Host change coming

Maligant
Tech Guy
SL Name: Maligant

Host change coming

Postby Maligant » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:45 pm

I have decided to utilize a new web host on the backend to help save myself some cost to operate the gorums among other things. Long story short I will be prepping to move the gorums from the current host to the new in the coming few weeks - 100% before September 15.

I will run a test move that should not impact you all in hopes of ensuring I have all the steps covered and can move with few-ish issues.

Once I have got that process laid out I will likely want to take the boards down for maybe one day to move everything so that we don't lose any posts or new registrations and such.

The end goal is that this should all be transparent to you except for the likelihood of a small amount of downtime and perhaps a small lag as DNS updates are made to the web address.
"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever."
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Re: Host change coming

Postby Leah » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:15 am

Will load times and responsiveness improve? I don't know who your host is at the moment, but this forum loads extremely slowly for me on most days, and often completely craps out during the afternoon/evening.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Maligant
Tech Guy
SL Name: Maligant

Re: Host change coming

Postby Maligant » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:01 pm

That is the hope. The current host started limiting us CPU cycles due to high resource usage on the database side. This has resulted in a drop in overall performance. Also factoring in is that the current host decided my renewal rate was going to be triple that of my past rates. :evil:

If performance doesn't improve I have to weigh other options such as more aggressive pruning of posts & threads. I think part of our issues stem from the fact that we have 200K posts and nearly 10K threads with 6 years of history (Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:50 am board creation date) with all the bells and whistles running.
"If the people we love are stolen from us, the way to have them live on is to never stop loving them. Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever."

Return to “From the Admins Desk”