The Gorean Forums - Closing Down

Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

The Gorean Forums - Closing Down

Postby Vector » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:40 am

Hi guys

I got a message from Ceri suggesting the Boards be closed down. There is very little traffic to warrant whatever cost Ceri/Mal have to pay to keep us active so it makes sense to close them down. I don't have a definitive date as to when they will vanish, but it will be soon.

If anyone out there wants to run (and fund) these Boards, can I suggest they PM Ceri immediately if there is to be any hope of them staying active.

Thanks for your support folks. With SL Gor having gone the way it has, there is no wonder we've not considered closing down before now. I've administrated them for nearly 9 years and have been a member (Judas) since before then, so its had a good run.

Peace and love, wherever you are. Perhaps Ceri will add to this post.

Safe travels.

Judas/Vector
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: The Gorean Forums - Closing Down

Postby Leah » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Oh this makes me sad. :(

How much does this board cost, anyway? Monthly/yearly?
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Fortunes Cookie
SL Name: MingMing Charisma

Postby Fortunes Cookie » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:43 am

Oh damn... this was the LAST forum I had for SL Gor communications. I really am sad now. I keep checking back every so often, though sometimes there's been a few hiccups where I didn't know if the forum was 'up'... so I slowed down in checking...

I am curious how much it costs to maintain the forums, is there no way to convert to a free forum board like https://www.createaforum.com/ at all?

If anyone wants to stay in touch, can we at least create some kind of farewell board?
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Hey guys! Sorry, the board errored and wouldn’t let me log on, just another reason to finally shut her down I suppose. I appreciate you guys hanging on so long, and Vector for being Such a trooper, but staying open for 2 or 3 posts every few months is just silly. Thank you all so very much. I’m not sure when we will shut it down, but eventually. *hugs you all* take care everyone!
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Maligant
Tech Guy
SL Name: Maligant

Postby Maligant » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:50 pm

Cost of the board...this is quantified in more than just money out of pocket...but let me kind of do a stream of consciousness here - so please bear with me.

So the rough estimate is between domain name (minor) and the hosting this board takes in the realm of $85 USD a year to run.

Why is this so high with all the free hosting out there? (put on my tech hat here for you...)

• The fact is that we have a decade worth of archived material (some of our oldest posts are from 2009). This honestly includes the fact that I lost a portion of the archives when I moved providers ~3.5 years ago so there would be even more if I didn't mess that move up (sorry!).
  • This quantity of material, in addition to the fact that we will host the embedded images, etc., leads to needing a larger than typical disk allocation on both the database and file system levels.
  • Another factor is with all of the above, we tend to require a bit more horsepower to run the forum. Most of your free, or ultra low cost providers, put a very crazy low cap on the amount of CPU and memory that you can use for sites. This site needs 1GB memory and some decent CPU to be able to run efficiently. I tried with less compute resources and we had major, major performance issues running on some of the smaller hosts.

Then there is the maintenance factor. Some of the features we put in, and I'll admit that I have not kept up to date on, are not "out-of-the-box" options for PHPBB. That means that we had to invest extra (wo)man-power to keep things looking and working the way our community liked to see it run. Vector has been a boon to the site helping us keep afloat while Ceri and I dealt with a myriad of health and personal challenges over the years that took us away from being more involved.

I'm not looking to shut down the forums "soon" but it is something that is sort of on the horizon. I don't want to cause a poor experience (as much as we have already stumbled over the past few years with outages, etc.) and loose what I feel was a great legacy here for the gorums. On the other hand, it's something that Ceri and I just don't have the time to invest anymore to make this the experience I think everyone deserves from the gorums.

There's still some time on the proverbial clock, which is why we put the feelers out to see if there is an heir apparent out there to keep "the vision" alive.
"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever."
Fortunes Cookie
SL Name: MingMing Charisma

Postby Fortunes Cookie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:16 pm

Hey there again.... Has there been anyone out that has replied with interest in taking over the forum?

If someone did assume the forum, would there be time and technical knowledge costs in addition to the monetary costs?
Vector
Site Admin
SL Name: Vector

Postby Vector » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:49 am

Fortunes Cookie wrote:Hey there again.... Has there been anyone out that has replied with interest in taking over the forum?

If someone did assume the forum, would there be time and technical knowledge costs in addition to the monetary costs?

Nobody has been in touch with myself but may have been in touch with Ceri or Mal. Yes there will be time costs, you will need to spend time behind the scenes administering like authorising new account requests or creating topics etc etc. The more popular you become the busier you will get, undoubtedly.

I can't answer for the technical side of life, I do the basics. Mal is the best bet to answer that one.

Vector/Judas
If you see something broken on these boards send me a PM please.
Maligant
Tech Guy
SL Name: Maligant

Postby Maligant » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:17 pm

So - technical side...

This can be from very low to very high.
  • The more "out of the box" your installation of phpbb (or forum of choice) the lower your tech maintenance time will be.
  • The more custom features (e.g. custom homepage, custom emoticons, addons like Tapatalk or various bot/spam deterrents) the more time you'll have to administer not only aspects such as keeping the phpbb installation up to date but also the extras that are added to help make the board a unique place.

There are other aspects that, although infrequent, are things to consider. Examples that I personally have had to tackle of the past 9-1/2 years:
  • If you're having database issues (this site currently is backed by MySQL) you'll either have to have some know how to handle it yourself or have a good hosting company who will work through issues with you.
  • Host requires that you lower you CPU usage because of hitting limits. How do you optimize the site to fall under their rules? -Be ready to read up and try to figure it out...

Side note...I was looking at my emails and various receipts and noticed we took over the gorums back in October of 2009. Doesn't feel like that long ago...man I'm getting old!

There hasn't been a TON of technical issues, but I would say an average of one big one every year or so would be par for the course. The last big one that crippled us, and almost caused everyone to leave for good, was the last outage back in 2017. That was a case where our host had upgraded back end pieces, without my notice, and in short broke the boards. These are the "scary" technical issues that you have to be ready for.

This is not meant to be a scare tactic but I want to be honest about what it takes to take over the boards. This isn't just a Facebook group where while it might be easier to administer, it in turn has none of the available feature set available to a forum. I feel that the pros outweigh the cons, but then again I am a glutton for punishment when it comes to spending spare time fixing things.
"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever."

Return to “From the Admins Desk”