Alpha/Mesh and Male Avatars

A place to discuss what works best, looks best, and loads best when it comes to the world of Bodies and Clothing.
Adlai
SL Name: adlai.rae

Alpha/Mesh and Male Avatars

Postby Adlai » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:49 pm

Hello!

I'm jumping back into SL for a creative writing outlet. Last time I was here (2+ years ago), alpha had just emerged. We saw some alpha in buildings and furniture, clothes started coming out, and the best part about mesh hair was that it wasn't filleting boobies and necks anymore.

Now there's mesh BODIES! And more clothes!! And appliers? And heads?!? And what else? :clap: :egrin: :!:

Short of saying to someone "please dress me," I'm a little lost. Are any skins pre-mesh considered obsolete? And with the GM meter or other script heavy items, are players using mesh heads/bodies/appliers(?) with the GM meter?
"The difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make sense." Tom Clancy
Theoden
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Re: Alpha/Mesh and Male Avatars

Postby Theoden » Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:40 am

Adlai wrote:Hello!

I'm jumping back into SL for a creative writing outlet. Last time I was here (2+ years ago), alpha had just emerged. We saw some alpha in buildings and furniture, clothes started coming out, and the best part about mesh hair was that it wasn't filleting boobies and necks anymore.

Now there's mesh BODIES! And more clothes!! And appliers? And heads?!? And what else? :clap: :egrin: :!:

Short of saying to someone "please dress me," I'm a little lost. Are any skins pre-mesh considered obsolete? And with the GM meter or other script heavy items, are players using mesh heads/bodies/appliers(?) with the GM meter?

Welcome back!

Some people have mesh heads and bodies, some opt to only have mesh bodies and keep a default SL head.

People still buy skins for default avatars if they are not utilizing a mesh head. So the skin still shows on the face, despite the skin not being able to be shown if you have a mesh body. There would be a default mesh body skin that the mesh body should blend the neck area to match the two, if you get a proper mesh body.

If you're going to be showing off a lot of your body, it's good to get a mesh body. If you're going to be mostly clothed like a fw or certain male outfits, then you don't technically need a mesh body. Some male outfits show off a lot of torso, some do not.

People use GM meters with mesh bodies and mesh heads and appliers. If anything, it causes less lag due to less scripts.

Though, this might be debatable in the scripts vs script memory vs 'Complexity' vs rendering lag debate. But people don't care anyway. They will wear what they want and do GM combat in it, and that's fine.

Return to “The Body Shop”