The Gorean Forums Role Play Sim

This Forum is for people or homes to advertise for players they need in their rps, or for players to advertise themselves to homes that might need them.

Who's in?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:10 pm

I'll give it a shot. Count me in. (I'm posting more info below...)
33%
I'll give it a shot. Count me in. (I'm posting more info below...)
33%
Fe, I hate this idea. Run away. RUN AWAY!!
No votes
Fe, I hate this idea. Run away. RUN AWAY!!
No votes
I'm not in, but I'll read the drama filled posts that are sure to come from this. *grabs popcorn*
17%
I'm not in, but I'll read the drama filled posts that are sure to come from this. *grabs popcorn*
17%

Total votes: 30
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: The Gorean Forums Role Play Sim

Postby Tamar Luminos » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:23 am

Anarch Allegiere wrote:A sim is not something you make as a team, imo.

You need to have someone at the top that calls the shots and by whose vision the sim will be ran, and people around that person that can give advice, but in the end must understand that they are not the ones in charge.

A gorean sim is a very frail and fragile thing, and if too many people try to pull on the steering wheel the ship will sink much faster than anything else that requires coordination. If you want to build a sim, build it, listen to advice, but don't be too easily swayed by people that start to rage and disagree with your vision and rules, unless you can see reason in their points.

There are different types of roleplayers in SL Gor too. The 'gorean forums' are already a clique in itself, because of what they prefer in their roleplay. The more active you want your sim to become, the more diversity you'll need to accept among your roleplayers, and the more tolerance you'll have to maintain among your roleplayers for different styles. Cliques will be unavoidable, as people simply always prefer roleplaying with certain people over others, or are afraid of dilluting their current storylines with other new unknown things.

There will obviously be exceptions to this advice, as some groups of close friends might be a lot more similar minded than most people. Nor should the one in charge act like a dickish dictator that neglects all the effort and advice of his moderator team, or undermines their actions.

Roleplay and keeping the sim active, that requires teamwork and a big team.

All of this is really good advice.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Tamar Luminos wrote:All of this is really good advice.

I kinda feel like I worded it badly though.

It requires teamwork to build a good sim, from roleplayers and moderators, but someone needs to call the shots in the end. I've seen shared ownerships or 'shared entitlement to leadership' end very badly too often in SL. And I kinda feel that if you'd take the gorean forums and throw random people of it together to make a sim that there'll be a lot of disagreement and disorder.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Nah, I thought you worded it pretty well. That's been my experiences, too- you need a good team, an active team, willing to pitch in and have feet on the sim and be out roleplaying with people, but ultimately, you need ONE person with a cohesive vision for the sim calling the shots, and having the final say. I've seen too many sims with co-owners go under when the 2-3 people splitting the bill have a major disagreement and one or more of them bows out over it and the remainder can't foot the bill. End of sim.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:20 am

Actually, it annoys me that people rely so much on the admin team for their role play and stories. Once a lore has been written, people should develop their storylines around it without expecting people feed them, so, the admins could be able to have their own stories without feeling forced to entertain the whole sim (read carefully the lore, know who are the IC "VIP" people in the city like those families/houses/clans of influence and wealth, would help a lot, too.......)

Because the day where the admins get burned out or just because they need to give priority to their RL, people start leaving the sim for experiencing some new adventure (some new GoT/Urban/other Gor sim just opened...).

Being a sim entertainer is exhausting, day after day, especially when you have to neglect your own storylines and some role players are just high maintenance, in fact, more advanced they are, more demanding they become...
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:45 am

In another long-running rp sim (non-Gor) the owners just shared the lore, the dress code, the out of bounds behaviours, and popped in now and then to clarify points, maintain things or add new "toys".

There was no micro-managing or driving of plots from the owners that I ever saw, and no admin team amongst the player base. There were race leaders elected by other players who had simple OOC powers like sending group notices. They could not dictate or void anyone else's rp. Players that were able to behave themselves, follow the rules and not be rude to the owners or harass other players were free to rp just as they liked.

So far as I know, the owners never rp'd on the sim. It was run very much like a business.

It still exists actually.. a lot quieter but still there. I played there about 4 years off and on.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Sasi wrote:Being a sim entertainer is exhausting, day after day, especially when you have to neglect your own storylines and some role players are just high maintenance, in fact, more advanced they are, more demanding they become...

Some people just 'entertain' others by doing their own storylines. That is probably the best approach to take.

90% of the people entering a gorean sim mostly seek to be entertained, and hope to find someone with the energy to keep making up storylines. Without such people a sim can not become active imo, wether it's organized entertainment through sim planned storylines or sporadic natural entertainment because people are just doing their own roleplay.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:48 pm

I agree Anarch, but the problems start when these people especially rely on the admin team. Often, too, they wait for you bring them stories, you start building their stories, instead of taking initiatives.

More once I saw people going to admins and telling them "I don't know what to do, my character has nothing to do....." Sigh....
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:32 am

Happy medium. You need to have staff who can create a good setting, people leading major locations who can be actually interesting, and players who can act in it. Trouble is, people don't just stand around in a sim and generate RP from nothing, it's not spontaneous generation. They need fertile ground to work in, something to fire their imagination, and despite what so many think, "A place in Gor" is NOT enough.

You also need players and staff who use the locations given, and places that are well layed out. Example, if you have a smaller player base you don't need 2-3 taverns. You need warriors who actually RP being warriors, and people who treat the various castes as they should be treated. You need some sort of setting to your city that actually engages people and plots that are out there and visible. All the sneaky intrigue RP in the world is fucking useless if it's all so damn subtle no one even knows about it except for IMs that involve things like "Oh youuuuuu'll see. ;)". No, screw that. Show me and make it interesting. Not every plot needs to be that way, but your central sim plotlines and settings have to be for the sim, not just a few.
And you need to foster the locations you have. Like if there's a tavern, the male characters who run various castes, or government positions, damn well better be in there. It gives them RP, it exposes the sim in general to plots they otherwise might miss, and it turns the social areas into... well... social areas.
Fuck slavegirls, stop being so shy. If there's a hot slave, she should be getting used or messed with. They should have a purpose, even as toys.
The castes should be doing caste duties. If your caste's general duties are dull (scribes, builders) go outside the box, or maybe accept that your sim shouldn't have a realistic spread of castes. So what if your sim has mostly warriors? Work with it.

One builder? Deal with it, make it part of things.

Almost all of this starts with staff because like it or not, people take their cues from the staff of a sim because they're the people who are there first. When a new player arrives a week after open he's going to enter a sim where the player base is almost entirely staff. He's going to act upon, and join in on, what they're doing.

But it's on the players to actually go along with the way the sim is and the rp is going, and actually engage. i don't believe in this sim loyalty crap (if you like a sim you'll be loyal so it's on the sim to make it a fun place), but a sim is more than a place to park your same old character and RP your private stories for awhile until you move on to the next sim. That's insulting. Engage, be part of things, help and develop the sim while you're there. That treating of sims as just waystations for our own private RPs is part of the problem Gor has. No sim ever gets a life of its own because Gorean players treat sims as just another spot to plant their AV for a bit. The sims don't become cities with intertwining stories and random events that create great RP, they become small pockets of repeating, looping storylines.

It's on everyone. Equally.

And to respond to an earlier post. I darn well don't like Gor as it is. Sorry. I like the ideas. I liek the fights. I like the nubile slavegirls and strangeness.

I don't like SL Gor. I don't like that the vast majority of slave RPers go "I hate being a slave, it's boring." That's really terrible and the fact that it's so common means it's more than just people not RPing enough, sorry. It's something endemic to the fact that Gor is what Gor's always been. Not much is tried new, or different, or when it is there's this fear of upsetting people so it's turned into another iteration of yet another Gor sim. The ones we've been to with rare exception all blur together. They're all the same but for the builds. The builds change but they're always the same folks, doing the same things, the same way.

Even if it's Gor, it's time to mix it up, change How It's Done because they all seem to be on the same loop to the point where it's like Mr Bones Wild Ride with more tits.

Oh, and one more thing.

Stop with the fucking weather plots.
No more.
Stop. Stopit. STAHP. Weather with other things. Plotting while the snow falls. Invasions during pouring rain that cut visibility. Heatwaves during times of famine.

But "Oh it's really raining now!" Is not.
A damn.
Plot.

in fact,i t's the first sign that no one could think of anything interesting.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:04 am

Maybe 8-) :P
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Lokiande
SL Name: Lokiande Resident

Postby Lokiande » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:40 am

Plotting, YES PLZ.

I have just barebones ideas that could become something, tell me what you think. Bear in mind, these are all probably very stupid ideas at 4 in the morning.

- Slave rebellion? For whatever reason, maybe to see how far they can get.

*I think there was a quote about the PK bringing someone to Gor every thousand years to change the world?

- Just to see 'what would happen if': hippies on gor, serial killers on gor, geniuses on gor...

Stands to reason that they would introduce new animals onto Gor as well. So...

- Pernese dragons and riders on Gor?
- THE NA'VI
- WOOKIES
- JEDI
- CYBER MEN
- DALEKS
- tauntauns
- ANYTHING FROM DOCTOR WHO
- Pernese firelizards, tunnelsnakes, wherries, whers...

Return to “Classifieds Ads”