It'll Light your cigars, and enemies..of GOR!

So, overall opinions on this bit of random exercise

Dear Lord why! Weren't Bow made of spikes bad enough?
6%
Dear Lord why! Weren't Bow made of spikes bad enough?
6%
Actually, it's not bad as a quick build and is thought provoking
13%
Actually, it's not bad as a quick build and is thought provoking
13%
While funny, let us hope it never sees use by anyone
19%
While funny, let us hope it never sees use by anyone
19%
Finally, initiates can fight back against pwner doods...sell it for over 9000 Lindens
No votes
Finally, initiates can fight back against pwner doods...sell it for over 9000 Lindens
No votes
I've read the book, and It looks semi legit
No votes
I've read the book, and It looks semi legit
No votes
I've read the book and will now post about how wrong this is.
13%
I've read the book and will now post about how wrong this is.
13%

Total votes: 16
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

It'll Light your cigars, and enemies..of GOR!

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:50 am

So today I finally did something I've been threatening to do for years as a joke. I made this.

Now for those who may not know what that is, it's my take on a version of the silver tubes used by both the priest kings, and trusted human agents. It's effectively a raygun that can cause a blue flame effect at a personal level. It also seems to be a handy way of lighting fires. Or, cigars and pipe tobacco.

For those who know what it is, I'd like your thoughts. I lacked the reference materials I worked from when designing my dart thrower so I'm fairly certain it's not book accurate. However I wanted to give it an alien vibe, like it was designed by something for whom fingers are not limited totwo or three joints. Did I do it justice in this regard?

Also, for those who have Priest Kings of Gor, am I even close in how it's written up in that book? Should i have just made it a literal tube, or do they have a shape of some sort Tarl glosses over before regaling us with a discussion on gorean wool dieing?

Also of course, should this kind of thing ever ever EVER be permitted to anyone. The community has progressed to where we have kurrii running around trading maps with 'outlaws', multiple merchants now offer dart throwers of various design, all amidst the standard whackiness of 'mainstream' weapons. So, will we ever have a need to throw rayguns down into that mess and can it be done sanely?
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Mehrunes Unsworth
SL Name: Mehrunes Unsworth

Re: It'll Light your cigars, and enemies..of GOR!

Postby Mehrunes Unsworth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:07 am

it doesn't look quite like I imagined it, the picture in my head was always a bit thicker of a rod.

interesting tho
Blue Conover

Postby Blue Conover » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 am

didnt it have a dial or a way of turning the strength down. you could fire many small killing shots
or like Tarl did fire one huge one blow the shit out of a flying transport thingiemigger
Aseptimus
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Postby Aseptimus » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:52 am

My impression from PKs is of a wrist thick tube with a dial toward or at one end.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
Chaos Rau
SL Name: Lucias Lexenstar
Caste: Warrior
Role: Mu'Harib
Home Stone: Pravus

Postby Chaos Rau » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 am

Can I point out the PK's were instectoid so any human like design would be pointless, would be some designed for someone without thumbs to use. So that design is kind of interesting, I always imagined somthing that really just looked like a silver tube, somthing that pincers could grab onto easily with a button on top or below as a trigger.
The priest kings from most of the descriptions in Priest kings of gor. Seem to me to be very minimalist in nature and design, everything is smoothed over with no kinks or flamboyance. Simple and straight functionality. As they use eyes differently to humans that makes alot of sense that somthing would quite simply be A silver 'tube'.

A dialled version as I remember was on the smaller, cylindrical tube version, which could be used in the palm of a human hand, that version contained a dial that could adjust its power settings. However that device is more a fire lighter it has enough charge to fire one high burst of energy, enough to slay an opponent, but I can't remeber if that was Kur weapon or infact a PK weapon.
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:25 pm

There actually is a dial/firing button on it it just doesn't show up well in the picture. It's about where you'd expect a trigger on a normal firearm and due to the angle it looks like a small lump. If I was to continue with this I'd probably add a more obvious dialing mechanism to where the weird curvy bits meet the tube part. Not only would that be convenient, it'd hide the seams you can see on lower graphics settings. :)

Does anyone have any direct quotes from the books on the weapon's shape though? It makes only two appearances I can think of, first in captive of gor in the second or third chapter when a PK comes down to inspect the kurri ship, and more prominently in Priest Kings of gor.

Also, were I to carry this exercise through to the end, how should I implement damage? OPtion A is obvious, just have it act like a bow and arrow. Considering the number of other weapons that should/could one shot you it makes sense from the meter perspective. Option B is more controversial and involves enabling it to do multiple strikes over a set time (a DOT if you will). Neither would take a person out in one hit, but both represent their own little issues.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:39 pm

Well we have influx in kur and their people so its about time I imagine that agents of the priest king will start popping up and now they have a weapon as well.
Hockey Stick!
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:35 pm

Eh, that actually fills me with some trepidation and is one reason I've never bothered to even make a joke silver tube before now. It was bad enough I had to suffer armies of katana bearing co eds storming cities without them abusing more book quotes to justify 'rayguns'. Next thing you know my warnings of Ak-47 wielding combat co eds invading Ar would have come true.

But, this is just a 'what if' kind of topic as I have no real plans, yet, to do much with the entire idea. Which is why I'm asking about both how it should be meter wise, but also if it's thematically appropriate in most ways.

Return to “Weapons”