Two-handed weapons and block

Can two-handed weapons block melee attacks without any additional visible shield?

Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%

Total votes: 36
Agecanonix
SL Name: Assurancetourix Conovair

Re: Two-handed weapons and block

Postby Agecanonix » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Aseptimus wrote:Admin Edit

I'll give you one instance of advice. Your very first post on these forums was an attack and defamation of one of it's most respected members and one of - equally respected - best friends.

Keep your drama off our forums or your stay will be short.

You can take your advice and stick it where ever you want for what i care. :wave:
It is funny to see some people are untouchables in these forums and about Primus there is a wide spread note provided by Krevann about his "special" features.
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 pm

RavingRob wrote:
Rhubardin wrote:Should be noted that the yo-yo was originally a hunting weapon used by some phillipine tribes and or polynesians. I forget which. Would make a viable taluna weapon me thinks.

As for things that aren't shields being shields I have to cry shenanigans. While certainly a spear can be used to parry and redirect other weapons, as can a sword or knife in the offhand. None of them are much good at consistently blocking arrows, which is the point of the shield script IIRC.

Actually, the offhand sword will only block melee. not range

Well, so long as I can do it too...when I'm not being lazy...it's something to keep an open mind about. On the other hand, this opens up the door to everyone and their chrome clad grandmother panther ubara niece to run about living out their Drizzt fantasies, while leaving those of us with more sane aspirations to be whomped more easily by a group that often is soley about the win.

Must ponder.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Kao
SL Name: Kaoru Slade
Role: hypnosleen

Postby Kao » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:23 am

RavingRob wrote:Actually, the offhand sword will only block melee. not range

Not that it matters much in this context, but my reputation of a pedantic bore in square glasses (I wear them only when meeting with clients, mind you!) demands me to object. The shield script included in GM Shield SDK 2.0 (the current version) has no options to make it block only melee attacks and ignore arrows.

Since some totally unfamiliar person is using my thread for personal attacks, I have to emphasize that I have nothing against Thord or his weapons. It is just that their current feature set does not match my personal idea of drama-free play, that's all.
Did Descartes
Depart
With the thought
"Therefore I'm not"?
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Great, now i have to go get this shield script and test it for myself to see who's right on this. :(

Also, why the heck do people think a leather bracer is going to stop an arrow? I mean, Kevin Sorbo did it a lot in that Hercules show, but he was kind of a semi immortal demi-gawd. Even a chainmail one wouldn't do much owing to the lack of area it can cover, and all kinds of other reasons that rely on realism and logic.

I'd be more inclined to build a big panther girl purse that was held in the left hand like a shield or holy relic that would stop arrows and attacks long before I tried to pull off "gauntlets of Defense +2 of Gor".

Actually...that's not a half bad idea, especially if there's a melee block and a arrow block.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:47 pm

Rhubardin wrote:I'd be more inclined to build a big panther girl purse that was held in the left hand like a shield or holy relic that would stop arrows and attacks long before I tried to pull off "gauntlets of Defense +2 of Gor".

Actually...that's not a half bad idea, especially if there's a melee block and a arrow block.

LOL. Not only that but you can put a lot of junk in it.

For metrosexual Warriors of Gor you could also make a Murse (or a Man Bag).

Don't laugh, Rhu...you know someone's gonna make one.
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:25 pm

Well were someone to make a fencing cloak that was held in the left hand, I would be very impressed so long as it was done well.

On the other hand, that level of fencing really does not exist within the context of the setting. Also one must remember that with the exception of helmets, and shields all other manner of armor is forbidden by people/aliens with rayguns.

If I wanted to I could have incorporated shield scripting into my hatchet gauntlets, which many have described as a giant pair of bladed oven mitts. But, since they're not designed to catch arrows I left the left hand one as a pure prop. All it does is appear and dissapear if its attached.

Which brings up another interesting point. Where are people attaching these 'shielding' items. If it's not somewhere that precludes the use of a bow, then I'm going to flat out say it's a cheat. Especially in regards to these 'armored bracers' made of chainmail.

Not even going to go into how expensive nor rare chainmail would be....
RavingRob
SL Name: RavingRob Radek
Caste: Of Questionable Repute
Role: Keep Wondering
Home Stone: A City of Dust

Postby RavingRob » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:08 pm

Rhubardin wrote:Great, now i have to go get this shield script and test it for myself to see who's right on this. :(

Also, why the heck do people think a leather bracer is going to stop an arrow? I mean, Kevin Sorbo did it a lot in that Hercules show, but he was kind of a semi immortal demi-gawd. Even a chainmail one wouldn't do much owing to the lack of area it can cover, and all kinds of other reasons that rely on realism and logic.

I'd be more inclined to build a big panther girl purse that was held in the left hand like a shield or holy relic that would stop arrows and attacks long before I tried to pull off "gauntlets of Defense +2 of Gor".

I stand corrected. I reread this from the NC I pasted near the front of the thread:
". A shield can shield from ranged attack also though only at 30% success rate and it never can shield a direct hit."

And i know form personal experience, it won't block a rock, or burnt cookie, will block a broom :mrgreen:
Sacha
SL Name: Resident Resident

Postby Sacha » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Rhubardin wrote:Well were someone to make a fencing cloak that was held in the left hand, I would be very impressed so long as it was done well.

On the other hand, that level of fencing really does not exist within the context of the setting. Also one must remember that with the exception of helmets, and shields all other manner of armor is forbidden by people/aliens with rayguns.

If I wanted to I could have incorporated shield scripting into my hatchet gauntlets, which many have described as a giant pair of bladed oven mitts. But, since they're not designed to catch arrows I left the left hand one as a pure prop. All it does is appear and dissapear if its attached.

Which brings up another interesting point. Where are people attaching these 'shielding' items. If it's not somewhere that precludes the use of a bow, then I'm going to flat out say it's a cheat. Especially in regards to these 'armored bracers' made of chainmail.

Not even going to go into how expensive nor rare chainmail would be....

If you make it, I'll buy it... totally BTB minus the Caped Crusader.. Chain... and Sharks...

I'll be the goddamn Batman
This should be interesting.
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:48 pm

I draw the line at chucks of any variety in my weapon design.

On the other hand, a flail or 'meteor hammer' style ball and chain weapon is certainly in the realm of feasibility. Goreans had to thresh grain somehow and I don't see them ignoring the benfits of a big metal ball whipping into some poor sod's face.

But to stay on topic, none of that is any good at stopping arrows. Not even if you spin them really really fast in an attempt to make backwards tornadoes. Probably shatter the arm of someone blocking with these gauntlets though.

Which brings us back around to a need for two different styles of blocking for melee and ranged, so things don't get to abusive. Or, be rid of any blocking except the base one as it seems responsible use isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Agecanonix
SL Name: Assurancetourix Conovair

Postby Agecanonix » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:09 am

Why not wear a shield, you know, this item, made of wood and leather ?

Return to “Weapons”