Yes, so long as it's not a sword,axe or other martial weapon
6%
Yes, so long as it's not a sword,axe or other martial weapon
6%
No, not even if it's a rough club or similiar idea
23%
No, not even if it's a rough club or similiar idea
23%
Maybe, though the idea of a club scripted and then a great scripted weapon is better.
No votes
Maybe, though the idea of a club scripted and then a great scripted weapon is better.
No votes
Make it, and let the sims decide if they'll let it be used.
21%
Make it, and let the sims decide if they'll let it be used.
21%
Other that I'll post below
No votes
Other that I'll post below
No votes

Total votes: 52
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Re: Great (Damage) weapons for women

Postby HorizonNinetails » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:26 pm

When I said "realistic" I didn't mean real to life. That argument has already been beaten to death.

I meant "fair relative to the system implemented". I apologize. I should have been more direct and explicit.

You ask how two people with the same meters and the same weapons are doing different damage:
Its because thematically the sim owners have chosen to have the combat system weighted that way by choosing weaker females.

I think most people know about Thord's axe that does great damage. I think that is an accurate representation of the size of a weapon, to me, that would do great damage. I don't think the books that I've read would give me the inclination to think that a woman would be seeking to pick up something like that.
Rhubardin
SL Name: Rhubardin Fluffball

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:35 pm

You did see the comparison picture earlier in the discussion right? I too have a great axe, specifically and only intended for men with big builds. So, I agree a weapon beyond a certain size is just stupid for women to use and would never build and market such a behemoth for the gor themed crowd.

Oh and one thing. From the gorean meter weapon specs card.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Section 9: Great Axe and Great hammers - huge hammers and huge axes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Great Axes / Great Hammers 1.6 sec 3.3m 180 degree great axe

No switching stances here, if your weapon is a Great Axe then its always a great axe, and never gets lighter so you can swing it faster. Its up to you
if its a Great Axe / Hammer or not, but it cant be settable in both great mode and normal.

Not exactly the gawd's pronouncement just showing that the damage type is intended for a big firking hammer, on at least this meter.

And I'm still not sure how the panther is doing more damage with the same specced weapon. Especially if weaker females is chosen. I guess I'm going to have to go do some research on this matter once I get the bow updates done.

Any sims with stronger melee and weaker women have an arena I can test in? Or, would a sim owner of such a place like to get some free toys for them and a female compatriot to study?
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
cry
SL Name: Cry Hawker

Postby cry » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:43 am

The big problem appears to be the fact that most people ask the wrong question. "Do you accept me beeing a panther girl/free women beating the sh*** out of you by using a armageddon two-handed axe of doom?"

Most people will say "Do what you want..if you seek fair combat." But thats the thing that bugs me....gor isnt fair. Gor is a clearly defined world of men dominating women...who are by "nature" physically weaker. What the heck does a player seek when he enters this world with a female avatar beeing tuned to compete even with the strongest rarius on the field of warfare. That ability makes him a man after all. In brutal warfare and ability to overcome others especially girls by physical strength. Why do you try to avoid the differences that make gorean roleplay gorean instead of focussing on them. Combat should support gorean rp not contradicting it.

Most of the players of panthers are able to invade and plunder a city defended by warriors alone....and they actually do so. I see a tragedy in that cause they deny those players having chosen the difficult role of men on gor..who despite of having the same enviroment of soft- and hardware are stated to be stronger then their female counterparts. Its easy to spoil that. But why? Why chose a weapon that takes the advantage away from the man in combat who would maybe able in rp to play a proper warrior completly argueing every female out. Accept the differences and do not support combat that takes the "gorean" out of "gorean roleplay".

my 2 cents
Tashiana
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Caste: Panther
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele

Postby Tashiana » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:54 am

Oooohh Welcome to the Gorums Cry!

I actually agree with you in this even if I am a panther. Its really not very easy for the guys to uphold the image of being big brutal fearsome fighters when they have just the same tools at their hands as anyone else. I admitt I prefere to be beaten by a "better" player then myself but since men have a really difficult role as it is I would not mind at all if they got some advatages.

Just the more cudos for the girls if they still beat them.

One thing is if the "Weaker females" option in the Servers could be a bit better explained so maybe more sims would start to use them.

/Hugs from tash.. take her big sack and sneaks out into the dark to take advantage of unguarded stores.
Dont ask ... just do.
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:44 pm

cry wrote:The big problem appears to be the fact that most people ask the wrong question. "Do you accept me beeing a panther girl/free women beating the sh*** out of you by using a armageddon two-handed axe of doom?"

Rhu snips the rest

my 2 cents

Just to be clear that's not my question in this case.

Spend enough time discussing these things with me and you'll see i have a distinct dislike for stuff that's done 'because I can' rather than 'because the setting permits it'. So, no women running around with massive swords. But then, I'll also expect 'men' (Or just people in a gor themed sim in general) to not be running around with these glowy, spikey, masses of gothica.

Of course you'll notice the hammer shown is in no way spikey, glowey, made from carbon fibre, shooting arrows, or even being advertised as an 'equalizer' for women. It's being shown as a big wooden hammer that's far more likely to be used on a fencing project than someone's skull.

Compare this to my other two hander, the Kur Crusher axe. This specifically says it is for great big men.
I am an opionated artist, not a typist or english professor. So, excuse my typos and the occasional mispelling. Also yes, sometimes I will say weird things you need to google to figure out.
Aseptimus
SL Name: Dmitri Ruby
Caste: Builder
Role: Tinker
Home Stone: The Source
Owner: Time

Postby Aseptimus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:09 pm

I'm in the 'no' camp on this one too. I mean, that's not to say you can't make it and sell it, just that if I were admin I would not permit it to be used.

Blunt/impact weapons are based on mass*velocity. Weapons that deal 'Great' damage therefore should have the most mass, and require a significant expenditure of energy and time to bring up to speed. The warrior needs to apply a high amount of torque to get that mallet-head moving at a rotational velocity sufficient to be combat effective. A woman simply couldn't do this. The weapon would be lighter and faster and therefore deal significantly less damage.
Respect Your Privacy. Turn off Facebook: https://ssl.facebook.com/help/contact.p ... te_account
“Art is vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it.”
- Edgar Degas
Rhubardin

Postby Rhubardin » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Aseptimus wrote:I'm in the 'no' camp on this one too. I mean, that's not to say you can't make it and sell it, just that if I were admin I would not permit it to be used.

Blunt/impact weapons are based on mass*velocity. Weapons that deal 'Great' damage therefore should have the most mass, and require a significant expenditure of energy and time to bring up to speed. The warrior needs to apply a high amount of torque to get that mallet-head moving at a rotational velocity sufficient to be combat effective. A woman simply couldn't do this. The weapon would be lighter and faster and therefore deal significantly less damage.

MY experiences in the late 80s with parking lot car smashing booths would say that some women can swing a sledge hard enough to do some damage, though I see where you're going with this. Obviously it takes a trained fighter to heft a big weapon and not just swing it accurately , but do so more than once while remaining alive. Even Norman concedes that the torvie axe requires a skilled and wily martial artist to achieve full effectiveness.

However let us remember physics has little to do with meter combat overall. Just look at bows.

Now here's a question since you said a woman's 'great' weapon isn't overly feasible. If I added a new version that had the speed, range, and damage of a club, but the same animations would you have a issue with it? I avoided this before as GM specs specifically forbid mixing damage types on ANY and ALL weapons that do great damage. This is also one reason I opted to include a one handed mallet in the same package.

But, as the larger weapon obvsiously is not a club of the more common variety, would you take issue with it being used as such keeping in mind animation wise it would appear to be the same as a much higher damaging weapon?

Oh, and I said earlier in this thread I'd prefer NOT to do just that. But meh, give the customers what they need right?

Return to “Weapons”