Killer kitchenware

What damage should a hefty skillet and or rolling pin do in gorean meter?

Club/pickaxe damage. It's just as lethal as any other similiar tool and it's not cheating
15%
Club/pickaxe damage. It's just as lethal as any other similiar tool and it's not cheating
15%
Slave or other lesser damage. Women and bakers shouldn't have the ability to effectively fight back
18%
Slave or other lesser damage. Women and bakers shouldn't have the ability to effectively fight back
18%
Slave or other lesser damage. Keeps it as more a fun toy or RP aid than a viable weapon.
10%
Slave or other lesser damage. Keeps it as more a fun toy or RP aid than a viable weapon.
10%
Hybrid damage. Script a type switch to let the end user decide.
5%
Hybrid damage. Script a type switch to let the end user decide.
5%
Other which I shall politely post below.
3%
Other which I shall politely post below.
3%
Make it cheap and make it cheat. tis funny. XD
No votes
Make it cheap and make it cheat. tis funny. XD
No votes

Total votes: 40
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Killer kitchenware

Postby Rhubardin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Alright so I'm about to finish up yet another oddball set of kit for gorean & medieval themed role play. Nothing quite as eccentric as a sledgehammer women might or might not be able to lift, but it was inspired by the thread on that.

I am of course speaking of the request for weaponized versions of rolling pins, and iron skillets. Obviously these are toys only a woman would normaly use, though I can see some bakers also wanting thse instead of a sword or club.

So now the question is, how to handle the damage (Recurring theme for me it seems). It's obvious a big heavy skillet can, and will ruin a person's day as can a rolling pin, but does that mean it should do club damage? Should it perhaps be scripted for slave level damage more beffiting its use by noncombatants? Or, does the fact most combat monkies rely on bows, and a book quote involving the lethal applications of utensils render it a moot issue?

If I just made that to confusing I've got a poll set up asking for input as well. Should I make it club damage only, low slave damage only, or should I perhaps script a option to switch between the two into the weapon? How do you feel about breadmakers being able to crack a skull of an uppity outlaw? Also of course, does this actually matter when taking in the metagame of pew pew combat?
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Blue Conover

Re: Killer kitchenware

Postby Blue Conover » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:20 pm

Its not about being "lethal as xyz" its about trying to preserve the environement. Women arent allowed 40% swords because its totally ungorean, its because we can not fully rp the environemental factors of gor.
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:42 pm

So, which should i go for then Blue? Obviously it's going to have the option to do damage, if only because the pew pew has no real bearing on thematic elements after a certain point. It also would strike me as unfair to sell a frieing pan that just goes PANG rather than inflicting some kind of visible ouchy on the target.

You and I know that a good role player should be able to go with taking damage when hit even if his meter doesn't scream at him, but some would prefer to see there be a visible element that would make its use less, funny. So, it's gotta do something in the end. Also that something has to be meter legal, and more or less thematically appropriate to the setting.

Obviously I am of the mind that club damage is the way to go but I'm not arrogant enough to just assume that's acceptable. Not to mention feedback helps make a better product in the future.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Sidney
SL Name: Sid

Postby Sidney » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:25 pm

No more than dagger damage for sure. I have a cast iron pan, and it is heavy! If I got brained with it I doubt I'd survive. But since it would have no leverage, it wouldn't be anywhere near a sword or axe. Dagger damage but much slower.
Stephania Vuckovic
SL Name: Ania
Caste: Rencer
Role: Meh's Woman
Home Stone: Port Kar

Postby Stephania Vuckovic » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:09 pm

I used to teach women's self defence... anything can be used as a weapon
Carter
SL Name: ***

Postby Carter » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:35 am

FGS.. now we have lara croft dressed in FW clothing with pans and brushes charging around the place huh :ohgawd:

make a brush too that flies and we can re-enact scenes from Bewitched and learn to wrinkle our noses..

where does this silliness stop
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:49 am

I know that Andera Shermer sells such kitchen weapons.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:45 am

Carter wrote:FGS.. now we have lara croft dressed in FW clothing with pans and brushes charging around the place huh :ohgawd:

make a brush too that flies and we can re-enact scenes from Bewitched and learn to wrinkle our noses..

About the time a tarn drops a load on you, back on topic however, go with the hybrid on it Rhu, set it for club, and slave. From a marketing standpoint i would see this selling the best, as the slave or free can set the damage as the sim requires. From a realistic stand point id say club, I also have cast iron skillet, and getting bonked in the nogging wiht it wuold probably knock me otu cold if not cracked my skull.
Hockey Stick!
Willow
SL Name: Willow Jenipe

Postby Willow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:31 am

Club damage is certainly the most accurate and fairest. Cast iron frypans are heavy! If someone got clonked by it, then it's not possible that they would do no more than just say ouch. A rolling pin too; it depends on what kind of pin you have, but those old-fashioned solid wood ones would be at least as effective as a policeman's truncheon, which after all was designed to be an effetive weapon.
Eta
SL Name: Eta Nightfire/Amara Kita
Caste: Outlaw/Artsy Fartsy
Role: Panther/Painter
Home Stone: Shattered Halls

Postby Eta » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:50 am

Carter wrote:FGS.. now we have lara croft dressed in FW clothing with pans and brushes charging around the place huh :ohgawd:

Lara Croft is almost as silly as Tarl. Wats ur point?

Unless you scared of a woman with a rolling pin huh? <shakes the 8 inch, wide girth rolling pin threateningly in front of you> Huh huh??? :teehee:
"We are dying from overthinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything. Think. Think. Think. You can never trust the human mind anyway. It`s a death trap." Anthony Hopkins.

Return to “Weapons”