Mesh body = stitched together huh?

A place to discuss what works best, looks best, and loads best when it comes to the world of Bodies and Clothing.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Mesh body = stitched together huh?

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Okay, so maybe it is just my computer, but mesh bodies to me look horrible. They have all of these lines that divide up the parts so they look like they are stitched together like dolls. Is that how it is supposed to look? The shadows don't seem to work with them either. Half the time they look like they are wearing panty hose to me. I just don't get it. Am I missing something?
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Re: Mesh body = stitched together huh?

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Could be a couple of things, I think?

Could be your lighting setting. I know there are some lighting settings that seem to emphasis different "parts's" seams, and can even reflect differently off different parts. I know that was a big problem with scuptie parts, back when that was a thing and I had these supercool nifty scultpie feet that I could NEVER MATCH UP TO MY SKIN TONE NO MATTER WHAT.

Or, could be some folks just know how, or go to the trouble of matching up the seams. There's things you can do- like make sure your "part" is made to go with your other parts, reading the NC that came with your part to make sure you have your settings right for it (fat sliders affect things quite a bit, like mesh bod matching up with system head, etc.), and going through the necessary adjustments/tweaks to make sure it looks like it's supposed to.

If you've got an updated viewer/graphic drivers, a decent lighting setting, and your viewer's graphics set to the right thingies, AND have your mesh parts all matched well- it should look pretty seamless and all matchy. Appliers are best for getting the skin tone all matched up best, but you have to have appliers for all the parts.

I just got a mesh head. I few of them, actually. Dunno if I'll like 'em or not but they sure do look pretty in the blogger's pics I've been perusing, so gonna give it a try. Not sure how hard it is to match up the heads, since I've haven't worn any of the new ones yet.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:09 pm

It must be your computer, Ceri. I wear mesh bodies, and it's a real improvement, I have no visible line. You can see these lines when they are rezzing, sometimes, if lag. Else, no issue. I am personally not capable to wear again the classic LL avatar.
My favorites are TMP (once you managed to understand their system, it becomes easy to use), Lelutka and Belleza.

Here some of the reasons which made me definitely adopt the mesh modies:

As you can see, no more angular, badly cut curves. Ah, and whatever the light settings, still, no line.
Sabina Takakura
SL Name: WAT.
Caste: Hobo
Role: Zombie Killer
Home Stone: My cat.
Owner: Reddit.

Postby Sabina Takakura » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:45 pm

It's your settings or your computer. Just about everyone has a mesh body these days, and for good reason. The good ones are reasonably low loading times as well.
The seams you see are the seams of the UV map. Give it time, or up your LoD setting and it should load properly.

Mesh heads however, load terribly slow. That is because they're not just one head or body part, but multiples of them linked together and scripted to create the animations. Personally, all the mesh heads look like BRATZ dolls to me. Most people don't wear them except for a select few die-hard fans. Same with Loudmouth. It never loads correctly and just looks terrible. I've got a pretty good system, too, so I can only imagine how terrible it must look for people who don't.
Bodies though? Just about everyone has one, even the men.

Although this does make me think maybe it's time for an updated makeover thread for men and women?
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:54 pm

A new makeover thread would be nice. Do you need a mesh body if your a free? I would think all of the clothing would cover it all anyway.
Sabina Takakura

Postby Sabina Takakura » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:59 pm

I would say so! The thing about mesh and mesh bodies is that textures appear better on them. So even if you're wearing an outfit with an undershirt applier, it'll be crisper and more defined. If you're covered head to toe with gloves and shoes though? Probably not. You can certainly take it off.

Sasi brought up a good point too, even if you're wearing an applier (think of it as an updated clothing layer) it'll show better curves and avatar shape, particularly at the elbows, ankles, and neck. No more broken looking bodies!
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:03 pm

I may have to look a bit more into this. LOL though it scares the crap out of me.
Sabina Takakura

Postby Sabina Takakura » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:14 pm

We'll hold your hand!

Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:23 pm

I am about to release a new lines of robes of concealment (rigged mesh), which of course, will conceal the woman from head to toes. But still, as I will release it with gloves, stockings and even a layer modesty shirt to wear under the mesh, I added the appliers (TMP, Maitreya, SLink and Omega).

Because nothing forbid you to wear your mesh clothing with your mesh body, finally (just, fix the alphas).

Even if of course, under such gown, mesh body or classic avatar, it definitely doesn't matter :mrgreen:

But even a FW undresses, take baths, or... happens to be captured and her clothing removed...! Look at your best even in these sad situations!

Else, I am seriously considering buying a mesh head since most skin designers release appliers which allow you to personalize your face. And depending the appliers, you can make a really pretty face.

It's not that I really mind for a mesh head, but they look better with most light settings, of those which usually ruin the prettiest skins with ugly shadows. Of course I use a good light setting, but on some sims, you are pressured to set their own lights and you have to choose between increasing the visual aspect of the sim and so, other avatars, especially women look ugly. Or you and them will look pretty but in a less beautiful environment (like Cartius, if you don't take their lights, their water looks weird...)

I suggest you start with Belleza or Maitreya bodies, Ceri, they are simple to use, and Omega compatible. I love TMP, but some issues (the arm rig glitch) and their particular system will make me change body if their next update didn't correct them...

Return to “The Body Shop”