Isle of Illyros - New Feature Roles:

Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Isle of Illyros - New Feature Roles:

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Our initial feature roles filled up quickly, and now that we have a bit of a clearer view of the overall storyline direciton we've opened up several new feature roles:

http://counterearth.enjin.com/notablecharacters

"The Earthquake"
Captain ... of the Illyrian Guard, of House ...

While the Merchant-Magistrate Markos might be feared for his cruelty and madness, there is perhaps one man feared more still for his brutality and savageness. Having fought threats against Illyros and raided many nearby isles and ships for the sheer pleasure of it, having championed House Illyrian in many duels and disputes, and by rumor having once ripped the arms off one of the countless women he raped, it is no surprise to anyone that Markos has appointed such a man to be the captain of his guard. This giant brute of a man serves Markos with much loyalty, having earned his land and House title only because the Merchant-Magistrate bestowed it upon him for the slaughter the man commited in his name. If a man crosses the Merchant-Magistrate, they better hope they do not find this man towering over and staring down at them in a dark alley.

Nicknamed 'the Earthquake' for the thunderous strength and weight he crushes his enemies with, leaving his victims to shake in their boots.

Legendary Fighter: Wins more battles and wars than other characters.
Minor Faction leader: Your own acknowledged House with NPC servants, slaves and up to 10 NPC guards.
Faction Loyalty: This character is fiercely loyal to the Illyrians.

---

... of House ..., of Cos
Envoy of Cos

Cos had conquered Illyros at the end of the Drowned War, but bar the rioting, plundering and rape that happened on the outer edges of the city the terms remained amicable, mostly with an eye to the future. Every year Illyros is expected to pay a great tribute to Cos, consisting of several dozen chests of gold and silver coins, as part of the agreement between the then leaders of both city-states. Among the men who pillaged the households and ravaged the women of various Illyrosian families at the end of the war was ... of House ... (this character). For his victory and conquest he was awarded many Illyrosian women as slaves and granted a large fortune of his own to expand his House and army with countless more servants and guards.

Now after nearly four centuries the Ubar of Cos, Thelonius the Young has ordered this man to return to Illyros, and to take the battle-fit men of his House with him, to convince and intimidate Illyros in remembering the Drowned War peace agreement: the payment of the yearly tribute and for the first time in ages, the call to join a war against an enemy of Cos: Ar.

Major Faction Leader: Your own acknowledged Cosian House with NPC servants, family, slaves etc. and up to 40 NPC guards (to be used in wars and raids etc).
Faction Loyalty: This character is fiercely loyal to Cos' interests.
Major Antagonist: Your character and faction might be regarded as majorly invasive by other Illyrossian factions.

Feel free to apply for either role!
Anarch Allegiere

Re: Isle of Illyros - New Feature Roles:

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:20 am

*bump*

Both feature roles still open. Both very interesting parts to play!
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:22 am

We'd like to draw your attention to a new open feature role, a character who might come to play a major part in the twisted and treacherous politics and intrigue of Illyros:

Master-Assassin ...

This clever, cold and merciless Assassin had waited for many years, before seizing this opportunity of taking over the Black Caste Compound of Illyros. The constant weakening of Grabbius, the current Master and this man's mentor, now so close to his own end coupled with the rivalries and conflicts rising amongst the strongest factions of Illyros...and all of this against a backdrop of war between Ar and the Island Ubarates of Cos, Tyros and their various allies...All serve as ground both fertile and unstable enough to inaugurate his ascension to the leadership of the caste. But why stop there? With such tensions and plots changing, daily, the political and social landscape of the isle, why should this not (if the game is well played) serve as but a single step in his rise? More than the a seat at the head of caste's table may lie at the end of this road.

Around him, his caste brothers gather. Trainees prepare themselves to face, under the watch of a new Master, one of the harshest, bloodiest and often deadliest combat trainings ever known upon Gor or even within the caste itself. Trainees would be molded to his will. Confirmed killers would blanch upon consideration of the bodies he would leave in his wake, often (or so it would be said) without his appearing to lift a finger against them. Death, it begins to be said, stands at his shoulder; those who would not face it had best stand at his back.

Minor Faction Leader: Rule the Caste of Assassins on Illyros
Faction Loyalty: None. Free to choose their alliances.

The person applying for this role does not need to have done any SL Gor BC training, he or she simply needs to have researched the role properly. Our admins have a guidelines notecard ready written by Garian Vidor for the people interested in playing this part.

To apply: http://counterearth.enjin.com/recruitment

Also a reminder that two other important feature roles are still open:

The Captain of the Illyrian guard: A large brutal, cruel and feared Warrior.
The Envoy of Cos: A powerful man with a large army and much wealth and an even larger appetite for conquest and women.

For more information: http://counterearth.enjin.com/notablecharacters
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:34 am

Heads up...

You guys might want to change the way you are representing these roles and how you go about applying for them.

I helped my RL husband fill out the app less than two days ago where the wording on your website was very clear that the players filling these roles were committing to RPing the history written for the character. We didn't add anything else, RP wise, to the history because you guys fleshed it out pretty well, and it would give him room to grow in his role when and if he actually got to play on sim.

We also sent a really generic pick of a pirate looking dude, mostly because...why go out and go buy a bunch of stuff if you don't know if you can even play the guy yet?

He sent an IM to one of your Admin today to follow up on the app, and whoever he talked to was pretty condescending about said picture of 'pirate-ish guy' and 'lack of background written'.

When we went back to show the wording on the website about how the player taking on these roles was expected to play the history provided, it looked like the wording on the website itself had been changed since the application was submitted (which is good for future applicants...but annoying for trying to explain why the app was submitted the way it was).

His 'avatar wasn't Gorean enough', which was fair...but when he tried to explain that he didn't wanna go drop a bunch of lindens for a role he didn't know if he'd be approved to play, the response was 'You should have put that in your app' and was given a description of how 'Goreans were very proud of their caste' and other minor details of Gor and how to RP in a Gorean environment.
Yeah...we know. We've been playing Gor for years. :-?

Sort of a bad experience all around, and made -me- look like a moron or trying to recruit him to come play.

Allow me to make a suggestion:

1. Make sure that these notable character 'backgrounds' are explained with how much more you want them to flesh out. The one for the Emissary of Cos, the character he was trying to play, was already longer than the background you guys approved for my slave character (which was SUPER vague BTW). When I was helping him with his app, I had NO REASON to think he needed to add more.

2. I think it's unreasonable to expect people to make an avatar and costume them like these characters before you approve them playing them. Either that, or note that you'd be cool with seeing the avatar wearing demos or something (which STILL is a GIANT commit to ask...because we all know dressing an avatar can take hours).
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:58 am

FeorieFrimon wrote:When we went back to show the wording on the website about how the player taking on these roles was expected to play the history provided, it looked like the wording on the website itself had been changed since the application was submitted (which is good for future applicants...but annoying for trying to explain why the app was submitted the way it was).

We haven't changed the wording of this since at least a few weeks, as we the admins, and many people on the sim have been on a break with the holidays.

1. Make sure that these notable character 'backgrounds' are explained with how much more you want them to flesh out. The one for the Emissary of Cos, the character he was trying to play, was already longer than the background you guys approved for my slave character (which was SUPER vague BTW). When I was helping him with his app, I had NO REASON to think he needed to add more.

Ah, we just copied this concept of feature role characters from the pretty popular "Realm of Ice and Fire" GoT sim, I had no idea it would come across as confusing. It's the first time we ran into this issue with someone not adding their own history and background to the feature role. Maybe for notable characters we can add an extra warning to explains they need to make the background their own (while avoiding contradictions with the pre-written short summary on the feature roles page).

Let me also clarify that for feature roles we would like to see a lot of commitment and dedication in the application. For more casual characters we aren't as picky, basically the more casual a character is (kettle-girl, tavern-girl, low caste commoner, etc) we'd expect much less detail and are more willing to accept short and vague apps.

2. I think it's unreasonable to expect people to make an avatar and costume them like these characters before you approve them playing them.

I do not think it's unreasonable myself, not for feature role at least, who require people who are dedicated and committed to pushing some of the biggest storylines. The Envoy of Cos, in this case, might be the main character leading a war against Illyros (depending on how the RP goes) and be a prime first candidate to take over the throne and rule of the Isle, through war and conquest he might be at the root cause of the rape and death of multiple characters.

That said, I've no clue how the conversation between him and the admin in question went though, but we'll look into it, and we'll make some adjustments to make what we expect of people applying for feature roles more clear.

The admin team and Illyros are still on holidays until ~3 January or so, after that we expect to get the sim hopping with stories and activity again. Most of our playerbase are older people, I think, so a lot of people who are visiting family etc. (same for the admins).
FeorieFrimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:15 am

Anarch Allegiere wrote:
FeorieFrimon wrote:
2. I think it's unreasonable to expect people to make an avatar and costume them like these characters before you approve them playing them.

I do not think it's unreasonable myself, not for feature role at least, who require people who are dedicated and committed to pushing some of the biggest storylines. The Envoy of Cos, in this case, might be the main character leading a war against Illyros (depending on how the RP goes) and be a prime first candidate to take over the throne and rule of the Isle, through war and conquest he might be at the root cause of the rape and death of multiple characters.

I'm not saying he's not important. He obviously is. You just might want to add a bit about DEMOs being okay for the picture or something, and consider that when you are looking at the submitted pic. I had it easy cause I was playing a slave...so I just sent a naked picture. But if I had to commit to spending $1000L or more on a new costume? Before I even knew if you'd say yes? I don't know I would have done it...but that's just me.

Anarch Allegiere wrote:The admin team and Illyros are still on holidays until ~3 January or so, after that we expect to get the sim hopping with stories and activity again. Most of our playerbase are older people, I think, so a lot of people who are visiting family etc. (same for the admins).

I didn't see anything on the forums about a break with the Mods? I don't remember seeing a group notice either. Had I known I would have told him to wait before submitting. You might want to post something there so people know.

Anarch Allegiere wrote:That said, I've no clue how the conversation between him and the admin in question went though, but we'll look into it, and we'll make some adjustments to make what we expect of people applying for feature roles more clear.

Sure, and it would be bad form to pass notecards around. But it wasn't pleasant and it certainly wasn't friendly or helpful. The end result was him removing his app, the two players that play slaves with him deciding not to submit theirs, and my removing myself from the groups.

Either way, no hard feelings, and good luck in your hunt.
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:35 am

FeorieFrimon wrote:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:
FeorieFrimon wrote:

I'm not saying he's not important. He obviously is. You just might want to add a bit about DEMOs being okay for the picture or something, and consider that when you are looking at the submitted pic. I had it easy cause I was playing a slave...so I just sent a naked picture. But if I had to commit to spending $1000L or more on a new costume? Before I even knew if you'd say yes? I don't know I would have done it...but that's just me.

First impressions are pretty important, and the responsibility for having an application approved lies for a big part with the person applying. When I see a picture of a dude in a cowboy hat, combat pants and a naked upper body, my first impression is "GE dude". It's a bad first impression to give a community whose main goal is to give an authentic environment focused on storylines and writing.

I'm saying this because I had nearly declined the application on the spot right there because of the outfit (and I rarely do that with any applications).

Anarch Allegiere wrote:The admin team and Illyros are still on holidays until ~3 January or so, after that we expect to get the sim hopping with stories and activity again. Most of our playerbase are older people, I think, so a lot of people who are visiting family etc. (same for the admins).

I didn't see anything on the forums about a break with the Mods? I don't remember seeing a group notice either. Had I known I would have told him to wait before submitting. You might want to post something there so people know.

http://counterearth.enjin.com/home/m/41 ... le/4073894

We sent a similar group notice.

We're not officially 'closed' though, we don't want to tell people they can't RP in the meantime. But we did stop advertising in the meantime or trying to recruit. (since the admins just aren't there right now) We do reply to applications during this time though, just a bit more slowly.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:21 am

FeorieFrimon wrote:I'm not saying he's not important. He obviously is. You just might want to add a bit about DEMOs being okay for the picture or something, and consider that when you are looking at the submitted pic. I had it easy cause I was playing a slave...so I just sent a naked picture. But if I had to commit to spending $1000L or more on a new costume? Before I even knew if you'd say yes? I don't know I would have done it...but that's just me.

Thanks, Feorie.

The intent of the pic is to throw up any glaring issues, particularly since we've had some people from other genres applying who don't know that things like sheer veils on free women and dancing silks on pot girls etc. can throw up issues IC. We obviously haven't made that intent (nor the fact that demos are fine for that purpose) clear enough. We'll fix that.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:57 am

FeorieFrimon wrote:I had it easy cause I was playing a slave...so I just sent a naked picture.

Sliding a naked pic with your app? I see how this is going...

Yasum and Remarkable Oblivion have piratey headgear, if that's something you'll need.
FeorieFrimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:55 am

I hate to keep dragging it on, but like I said before, a picture was snapped of a pirate-y looking guy BECAUSE no outfit had been purchased BECAUSE he wasn't approved to play him. I get that we disagree on this one..you think he should have had an outfit and been ready to go regardless of approval; I don't.

But, dude, but that's not true at all. Don't post here that he's wearing combat pants, combat boots, and rolled up like a surfer with a 'bare chest' and a cowboy hat. The picture you painted is not the picture that was presented...but maybe that's my costumer coming out.

Pants:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/JO ... -F/5397065
https://gyazo.com/67acba3920d96d3c8060c033added5ec

He wasn't wearing a shirt, but he had two swords strapped across his back.
https://gyazo.com/91468e81831c9d44b43fba576d693855

He did have a hat, it's true, but it wasn't a cowboy hat. It's just....a hat. I'm showing my origin on this one, but US Southerners would be rollin' over in their graves....

The hat he's wearing: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/PF ... ap/6003929

The hat was suppose to be like the chick on the bottom, which it kind of is: (You gotta work with what you got in SL)
https://gyazo.com/052f3c0b5b0c5f515ccd0a75c4b92f5f
Or maybe this: http://www.thevikingstore.co.uk/costume ... 5704-p.asp

But For reference....Cowboy Hats:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Ro ... at/4463592
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/AR ... es/6243798
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Co ... io/5922210

He's not wearing combat boots. They have a lip. And buttons.
https://gyazo.com/ec4c5e1f2f227fdf86e91cbd83169813
https://gyazo.com/be47219721bfdd329c0fe60c04defa97

Even from far away they have a lip....
https://gyazo.com/91c70bd89edca1ce12204d6313ff2dcf

Maybe it was hard to tell from the one picture? You only get to send one with the app.

Return to “Isle of Illyros”