Sims Police Weapons not Weapon Makers

Is it solely up to a sim to police weapon's?

Yes
24%
Yes
24%
No - It's up to a Weapon Maker too
2%
No - It's up to a Weapon Maker too
2%
No - It's up to a meter makers
2%
No - It's up to a meter makers
2%
No - It's up to Weapon Makers Only
No votes
No - It's up to Weapon Makers Only
No votes
No - It's up to Weapon Makers / Meter Makers / Sims in a Collaborated effort
19%
No - It's up to Weapon Makers / Meter Makers / Sims in a Collaborated effort
19%
No - It's Down to meter makers and weapon Makers Sims have enough work to do
No votes
No - It's Down to meter makers and weapon Makers Sims have enough work to do
No votes
Other - Please Explain
4%
Other - Please Explain
4%

Total votes: 54
Blue Conover

Sims Police Weapons not Weapon Makers

Postby Blue Conover » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:09 pm

In another thread people are stating Weapon makers have the right to do what they want because it's up to sims to allow things.
How true do you feel this is? that a weapon maker has no responsibility to making a product that is fair / legal and its completely down to a sim to decide if the weapon is ok to use.

People complain about bows being too fast, and yet when i started in SL Gor the bows were firing once every Second.
The reason bows speed up was simply that a new bow maker came along and decide to make his bows a fraction faster. Sim's didnt police and so they all speed up to compete in the market place, and that then became "the standard" everyone used, groups protest against the speed and get told by sims, Speak to weapon makers its not up to me to tell them how to make weapons. You speak to the weapon makers they say its not up to us to decide the standard, if i slow my bows down no one will buy them, Get sims to ban faster bows and we will make slower ones.

Meter makers say it's not up to us to police a standard we are happy with this one.

Now GLM did try and complain, reduced speeds via the meter, and were told by groups that they didnt like the meter because it was laggy and wasn't registering hits (yeah. people didnt understand some still don't that most hits werent laggy, just not registering because they were too fast)

So. What do you guys think?
Personally i think there is a level responsibilty from a weapon maker to make sure that the weapons they produce are fair in a sense, (which is why i comend Rhu for posting here) because it it is never built there isn't a need for it to be policed.
Resolver Bouchard

Re: Sims Police Weapons not Weapon Makers

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:33 pm

I see it as two seperate issues.

I don't think weapon and meter makers should be dictating the roleplay environment, the sim should be the only entity that defines that. Weapon types, allowed weapons by gender, caste etc., acceptable visual standards should be defined by the sim.

However, it is the responsibilty of the weapon maker to ensure their weapon comforms to relevant standards in terms of rate of fire, damage etc. and that its visual appearance matches the damage type. If sims don't put their foot down and ban illegal weapons and even makers then the arms race will just continue.
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:36 pm

My take is this Blue..

Sim owners have final say in all situations regarding what weapons to use..

Once a sim owner says no then it's up to the people that make the choice to go to that sim not to break the rules.

If a sim owner wishes to ban individual weapons or weapons makers, even style of weapons, I support the sim owners choice in that decision.

Anyone caught breaking the rules set forth by sim owner should be punished accordingly.

I voted other..
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..
Torrid Streeter
Busty McModsalot
SL Name: Torrid
Role: Devil's Advocate

Postby Torrid Streeter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:46 pm

So far I agree with the first two posters completely!

Having owned a sim for over two years I had enough to do without worrying about weapons and their makers. We had sepearate weapon testers and it was their job to see the weapons fit in with the criteria my sim set, criteria these people help us set up. I was not knowledgable enough about speeds, splash etc. Many sim owners are NOT knowledgeable about this sort of thing. It's bad enough they barely get time to RP. I acnt tell you how many times in one day my husband or myself would get an IM and so and so's weapon being illegal or too fast.
Ridicule is the first and last argument of fools.
Charles Simmons
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I am of the mind it's a collaborative effort from all those who provide content to the community.

For the meter maker it's up to them to make sure their system is not only useable but not so open to cheating that it becomes a joke to use it. It's also up to them to provide the options needed to make combat more than just a contest of who spams prims the fastest, by giving us diversity in fighting options. Things like different attack types, varied options the end user can adjust for their sim, etc etc.

Though of this trinity I consider weapon makers to hold the most responsibility, despite the fact they're the most likely to cause issues. It's a sad fact that many of the so called weapon producers are in an arms racr to produce 'better'. Many don't bother to consider what this feature will be used for, or worse they know but they have it just so they can charge more for a 'better' weapon. Then people who need to win, buy that more expensive option because it's pwntastic and does everything but emote for them. Of course there's also the issue with weapons being marketed for areas they have no business being seen in. Fantasy weapons in gor themed areas for example.

Finally of course are the people who really are the most important, but often the most overwork in this regard, sim admins. I personally support the right of a sim owner to ban certain weapon types, though I do like to know why a item is banned and get quite frustrated when I find out its just some arbirtrary decicion based on someone else's abusive item, or plain ignorance. I also find it annoying at having to go through a bunch of hoops with each individual sim to get my gear approved there, especially when a weapon maker who just came on the scene a few months back is there, but my team (four years and counting) is not. Add in the fact many of the 'legal' weapons hardly qualify as items you'd find in the setting and it gets very irksom. It's become such a hassle I don't bother anymore as I'd rather be building. It seems that in the end, the strongest line of defense from sim abuse, is often the weakest.

So uhmm, there we go. Short version, It's everyone's fault, and everyone's responsibility.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Sidney
SL Name: Sid

Postby Sidney » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:51 pm

Yes. This has been my position all along. If you aren't getting your needs fulfilled by a given sim, then find another one. More importantly, don't come to sims where you might, say, get your ass kicked by women, then start crying like a little girl about it. YOU are in the wrong place, not them.
Carter
SL Name: ***

Postby Carter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Rhubardin wrote:I am of the mind it's a collaborative effort from all those who provide content to the community.

I will collaborate with you .. you give me and the other Gorean Sim owners 75% of the money you make selling weapons to use in our sims, that we pay for and make no financial benefit from.. thats the collaboration I want from weapons makers..

and stop pushing the bounadaries with stupid bone crushing weapons for women , that would also allow sim owners to actually RP in the sims they own, rather than police the lastest 4m tall Ballista of Death strapped to some poor suckers back trying to look supah ninja kewl.
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:09 pm

You want 75% of my profits to go to sim owners? Okay, but they'd make more money from me renting vendor stalls than in getting a cut of what I keep from sales. I think I make at most 50 L per ever 300 to 400 I'm given for my team's art, divide that up amongst the hundreds of sims and you best hopI sell a few hundred weapons a week.

But then, I've never been in this for the money. If I was I'd have made something like a bow that adjusts your aim based on movement, switched to melee mode when it was more convenient fires six different kinds of arrows, looks like something from Bayonetta, and costs over 700 lindens.

Beleive it or not I do take this whole design process very seriously. I also try to adhere to weapon standards very closely. So please, take the hatefullness and go impale it on the spikes and razoblades of your sword's hilt.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Allison Millet
SL Name: Allison Millet
Role: bondmaid
Home Stone: Kalana Woods
Owner: Jarl Wolf

Postby Allison Millet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Rhubardin wrote:You want 75% of my profits to go to sim owners? Okay, but they'd make more money from me renting vendor stalls than in getting a cut of what I keep from sales. I think I make at most 50 L per ever 300 to 400 I'm given for my team's art, divide that up amongst the hundreds of sims and you best hopI sell a few hundred weapons a week.

But then, I've never been in this for the money. If I was I'd have made something like a bow that adjusts your aim based on movement, switched to melee mode when it was more convenient fires six different kinds of arrows, looks like something from Bayonetta, and costs over 700 lindens.

Beleive it or not I do take this whole design process very seriously. I also try to adhere to weapon standards very closely. So please, take the hatefullness and go impale it on the spikes and razoblades of your sword's hilt.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Hockey Stick!
E. Edward Gray
SL Name: Mr. Resident
Role: Back in the Game

Postby E. Edward Gray » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Carter wrote:
Rhubardin wrote:I am of the mind it's a collaborative effort from all those who provide content to the community.

I will collaborate with you .. you give me and the other Gorean Sim owners 75% of the money you make selling weapons to use in our sims, that we pay for and make no financial benefit from.. thats the collaboration I want from weapons makers..

and stop pushing the bounadaries with stupid bone crushing weapons for women , that would also allow sim owners to actually RP in the sims they own, rather than police the lastest 4m tall Ballista of Death strapped to some poor suckers back trying to look supah ninja kewl.

Want time to roleplay without worrying about the meter weapons and 4 m tall ballista of death?

Make your sim meterless..

Problem solved..

Sorry but you come off as wanting everything given to you without effort on your part..

You want a sim of your own, you want to have all the fun of combat, you want everyone only build the weapons that you want, you don't want to have to look at what they build to make sure it's right, and now you want them to pay you for the privilege of giving you something to play with? :o.O: :o.O:

If some poor deprived sim owner cannot handle the extra responsibility that comes from offering meter combat then that is their problem, not the meter maker, not the weapons maker, not the scripters.

I am all for sim owners having their sim be the way they want it, but I find it rather pathetic to assume that everyone is going to do all the building for them..
I'm not happy unless you're not happy..

Return to “Weapons”