:: Port of Hesius ::

The Ost
SL Name: Ost Clawtooth
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: unlucky bastard

Re: :: Port of Hesius ::

Postby The Ost » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:58 am

If they have the time to eject and ban GOOD roleplayers from the ooc landing zone for not being in IC Gorean avatars, they have the time to make sure people aren't wandering around looking like captain frickin' hook.

Just Sayin'.
The Ost abides.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:32 pm

I wll add to this that we played with one of the "Out There" people last night and they were fantastic and fun. So I guess whatever.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:05 pm

The Ost wrote:If they have the time to eject and ban GOOD roleplayers from the ooc landing zone for not being in IC Gorean avatars, they have the time to make sure people aren't wandering around looking like captain frickin' hook.

Just Sayin'.

You mad Bro? LOL

Well I don't know the situation in full so all I have to go on is my personal experiences in Gor and the particular OOC landing point you speak of. Let me start out by saying that nothing about that landing point is OOC to me at all, unfortunately. You are literally dropped down in front of the entrance to the City - no boat, nothing. In fact behind the landing point is another area where one could be actively rping. I made the mistake myself and teleported in like a hot mess with demo hair and skin (been away from SL for almost a year and was a bit slow to update my avi, lol) and dress and heels. I was more curious to see who was milling about (using the lovely firestorm radar from a safe distance) than having the desire yet to explore the sim. Lo and Behold, I am not in the usual OOC skybox that I am used too but instead a very much IC landing point. So what did I do? I got the hell out of there immediately. I know how it is in Gorean sims, some are quick to boot ya out there without a word or an IM. Probably due to the plethora of greifers they have had in the past. Am I going to be able to change this pattern of behavior? Probably not, so I just do want I do best - bolt and make sure I avoid a confrontation!

I am not sure what the rpers situation was, if this person is new to Gor then I will give them a free pass for being ignorant of Gorean admin behaviors. But if they are not new to Gor and they showed up on an on sim landing point that is very obviously not OOC then its on them to GTFO! Don't get me wrong, I do not agree with immediate ejection of players for being in the wrong outfit but...this is just the way it is folks.

I think a good solution would be to least rez a little box way up in the sky so things like this don't happen again. Nothing fancy, just a box with a teleporter would do the trick.

Look I am sure you are justified in your annoyance 100% and I am not trying to minimize your feelings. But after being in SL for what almost 9 years now I have learned that confrontation over silly things like being bounced from a sim never turns out well for anyone. It's the one spot where they are King or Queen of their little pretendy fun times Realm!! If anything I would laugh over it particularly if I was bounced in full demo hair and skin, heels and a dress and would probably take a photo of me flying through the air. But that's just me. I can't take shit like that too seriously.

*Psst long before I joined Gor I was probably one of those griefers....just sayin :)
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
The Ost
SL Name: Ost Clawtooth
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: unlucky bastard

Postby The Ost » Mon Oct 19, 2015 12:45 am

Oh she just wanted to read the rules and think about what character to make. Like she said, it told her all she needed to know getting banned so it's really moot, just unfortunate. 8-)

I'm mostly annoyed because I sang praises then looked like an idiot. I'm just vain like that.
The Ost abides.
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:55 pm

The Ost wrote:Oh she just wanted to read the rules and think about what character to make. Like she said, it told her all she needed to know getting banned so it's really moot, just unfortunate. 8-)

I'm mostly annoyed because I sang praises then looked like an idiot. I'm just vain like that.

You don't look like an idiot at all - opinions about a place can change in a heartbeat. It's just a shame that this happened because you seemed to be having fun.

The thing I find about Second Life is when it comes to conflict both sides tend believe they are in the "right" and are unwilling to compromise. They dig their heels in the dirt and refuse to budge and admit how their actions contributed to the problem. There are no shades of grey. Then again this is just my outsiders view from one who has not been in SL for a while. AND I really don't know much about your friends situation in detail.

This is how I see it - The sim owner should have IM'd your friend first, it's common courtesy. But due to the norms of SL behavior, common courtesy should not be expected in Second Life LOL and sadly your friend has learned this the hard way. Conversely the friend should have probably left when he or she saw that there was nothing OOC about the landing point and maybe have let the booting roll off his or her back (along with taking some humorous photos along the way lol). I am dying to know what the friend was wearing!!!

Bottom line for me...Hesius needs a true OOC landing point far away from role play areas to give people the opportunity to get their bearing, lurk on their radar to see who is there or read the rules of the sim.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Melisande
SL Name: Melisande
Caste: Warrior
Role: Ubara
Home Stone: Ar

Postby Melisande » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:26 pm

I find this thread interesting for obvious reasons, but also due to the fact that, most everything else, the whole story of what is going on here isn't fully understood.

Avatars are not regularly point blank ejected from the Port of Hesius for not being in a Gorean avatar. Avatars are sometimes point blank ejected from the sim for being in a pre-pubescent avatar, for standing there for a very long time after they've been spoken to with no response in a non-Gorean avatar, or wandering around the sim in a non-Gorean avatar, or for other rule-breaking reasons - female outlaws and such. Even then, if time permits and we don't have some constraints, we will try to message the person and resolve things before just ejecting. We would like to do this perfectly every time, but on the unfortunate arrival of Ost's particular friend, we had had numerous difficult, troubling violations of this by several other folks of malicious intent who were actually griefing during this same time period. It was survival mode at that point, over 70 on the sim on a weekend, and you have to understand the situation here.

No, we are not perfect. We're just doing our best.

We do not have a TP in the skybox for reasons that are important to us, and they're outlined in the blog article Simplicity on the website. The ease of which it is to just get into role-play from the landing point is one of the reasons why we feel the sim is a success so far. There are some issues with it of course - some folks who are faeries, trolls, fair maids, Star Trek players, and vampires and such... sometimes if they wait around too long, or are caught in a disruptive moment on sim, might find themselves ejected. We have one short - very short - rules notecard. Eight rules. And the rules themselves are so simple, nearly once short sentence. It does not take long to read. There are two boards to click. That's all. One for rules. The other is a TP to take you to the OOC auction. It's extremely easy to figure out what's going on when you land.

If the folks are really very good role-players, fantastic role-players, from other genres who are wanting to play, I would anticipate they'd be very keen on the fact that there is role-play going in on in very close proximity to the landing point, and at least TP out with the rules card, or perhaps if you one of you are inviting a particularly seasoned roleplayer who you're excited to come to the sim and check it out, you might could pass them the rules card with an idea of what a Gorean role-play avatar should look like. If they just want to see what the sim looks like, we have an amazing flickr, and our website gives some wonderful details to help. The decision stands, though, to restrict the sim to Gorean adult avatars.

I did apologize to the person in question and tried to explain the situation to the person in question, and also to you, Ost, and I was afk when you messaged me with your incredulity at what you felt was our lack of an OOC landing, Elle. I love you both, very much, have always enjoyed your role-play and company, and certainly do not want to offend any of your friends. And we really appreciate the feedback! We really do not want to upset if it's possible. But we've chosen here to try a few different things on how to do the landing point. On how to handle our rules. We have an OOC Council here that helps make these decisions, and while I admit I enjoy the thought of being a Queen and ruling over my kingdom lands and such... OOC, that's really not what's going on here. I've personally taken several moderations to our council for an independent review when questioned. And now, I'm taking the time to value your concerns, and listen. I'm sorry if it's one of those "agree to disagree" type of things. But it just might be.
Esse quam videri - To be rather than appear to be.
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:57 pm

/me bows the Queen :P

I say that in good humor so please don't take offense. Unfortunately my penchant for humorous writing doesn't always come across as such.

Honestly I get what you are saying about ejecting people. Before I even had a minuscule of desire to RP in Gor I used to manage and run electronic clubs. I too used the good ole eject button on numerous occasions to get people to "act right" (Kind of like a time out for five year olds). If they came back and straightened up they were more than welcome to stay. UNFORTUNATELY, some people take this way too personally, particularly in RP sims.

Will the immediate eject keep me from playing at a sim. No, because like I said earlier this is the way it is in Gor more often than not and I understand why - sometimes you got eject first then ask questions later to avoid a greifer doing what they do best. Because of this I adjust MY behavior instead of trying make all the Gorean sim owners see things the way I see it.

Oddly enough Mel I had no clue about this situation when I Im'd you. I sent you the message because I thought I happened to port into a pirate sim by mistake the other day, LOL(joke, joke joke). Now, I don't know Ost's friend so I am not targeted this person when I say this: People are dumb. They will stand in an ICish TP area looking like dumbass in their centaur outfit or devil girl outfit or superhero outfit or whatever their choice of look that day before deciding "oh this is an RP sim...perhaps it is not such a good idea for me to be here looking like a centaur." Hence the reason for my IM Mel.

I think my whole point of comment really was more towards Ost's friend...relax have a glass of wine and wipe off your butthurt, get back to the sim and just rp. All that you can control is your behavior. Nobody dies or is hurt if you are ejected from a sim. If anything make a list of how many times you get ejected and laugh about it with your friends. Hell that's what I used to do.

TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:34 pm

I may have to wear my solar system avatar the next time I come in.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:18 pm

@Treat I double dog dare you!

Sabina Takakura
SL Name: WAT.
Caste: Hobo
Role: Zombie Killer
Home Stone: My cat.
Owner: Reddit.

Postby Sabina Takakura » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:05 pm

I finally got a chance to look at it, so I thought I'd throw in my two cents. I came with friends, so their opinions are going to be speckled in here, too.

The Build:
I wasn't overly impressed. Great that's it's mostly mesh, but it's prefab, and laid out in a way that doesn't quite make sense. There doesn't seem to be forethought to where things should be to promote more RP. The tavern for instance, is that big gothic church thing (In fact, the main comment I heard was that it doesn't look like a gorean city at all, but a weird fantasy medieval english village), but it's tucked to the side and with no real opening, it's not an inviting place. I don't quite get the logic behind it, but maybe I'm missing the point.

The RP:
Also... not impressed. Every single person we posted at with the exception of one, responded in thought-emotes, or just didn't respond at all. We ran the gambit of people to play with as far as roles, but our RP in general, was ignored.
What posts we did see, weren't great either. It was primarily one lines, just speech, no thought behind the posts or story. Without a story, there was nothing to keep me there.

I get the impression this is a lifestyler sim. That's great! That's great for those who want that, and I'm happy they have a home, but... it's not a place I see myself in. I'm a roleplayer. I need a story, and a setting that fits.

Wish everyone who is there the best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your time!

Tess in the Tavern, though? Kudos to you for playing along :lol:

Return to “Port of Hesius”