New Mesh Head- Project Bento enabled

A place to discuss what works best, looks best, and loads best when it comes to the world of Bodies and Clothing.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: New Mesh Head- Project Bento enabled

Postby Tantus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:30 am

https://youtu.be/bpGUKowqim8

Another Bento release from Fateplay, with his 'Animated Wings'. These are really too thin and look like flexi wings from before. But they are 'templates', simple 2D wings to be easily textured.

And Aeros' Bento Balls are for real! I should be appalled the first Bento update to my avatar was a set of bouncing testicles. But we all have to move with the times.

It's more humour and hype than actual function, the real issue I have is even whilst standing or seated, they keep on swinging. So to arm yourself with an Aeros now, takes three HUDs and three attachments for controlling everything.

Are Bento Balls a game changer? I've yet to test them in a live environment, but I'd say they're a vanity project for now. At their lower setting, it's a subtle, almost imperceptible swing which your target may never notice. But for anyone who's into the small details, I would recommend the update.
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:01 am

Yeah, those wings are bit too floppy. The Traum wings have better looking movement, I think.
Would be nice for a mermaid tail though. I still use my old flexi one as the mesh ones look too stiff.

Gratz on the bento boys. Swing with the times! :lol:
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Brigid
SL Name: Brigid Alenquer
Home Stone: Skerry of Heilagr

Postby Brigid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:03 am

Bento balls swinging in the breeze.

It is like a train wreck you have put it out there now I must look. The finer details just became a lot more interesting.. maybe.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:54 pm

Oor wrote:Looks like Catwa's bento for dudes will be out soon.

ImageDaniel Bento Head [Soon] by Catwa Clip, on Flickr

Argh. LOL Why do they all look like Bandersnatch Cumberbund??? I mean, I loved his acting, he rocked in Dr. Strange, but criminy- his face is odd. Sure can act, though!

"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Postby Oor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:05 pm

I totally do not get Cumberbatch's appeal. Love him as an actor but... yeah. No.

Don't tell him though, I'm sure he'll be devastated.

Catwa released another pic though, and it looks MUCH better. I might be biased because I love L'etre's dude skins.

ImageDaniel Bento Head [Soon] by Catwa Clip, on Flickr
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:15 pm

Hmm not entirely convinced. The mesh head front shot adds always look amazing. But as soon as you tilt them a bit so you can see the side view I have only seen a very few that looked even natural. This is especially an issue with female heads as far as I have observed but I guess this Catwa mens head suffer from the same issue to some extend.

That said though, that first pic don't look completely unnatural from the somewhat side view, just different. And I kinda applaud that when SL designers go for different instead of always going for the polished super pretty handsome.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Oor

Postby Oor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:05 pm

I think with Bento it becomes much like the system head. You can make it look natural... or you can make it look very unnatural. With the standard mesh head though, yeah. Oor currently has a perma selfie-fishface from the side!
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Manon Seid

Postby Manon Seid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:05 pm

Yes you might be right Oor, that with Bento we should be able to correct or kill the proportions completely as we like. Though in practice that's not entirely my experience so far. But granted I haven't tried the bigger brands.

I got the Altamura Bento head cheap just before Bento came out. It can be made into a super adorable shape in my opinion but it required some adjustments to the mouth position and chin. Unfortunately the teeth are rigged and impossible to detach separately. They are not rigged like the mouth though so moving the mouth up and down wont move the teeth with it, giving the head a rather awkward smile. Fixed by attaching my old Logo Alex teeth that are not rigged. So now my avi has two rows of fangs like a freeking sleen when she wears that head. As long as I only have an animation that will give a tiny smile only just getting a glimpse of teeth it's ok. Full on grinning wont be an option with that head as it is now though.

Also got the Eve Bento head which was actually a free update to the previous head if you had that already. So yay! The head can be ok with the right skin though it has some strange issues with proportions especially around the chin and to some extend around the nose too that sadly can't really be fixed with the sliders, but it can be somewhat masked with the right shading on a skin. The teeth on the Eve head are not rigged, so their position can be adjusted but they are no mod and very tiny so stretching and fitting those to a slightly wider mouth is impossible.

So although they are not ideal I do like my two first Bento heads so far. At least till I see better new releases that wont cost me my firstborn son and my soul. Or till I get myself kicked in gear to finish the head I made myself ...some time when I get the trees done...and the dress...and the sim rebuild and....pft :D
Oor

Postby Oor » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:37 pm

I always sort of found that with the system head as well though - depending on the skin, there was always a slider range where it looked "right" and going beyond it made it look off. It makes sense that that limitation would exist with Bento as well, given that it's the same bones (ish) in play, but I do think the smoother morphing of mesh makes it a bit easier to work with than the system head. Makes the ranges where sliders look "okay" a bit wider, maybe.

This is where I'm at "fiddling" with the sliders for Catwa's Bento head to try and make a (salty) Dornish-looking character (not for anything - just fiddling!). The profile is still off in the lips department, IMO, and I'm not sure how much better it can get without affecting the head-on look.

► Show Spoiler

Flix
Manon Seid

Postby Manon Seid » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:45 pm

Wops I was not being fair to the Eve head there. There IS actually a way to edit the size of the teeth and when that is done they will fit nicely to wider mouths. Sorry about that. A new update came to the head as I was preparing for this post so there's definitely some developing going on there. The pic here is of the slightly older version from a few days back.

So this is the result of a LOT of fiddling with the Eve Bento mesh head. I am not entirely happy about it but for now it will do for Manon. The Altamura Bento mesh head is on the Celestine builder alt. I am too lazy to log her in today so a pic of that some other day.

Not entirely sure if this is working but here goes:

► Show Spoiler

Bah it don't work. How do I share a pic from Flickr?

Edit: Wooot thanks Oor - now it works :)
Last edited by Manon Seid on Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Body Shop”