Two-handed weapons and block

Can two-handed weapons block melee attacks without any additional visible shield?

Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%

Total votes: 36
NoneSpecified

Re: Two-handed weapons and block

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:03 pm

RavingRob wrote:It's a new feature that Primus is adding, I have 2 models of sword that do it. The offhand sword is scripted to block melee as a shield does(for me, page down button, or the single letter-that I can never remember)

c/p from the note card:
Something new to our Dual weapons is our new Offhand Weapon Shield. Instead of just a secondary weapon for looks we've made it into a shield by using the GM Shield scripts. They are completely legal in every sim that uses the Gorean Meter. The shield (offhand weapon) when drawn will block any attacks that come your way. Shields dodge melee strikes always, if and only if you have defense left on your meter. Shielding a strike takes defense from you. Once your defense is gone you will no longer block or dodge. A shield can shield from ranged attack also though only at 30% success rate and it never can shield a direct hit.

This:

Kao
SL Name: Kaoru Slade
Role: hypnosleen

Postby Kao » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:43 pm

RavingRob wrote:It's a new feature that Primus is adding, I have 2 models of sword that do it. The offhand sword is scripted to block melee as a shield does(for me, page down button, or the single letter-that I can never remember)

Thank you very much for the information. Honestly, I stopped using Primus long ago because I fight fairly well and the first thing people start whining about when they lose is its funny features. However, most sims consider them legal still.

The poll results seem to be supporting Jason's side. I think I'll agree with him too. Regardless of how poor the current balance is (knowing dozens of combat systems, I can't recall any with shortsword damage higher than that of spear or axe), rules are rules.
Did Descartes
Depart
With the thought
"Therefore I'm not"?
Agecanonix
SL Name: Assurancetourix Conovair

Postby Agecanonix » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:38 pm

Admin Edit: Starting rumors without some sort of proof in a way that seems to be a troll, or personal attack will get you banned very quickly.
Last edited by Ceri the Urt on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed insult
RavingRob
SL Name: RavingRob Radek
Caste: Of Questionable Repute
Role: Keep Wondering
Home Stone: A City of Dust

Postby RavingRob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Kao wrote:

Thank you very much for the information. Honestly, I stopped using Primus long ago because I fight fairly well and the first thing people start whining about when they lose is its funny features. However, most sims consider them legal still.

The poll results seem to be supporting Jason's side. I think I'll agree with him too. Regardless of how poor the current balance is (knowing dozens of combat systems, I can't recall any with shortsword damage higher than that of spear or axe), rules are rules.

It's the same function as a standard shield & no weapon functions.. I don't see why there would be a problem? I must be looking at this too logically
Kao
SL Name: Kaoru Slade
Role: hypnosleen

Postby Kao » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:44 am

RavingRob wrote:It's the same function as a standard shield & no weapon functions.. I don't see why there would be a problem? I must be looking at this too logically

Did not mean exactly that feature, it was introduced after I had switched back to Navar already. I am talking more about the general Thord's practice of testing the limits constantly. Autofire swords, female swords, friendly fire.. Of course, one can argue that such things should be left to sim owners discretion, but people are sick and tired of cheating and I can't blame them for it. It is far easier not to use suspicious weapons at all than to explain every time that I am using them in fair way.
Did Descartes
Depart
With the thought
"Therefore I'm not"?
Agecanonix
SL Name: Assurancetourix Conovair

Postby Agecanonix » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:20 am

Admin Edit: Personal information.
Aseptimus
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Postby Aseptimus » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:27 am

Admin Edit

I'll give you one instance of advice. Your very first post on these forums was an attack and defamation of one of it's most respected members and one of - equally respected - best friends.

Keep your drama off our forums or your stay will be short.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:52 am

If swords that look like that are allowed in SL Gor now then I want the sword yo-yo from Saviour of the Soul.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJvc0LWi44
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:24 pm

Should be noted that the yo-yo was originally a hunting weapon used by some phillipine tribes and or polynesians. I forget which. Would make a viable taluna weapon me thinks.

As for things that aren't shields being shields I have to cry shenanigans. While certainly a spear can be used to parry and redirect other weapons, as can a sword or knife in the offhand. None of them are much good at consistently blocking arrows, which is the point of the shield script IIRC.

I mean, if a scimitar in your left hand is capable of stopping something most people need a large bronze shield for, why not a club (thicker and arguably more durable), or even another bow when it's not in use?

Better yet, build a sword function into a bow so now it can shoot at range, hack at enemies when you switch off the bow and turn on melee, or be turned off entirely and used as a shield. If you order now it can also cause grappling hooks to shoot out of thin air and telepathically communicate the exact names of those you injure.

Of course this assumes the idea behind the shield script is to stop arrows and let real gorean men have a chance at doing real gorean men fighting. If it's not...well, I've got so many evil fun ideas right now.

Oh, and one thing do NOT take anything I say as a direct knock against any producer of weapons. I'm as guilty of experimenting as anyone else out there, I'm just 'lucky' enough to not be as popular or as good at it.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
RavingRob
SL Name: RavingRob Radek
Caste: Of Questionable Repute
Role: Keep Wondering
Home Stone: A City of Dust

Postby RavingRob » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:49 pm

Rhubardin wrote:Should be noted that the yo-yo was originally a hunting weapon used by some phillipine tribes and or polynesians. I forget which. Would make a viable taluna weapon me thinks.

As for things that aren't shields being shields I have to cry shenanigans. While certainly a spear can be used to parry and redirect other weapons, as can a sword or knife in the offhand. None of them are much good at consistently blocking arrows, which is the point of the shield script IIRC.

Actually, the offhand sword will only block melee. not range

Return to “Weapons”