9000000 blocks, you have maybe 20, then your defense runs out and you start taking health damage.

And the shields that warriors use are supposedly these huge heavy things that a panther wouldn't be able to lift, much less wave around blocking shots. Again, even though SL combat is not very realistic, at least try to make it look like it acts in some ways. Using a shield that looks like a shield is better than expecting to stop a sword with a wristband. Aesthetics does count in some circles, even if it's not entirely accurate to the genre, at least try to be close.

Return to “Weapons”