Isle of Illyros - Opening Soon

Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Isle of Illyros - Opening Soon

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Presenting the expanded lore: http://counterearth.enjin.com/lore

ETA for opening is two weeks.

Build looks amazing so far, but still being worked on.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:13 am

Why would a visitor be bothered to fill out an app just to have a look at the sim?
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:34 am

DarbyDollinger wrote:Why would a visitor be bothered to fill out an app just to have a look at the sim?

Anyone can have a look at the sim once the build is done.

There will be observer tags.

But to be allowed to role play on the sim your application must have been approved.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:44 am

Personally, I see nothing wrong with the principle of filling an application when you want to play in a sim. It's a concept which is commonly applied in other SL RP environments, no one complains.

SL Gor is really weird... When sims have an application, it's usually a list of questions which will tell nothing about the character, nor the typist's creativity. Worse, often, the applications are different following you play a slave or a free (and slave players are mostly required IC informations and crap paperwork like slave papers, exam papers etc). When no application, you may be required to RP mandatory non sense scenes.

SL Gor is too, for what I know, the only RP environment in SL where players are so reluctant to use NPCs in order to enhance the realism of a scene. Even, some sims have a no NPC rule! And most people are even unable to emote a realistic surround. How many times, when you set a foot in a city described as big in the books, do you meet some fellows who introduce themselve in saying "I am -the- baker of..." or "I am -the- blacksmith of..." As if these people were unable to realize that in such a big city, your character can only be one of the many bakers, blacksmiths etc, of his/her city, the others being just, NPCs....

So, I think that Isle of Illyros will be different, with people playing a plausible character (not the usual weirdo who has changed caste more once by the past and swore loyalty to a new home stone every time the typist joined a new sim), with a better understanding of the role play etiquette and able to emote a realistic environment with the use of NPCs.

I think it's worth the application step. (and I saw the mesh build, currently in construction, it's really promising)
DarbyDollinger

Postby DarbyDollinger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:15 am

The most useful thing about an app, I think, is a requirement to show a sample of your roleplay. The sim doesn't have to even be particularly strict about their standards when they're assessing it. Just asking applicants to provide the sample will scare off most of the one-liner RPers.
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:35 am

DarbyDollinger wrote:The most useful thing about an app, I think, is a requirement to show a sample of your roleplay. The sim doesn't have to even be particularly strict about their standards when they're assessing it. Just asking applicants to provide the sample will scare off most of the one-liner RPers.

It's about far more than just one-line RPers. (Not even sure those would be much of an issue). It's about making sure people's backgrounds and character descriptions aren't over the top and a Mary Sue. It's about keeping elements away from role play which we don't want to have present, say for example cannibalism.

You'd be surprised at the extreme things we need to remark on from people's applications sometimes. I suspect that GE Gor is responsible for some of that weird gore and torture which doesn't have much place in the setting, unless it's a gore-filled battle scene. Or the men who are impeccably perfect at everything without any notable weaknesses or flaws.

At least our application helps us pick those out and make suggestions on how they should improve upon their character background.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:52 am

Yes, what Anarch said.

A sample of RP doesn't tell much about a character... About the backstory. You can be a very good writer but your character could be a non sense in the context of the Gorean culture. And a RP sample could not reveal this aspect.

A detailed backstory will speak volumes about your creativity aas well as your understanding of the cultural environment in which you want to play your character.
DarbyDollinger

Postby DarbyDollinger » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:31 am

Personally I've seen a lot of promising sims die because the good roleplayers get bored of all the limited, dull roleplayers and disappear. If you have an app that stresses the importance of good roleplay then the limited RPers will be discouraged. Whereas more committed RPers will see the app as a sign that the sim has standards.
Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:52 am

DarbyDollinger wrote:Personally I've seen a lot of promising sims die because the good roleplayers get bored of all the limited, dull roleplayers and disappear. If you have an app that stresses the importance of good roleplay then the limited RPers will be discouraged. Whereas more committed RPers will see the app as a sign that the sim has standards.

People might not grasp how different it's supposed to be from SL Gor yet, but the sim rules and organisation will emphasize stories happening, and it being far from a 'safe' place, despite it's lack of combat meters.

I fully expect people to oppose some of our sim rules or how we deal with allowing people to come RP, but once they've seen how it works, I'm certain they'll be impressed and find a renewed love for the genre.

That said, we're still recruiting for our story moderator team too.
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:51 am

DarbyDollinger wrote:Why would a visitor be bothered to fill out an app just to have a look at the sim?

To add to what Anarch said: in the context of RP at Illyros, a "visitor" is a character within the world who's visiting Illyros from elsewhere within the world - and that world is /all/ unique to the sim. It won't matter, for example, if there is a war between two sims in SL calling themselves "Ar" and "Treve" - Ar and Treve in Illyros' "world" will be unaffected. If the story team decide that a distant war between Ar and Treve would be useful in terms of enabling certain storylines within Illyros, then they'll be introduced.

For that reason, a player's character within Illyros should be unique to the sim, in the same way you wouldn't go to a GoT sim expecting to play the exact same character as you play in your usual Gor sim.

OOC observers are a different story, and as far as I know a tag will be available.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix

Return to “Isle of Illyros”