Mesh The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. - A Review.

For reviews of Merchandise. Clothing, Furniture, Houses, etc.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Mesh The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. - A Review.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:31 pm

So I finally caved and got a mesh capable viewer. My friend then wanted me to try on a bunch of mesh items to see what I thought, so I got demos for Hair, a dress, and a Centaur avatar.

The Cloths: I tried on a mesh gown.

It had a "heels and No heels version as well as a curvy, non curvy". The first thing I noticed when I put it on was that my skin showed through in different areas because my avas tend to be a bit curvy, which was quickly cleared up when I put on the alpha layer, which basically makes your body go Poof" under the dress.

The none curvy was to flat chested for me to wear, and the curvy was to big busted so that the dress gaped by my breasts. From what I can tell, you can't adjust mush so what it is...is what it is, and you are pretty much SoL if it doesn't fit right.

Also when you walked, it looked a bit like you were floating. My feet seemed to have vanished and it reminded me a tad of Mortisha Adams from the Adams Family cartoons.

Overall I gave this outfit a thumbs down.

I also tried on a Centaur Ava

It was horrid. It didn't walk right, the details were...eh...the textures were eh...it just looked awkward.

I give it a BIG thumbs down.

Lastly I tried on hair.

I was pleasantly surprised. It actually looks rather nice on. While it has no floaty pieces like your normal prim hair, it does move with the body instead of sticking through it. The textures were nice and the thinner pieces added realism. The pic does NOT do this hair justice, it is much nicer on.

I DID however find issues with it. I tried many different ones on, mainly they fall to cover the breasts..but my ava is very flat chested...not like...completely flat but not huge either. When I put it on the hair over the breasts fell quite a few inches away from my actual body. Since you can't adjust it like you can a prim, your only choice is to adjust your actual body shape to meet the hair. Just the opposite is a problem as well. Make your breasts huge and the hair goes through them instead of laying over them.

There was also a small piece by the forehead that was driving me NUTS. I wanted to push it back into my head like I would with a prim but couldn't...cause...well..you can't.

So hair gets a -so so- for me...Some of it is cool. I found a great one from Lelutka. The hair was behind the shoulders so there was no issue there.

Most of it however, I had issues with it fitting my smaller frame.

So, thats my take on mesh. Anyone else have any good or bad experiences?
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Mesh The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. - A Review.

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:40 pm

Einar is one of the first sims in SL Gor that was almost completely built in mesh. (Except for most of the giant trees.)

Good: Probably the most detailed best themed gorean sim build ever. Considering the theme of Einar is supposed to be a Torvie-outcast society and the dark muddy swamp theme is very well present in the build it's probably the best gorean sim builds I've seen so far.

The bad & ugly: It requires a mesh viewer. And mesh viewers require considerably better video cards and much higher RAM to run as smoothly as the non-mesh viewers. My FPS was already considerably low in the non-mesh viewers and in mesh it's just far below average. (Didn't stop me from solo capturing a camp of 8 panthers earlier today tho! :hrm: )

Majority of people don't even know what mesh is yet appearantly. RP-bans flying Einar's way because the sim is built in mesh and most people can't be bothered to upgrade their viewers to a mesh compatible one.
Conall
SL Name: Conall DeCuir
Role: Torvaldslander

Postby Conall » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:49 pm

I see recently bald people with boxes close to their head. It looks funny .. i have no Mesh Viewer and won't upgrade also as i like it as it is. The thing is, as long Mesh clothes and hair isn't mod, its absolutly worthless for me to buy those things. :thumbdown:
"You have your Odin and i have mine"
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:58 pm

I can't be arsed to upgrade.

I love Frank's work. I really do.

I just don't see the point.

I also don't like how confrontational people get about it.

If you have it, you think everyone HAS to have it.

If you don't like it...its a pain in the ass to take sims/people seriously.

Some chick at the hub had a tag saying "if you don't see me correctly, you need to update your viewer" She was a block that looked like moss, and another block that looked blackish. *shrugs* I turned off prims and found that she was asian...so I'm guessing a mesh kimono.

...not everyone's computers can even run mesh.

People with 20+ fps, people I know, have mesh viewers crash their systems.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:17 pm

Yeah, She was the first person to tell me to switch to a Mesh Viewer Bear, she told me she was wearing a kimono and thats why she looked weird. She wanted to know if I was making cloths in mesh yet, and I am not.

I thought that it would be the "new great thing" like Flexi hair, but honestly...instead of something you use to make the hair better, your instead changing it completely. Some people are going to like it, and some are not. It will be interesting to see what people do with it in the future when the skill levels goes up, but right now...eh..it's not that great.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:01 pm

I've bought the Silhouette Warfare Armour for a character of mine, a couple of mesh pants and I think that was it so far when it comes to mesh.

They look outstanding for the most part, highly detailed - but as others mentioned before, the (almost) complete lack of it being modifiable is a huge turn off. If you try to mix it with clothes you already got it's pretty much a matter of pure luck if you can even detach the parts of it that you don't need for your outfit.

At least purchasing the armour taught me how to create Alpha layers that only partially blend out body parts. So I guess that's a good side-effect to all the bitching ;)

I love how Einar looks, it definitely blows a good 99% of SL Sims right out of the water. I don't mind the mesh as I am quite fond of the Exodus Viewer (Only gripe with it - no 'area search' and no 'derender' option in the pie-chart) - which is compatible with mesh so I am good.

I've seen some awesome mesh-dresses for women at "Ladies who Lunch" - their corsets are pretty damn hot too. Have yet to see them on avatars though save for the ads.

I don't know, so far it really seems like it's pretty awesome for buildings/environment and avatars that aren't the usual ones - I could imagine someone skilled enough could actually pull off a rather awesome "big size avatar" which is definitely something SL lacks imho - most shapes you can create are either still buffed more so than fat - or suddenly look like they had an intestine rupture. Well along with all sorts of 'creature avis' I guess.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:58 pm

I don't quite get the 'I won't upgrade my viewer as a matter of principle' argument.

Many people in SL want to look good. They spend energy trying to look good. To themselves, to others. And if I want to deal and/or RP with them, it makes sense for me to want to see them as they intended to be seen, if it isn't too much trouble, for me. They will not like it if they realize that I see them as odd shapes or bald. Me going through some minimal amount of effort in order to see them 'right' is just a matter of not being a dick. Of course, everyone has the right to be a dick, in SL. But I don't particularly want to be one, especially not towards people I am trying to have mutual fun with.

So, if and when I can use a viewer that I like to use that supports mesh, I will start using mesh, so I can see everyone as they want to be seen. That moment hasn't come yet, for me. Viewer 3? No thanks. Firestorm is still in beta. Phoenix will support mesh, I hear, but doesn't so far. And apparently, there are many problems with the video-cards and mesh. A bit of a fail, that, on the part of LL.

As for myself: I am not convinced I want to get anything 'mesh'. I haven't seen anything yet done with mesh that cannot be done with other stuff, except for some of those 'shape hugging' 'moving' things like hair and the dress that Ceri showed. But it seems the shape thing is far from perfect. And no adjusting/fitting? Hardly seems like an improvement. And invisible textures to work with gowns? Nothing for me to see when I perv-cam too look underneath? :rrt: :mrgreen:

But the thing is new. Creators are... well... creative. I am sure they will find some good uses for mesh on avatars.

Edited to add: When and IF they can solve the many problems with it, it is likely that they will do what they did with the sculpts: make inclusion of mesh in all allowed third party viewers compulsory (and include it in all current official viewers too). Mesh in static builds definitely has many uses, one of them being less stress on servers. And if only half of the SL population can see them, that may not be a good thing. Not for the markets (and thus, $L purchases) and not for LL itself. After all, they DO want people to come into SL and be impressed by how it looks and not have them see odd boxes, only.
Bree
SL Name: Bree Quingly
Role: Annoyance

Postby Bree » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:27 pm

Yeah I actually have been moonlighting on my alt over in City of Lost Angels and I picked up the new Zoobey kitty cat mesh av. It's absolutely adorable and I'm a bit nuts for it but unfortunately a lot of people cannot see me. And since this is an av that covers me entirely (alpha) they get a couple of creepy floating cat "pieces" which I can see how disconcerting it would be.

I have had people that actually won't rp with me at all in that form because they need the visual I guess. Funny how I still seem to function when most of you are covered in gray from head to toe some days. It also depends on the size of the mesh too. A friend had a huge mesh shape av for Halloween and if you didn't have a mesh viewer it looked like a big green colorful ball that literally took up an entire city block. He was accused of being a griefer.

Hey Ceri... we did manage to just do this with just our imaginations at one point, right?
"Everything is true. God's an Astronaut. Oz is Over the Rainbow, and Midian is where the monsters live." - Peloquin
Charlotte
SL Name: Charlotte Milev

Postby Charlotte » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:50 am

Mesh clothing:
Good: Bends with my av -no more skirt sinking into the floor!
Bad: Every store's 'large' size tends to be fucking tiny, which is driving me batty, my avatar is probably smaller than an american size 6 (maybe an 8?) Which *I* deem freaking thin, I thinned her down so much to make fitting prim skirts easier. And I find that even the 'chubby' or 'cuvy' shapes don't fit my av without serious remodification -specifically in the leg muscle department, which means she ends up standing on emaciated pins for legs...
I hope this will be changed, eventually, I IM or NC every mesh clothing designer and bitch about this, because I think it perpetuates a very unhealthy body image when 'thin' is called 'plus size' -like IMO 'plus size' is Kirsty Alley on a binge, wheras 'thin' is Kirsty Alley showing her bod off on Oprah (random example). The nicole ricchie look revolts me, and it disgusts me that this is deemed 'average' in SL... Wow rant over.

Mesh builds:
Good: Is So Freaking Good! Cuts down on prims, looks 10 times more beautiful, more detail packed into every piece, much easier for computers to load, much easier (eventually) for personal content creators to put an item (like couch) together.
Bad: I don't know a bad side of this...

There is currently a lot more modern/RL/OOC mesh options out there, but I'm sure eventually the content will trickle down to Gor.
Just imagine, mesh silk strips around the waist for slaves, mesh veils and hoods that any FW can throw on and have MOVE with their head instead of cut into their shoulders! Whoo!
Never underestimate the power of the angry mod even if you are a trained fighter. -Vyl
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:36 am

Hey Ceri... we did manage to just do this with just our imaginations at one point, right?

Imagination? Wait...whats that?

Return to “Merchandise”