Two-handed weapons and block

Can two-handed weapons block melee attacks without any additional visible shield?

Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, this is how it works in real world.
17%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
Yes, because people already use 'bracers' even with single-handed weapons. The current melee system is such a mess that one more dubious trick won't change anything.
8%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%
No, it would be a cheat.
25%

Total votes: 36
Kao
SL Name: Kaoru Slade
Role: hypnosleen

Two-handed weapons and block

Postby Kao » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:39 pm

The picture is clearly invalid and not BtB.

Did Descartes
Depart
With the thought
"Therefore I'm not"?
Shjade
SL Name: Shjade Rajal
Caste: Entertainer (Singer/Poet)
Role: Inspiration
Home Stone: Shangrila

Re: Two-handed weapons and block

Postby Shjade » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Yes. Several weapons can block without use of a shield.

Physics!
Conversation is more useful than conversion.
Sacha
SL Name: Resident Resident

Postby Sacha » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:26 pm

Doesn't the GM system already have a block feature with weapons? Asking, cause I know it does.

So then, adding the "bracer" type of shield is merely adding an extra layer of defense without a concrete reason isn't it? Reasonably, with a single handed weapon, a vambrace type of shield would make sense but with a two handed weapon it seems a little, well, like cheating since there already IS a block feature in place.
This should be interesting.
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:37 am

I am not so interested in a two-handed weapon ecause thats to heavy for me any way, but I made a bracer with a shield script. I wonder how valid that is, I know in some sims they forbid such.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
RavingRob
SL Name: RavingRob Radek
Caste: Of Questionable Repute
Role: Keep Wondering
Home Stone: A City of Dust

Postby RavingRob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:38 am

What I'm finding is that it's the offhand of a dual weapon that's blocking melee hits. When holding twin swords, the one in the left hand, won't cause damage, but will act as a shield
Kao
SL Name: Kaoru Slade
Role: hypnosleen

Postby Kao » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:55 am

Sacha wrote:Doesn't the GM system already have a block feature with weapons? Asking, cause I know it does.

So then, adding the "bracer" type of shield is merely adding an extra layer of defense without a concrete reason isn't it? Reasonably, with a single handed weapon, a vambrace type of shield would make sense but with a two handed weapon it seems a little, well, like cheating since there already IS a block feature in place.

Sorry if I misunderstood you, but maybe you are confusing GM defense model with GLM. There are no layers of defense in GM, only dodge without the shield script and block with the shield script. Having more than one attached object with the shield script does not improve the block ability, you either have it or not.

RavingRob:

Can you name the weapon maker please, and check if the offhand object actually has the shield script in it? If it is one of the widely accepted brands, it answers my question.
Did Descartes
Depart
With the thought
"Therefore I'm not"?
Jason Susenko
SL Name: Jason Susenko
Caste: Outlaw
Role: Merchant

Postby Jason Susenko » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:38 am

Blocking with the haft of a spear or polearm is, of course, possible, but the main benefit of a spear is that... well... it has range. Since our SL physics engine puts more emphasis on movement than on scripting (i.e. it's easier to move out of a person's range than to hunker down and block, unlike the more realistic combat engines of games like Oblivion, Mount&Blade, etc) I say we're alright just nixing the idea of two-handed weapons blocking and just leaving them with enhanced range or damage instead. If we give them the ability to defend as well as a normal sword and boarder can, then that defeats the purpose of balance, doesn't it?
Jason Susenko
Sarus Rau
Marius Glaz
NoneSpecified

Postby NoneSpecified » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:37 am

Jason Susenko wrote:Blocking with the haft of a spear or polearm is, of course, possible, but the main benefit of a spear is that... well... it has range. Since our SL physics engine puts more emphasis on movement than on scripting (i.e. it's easier to move out of a person's range than to hunker down and block, unlike the more realistic combat engines of games like Oblivion, Mount&Blade, etc) I say we're alright just nixing the idea of two-handed weapons blocking and just leaving them with enhanced range or damage instead. If we give them the ability to defend as well as a normal sword and boarder can, then that defeats the purpose of balance, doesn't it?

:yeahthat:

I consider using a shield and a two handed weapon cheating. Two handed weapons should have better range and damage to offset the lack of defense compared to that of a full shield, but making the defense of a shield script in a bracer the same as say a tower shield plus the enhanced damage of a two handed weapon is unfair.
RavingRob
SL Name: RavingRob Radek
Caste: Of Questionable Repute
Role: Keep Wondering
Home Stone: A City of Dust

Postby RavingRob » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 pm

[quote="Kao"
RavingRob:

Can you name the weapon maker please, and check if the offhand object actually has the shield script in it? If it is one of the widely accepted brands, it answers my question.[/quote]

It's a new feature that Primus is adding, I have 2 models of sword that do it. The offhand sword is scripted to block melee as a shield does(for me, page down button, or the single letter-that I can never remember)

c/p from the note card:
Something new to our Dual weapons is our new Offhand Weapon Shield. Instead of just a secondary weapon for looks we've made it into a shield by using the GM Shield scripts. They are completely legal in every sim that uses the Gorean Meter. The shield (offhand weapon) when drawn will block any attacks that come your way. Shields dodge melee strikes always, if and only if you have defense left on your meter. Shielding a strike takes defense from you. Once your defense is gone you will no longer block or dodge. A shield can shield from ranged attack also though only at 30% success rate and it never can shield a direct hit.
Jason Susenko
SL Name: Jason Susenko
Caste: Outlaw
Role: Merchant

Postby Jason Susenko » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:02 pm

I have the same scimitar. It's basically a shield script in a sword prim. Crouching pushes it to defend ('c' button). It's not the greatest representation of how a two-weapon fighter ought to fight, but it works, and I'd consider it legal.
Jason Susenko
Sarus Rau
Marius Glaz

Return to “Weapons”