Mesh The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. - A Review.

For reviews of Merchandise. Clothing, Furniture, Houses, etc.
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Re: Mesh The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. - A Review.

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Erik wrote:This is why this entire thread is funny (in a good way) - Ceri: good that you experimented and found mesh to be utter shit for clothing. As an experienced 3D modeler for a few decades I could have told you that. But it always would have nagged you, calling to you like a siren on the rocks.

I also have to say I am not liking it for hair either. I bought the lelutka mesh hair and liked for say maybe 15 minutes. Then I started focusing on the back of the hair and I was like "Wow, the back of the hair looks like my bad attempt to modify my system hair back in Jan of 07!"
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:53 pm

The mesh-hair looks pretty identical to the hair in most other games, like WoW.
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:54 pm

Draco wrote:The mesh-hair looks pretty identical to the hair in most other games, like WoW.

Yes exactly that. I have started to play WoW and boy, that's some fugly hair!
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Depends. I freaking adore Slink's thigh high boots. The Curious Kitties freebie gowns I wasn't crazy about. But the freebie Storm Trooper, and Skeleton av's are fun, and Dirty Lynx's little avatars are great. Harlequin just got Deco's military pants/boot set and I can vouch for it looking yummy on him. I got Deco's combat boots and I love them as well. So...like everything in SL, it's hit or miss. But overall, I'm embracing the mesh whole heartedly, though I just see it as a welcome new medium for SL content creators, not a replacement for what we already have.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:39 am

It really depends on what you get that is mesh.

My boots from mon tissu are awesome, I love love love them. Mesh-shoes in general are often pretty damned good, got the ones from DECO as well.

My skirt from JANE annoys me. The poncho from Jane however is nice again.

The hair from LeLutka? I like it from the front and sides, but yeah..looking at your back makes it look...like a big blog somehow. However, I have seen some decent hair from Wasabi Pills, unfortunately though their headshape does not fit mine.

Some decoration stuff made of mesh looks pretty damned neat. I love how Skerry of Einar looks.

The centaur avi that Ceri hated? I loved it. It's for pics and it's really wellmade imho.

I freaking love my mesh pants from beetlebones.

However? I have seen a LOT of crap as well. Mesh does not automatically mean it is better or looks better, quite the other way round. I refuse to buy stuff if I cannot demo it for example (unless it is like...a shirt or something cheap).
Dream Resistance
SL Name: You may call me...Headmistress
Caste: Slytherin
Role: Faculty
Home Stone: Hogwarts
Owner: Fantasia & *FakE*

Postby Dream Resistance » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:58 am

Love Wasabi Pills hair, and I'm definitely liking JANE's outfits. The 'plump' isn't that plump though, so that's disappointing. I'm going to agree with Ceri about the centaur. "Not for extreme poses" doesn't mean "doesn't actually move." And it doesn't. Mesh builds are awesome, but the clothing is pretty disappointing. At least as far as what it could be. I hate that they've forced 'sizing' into SL. My avi isn't 'plump'...she's normal. But now I have to label my virtual persona as 'plump'. Dislike.
"Excuse my rudeness, I can't abide useless people."

"I'd rather rp with kids and newb rpers then asshats."

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Auckland%20Island/96/55/37
http://fantasiacostumes.blogspot.com
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Dream Resistance wrote:Love Wasabi Pills hair, and I'm definitely liking JANE's outfits. The 'plump' isn't that plump though, so that's disappointing. I'm going to agree with Ceri about the centaur. "Not for extreme poses" doesn't mean "doesn't actually move." And it doesn't. Mesh builds are awesome, but the clothing is pretty disappointing. At least as far as what it could be. I hate that they've forced 'sizing' into SL. My avi isn't 'plump'...she's normal. But now I have to label my virtual persona as 'plump'. Dislike.

Walking, aka hands, arms, hips, legs and feet moving, is a very extreme 'pose' imho. Also, there is a demo, so anyone who buys it and then is disappointed that it doesn't act like a real avi when they only (!) paid 300 L is really....well. I don't really feel pity for them. <.< What did you expect to get for 300L? Mesh avatar with nice textures, extra horns and various colours for the hair parts...AND fully animated? That's....greedy.
Elle Couerblanc

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:19 pm

This might make some of us happy. Linden Lab is now working directly with Karl formerly Qarl Linden on the mesh fix to allow us to edit. Max Graf announced it today on plurk:

http://www.plurk.com/p/eo8qa8

He was one of the folks that set up the fundraiser to help pay Karl for his time.

ebediyet
SL Name: ebediyet Matthews
Role: slave

Postby ebediyet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Totally awesome. I'm very excited for mesh to be adjustable, I bought several dressed from Hucci and the gorgeous Beetlebones gown (as well as the hairs from lelutka and wasabi - which I think are pretty nice, if only they had incorporated flexi as well?) and it would be wonderful to be able to adjust said outfits by a small degree so that my character size isn't totally different from how she looks nude. The issue will still remain that since it's a one piece outfit - if you're bottom heavy, but small on the top, you're going to have to adjust the full outfit to fit your rear, so there may always be some considerations to be made. Sucks, but it's life, and I'm still enthused!
"Don't leave me, even for an hour, because
then the little drops of anguish will all run together,
the smoke that roams looking for a home will drift
into me, choking my lost heart. "
Isabella
SL Name: Isabella

Postby Isabella » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:13 pm

I didnt even realise I had bought mesh hair from Lelutka until Anarch asked me why i was wearing blocks on my head :lol:

I think thats a good thing that I didnt notice! I agree a teeny bit more movement would be nice now that Edediyet mentions it.

Return to “Merchandise”