Mesh The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. - A Review.

For reviews of Merchandise. Clothing, Furniture, Houses, etc.
Frevet

Re: Mesh The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. - A Review.

Postby Frevet » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:33 am

The centaur avi has even a HINT on its ad that it is not supposed for crass poses (and therefore obviously not for AOs). It is simply a prop for pics, hence why it is so cheap. And the textures are nice. :P

I hate, hate, hate that you cannot modify mesh (yet). :/ That's really my only big beef with it. I like being creative and I like to mix and match.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:38 am

If a dog vomited up a load of rotting intestines it'd look about the same as the current Skerry build. They've done better builds in the past.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:47 am

I think there is this guy, who used to work for Linden Labs, being one of those that developed sculpts, but who was laid of with the lay-offs some time ago (when they got rid of some of the creatives whilst hiring more managers to have meetings about how SL could be more like face-book) who, apparently unemployed, did a fund-raiser, saying he would try and create modifiable mesh if the fund-target was reached. Which it was. Maybe he will come up with meshes people can mod.
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:30 am

http://www.indiegogo.com/Mesh-Clothing- ... er-Project

Might be this one. Triad Fallen linked it to me and it gives me hope. :)
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:46 am

Yeah, that is it. Might be that a third party can once again supply something that LL can't. Like that other 'essential', bouncing breasts. ;)
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:52 am

DarbyDollinger wrote:If a dog vomited up a load of rotting intestines it'd look about the same as the current Skerry build. They've done better builds in the past.

Whaaaaat? O_o

It looks phenomenal! :fryingpan:
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Elle Couerblanc
SL Name: Elle

Postby Elle Couerblanc » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Glaucon Delphis wrote:Yeah, that is it. Might be that a third party can once again supply something that LL can't. Like that other 'essential', bouncing breasts. ;)

Linden relies on contractors and enthusiasts often to help improve their viewers and environment. I know a couple former contractors that did some pretty significant changes to the viewer in the 2006/07 time frame. I could see the Lab taking his work seriously if he is able to get it to work.
"Old stories are like old friends. You have to visit them from time to time." Bran - A Storm of Swords, pg 315

Visit me at Elle's World http://ellecouerblanc.com/
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:25 am

As much as mesh sounds fantastic, until they make a mesh I can mod, I'm not interested.

I have a pretty unique looking avi, and I really don't want to have to change her shape to fit into clothes.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:46 am

I like mesh. I have a fairly extreme shape, 95% thickness and a long middle, mesh clothes fit pretty well with no shape adjustment.

The dresses and kimonos I've tried have just gone straight on, previously even with the butt slider turned right down any outfit that used the clothing layer skirt would have still looked awful.
Erik
SL Name: Erik Fyanucci
Caste: It's complicated
Role: Laugh-master
Home Stone: Reality
AkA: Ari Blackthorne

Postby Erik » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 pm

The first MISTAKE about mesh many here seem to make when it comes to judging it is with regard to CLOTHING. Mesh is the absolutely worse possible "technology" to use for clothing. it's horrible as mesh demands the highest server resources, over and above sculpties and plain old prims.

If used in clothing, mesh should be an add-on compliment - not the whole fecking outfit.

I see mesh being used and only really useful for organic or "high-prim-cost" fluid or unusual shapes. For example: if I'm building a southern house, should I use mesh for the highly-detailed pillars? Hell no! Prims are less expensive (create in world, only L$10 to upload an optimized texture, counts as only ONE prim and easy on YOUR viewer).

The problem with mesh will be that 99% of all mesh on grid will be unnecessary, where sculpties and prims would do a *better* job.

This is why this entire thread is funny (in a good way) - Ceri: good that you experimented and found mesh to be utter shit for clothing. As an experienced 3D modeler for a few decades I could have told you that. But it always would have nagged you, calling to you like a siren on the rocks.

So it's good you took the plunge to learn for yourself. No the Mesh's Siren song won't be so enchanting to you in the future. :thumbup:

Return to “Merchandise”