Ethical uses of a sim name.

This forum is NOT made to slander, or flame homes. Please give honest reviews without blatant insult.

Is placing the name of a high traffic sim in the description of your low traffic sim ethical?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
No
30%
No
30%

Total votes: 92
TrollinWitMyHomies
SL Name: Which?
Role: I'm in your threadz, trollin.
Owner: Foamy, the Squirrel

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:17 pm

Keywording or whatever you wanna call it is for traffic hungry hippos. Sometimes, the merit of a sim's RP will simply just speak for itself. Gimmicks are just that, gimmicks. If traffic is your goal, keywording works perhaps. But, for the rest of us, there is always that RP thing that draws us in. Just saying.

@Syndel: Sabriel and Eve were not the only ones from Salernum in Ar still. There were still quite a few of us left and even one of the former owners. :wave: But, either way, I think it's because we just left it exactly as it was and never changed the description. It was not something I was in favor of ever, anyway, which is why you don't see it on my sim currently.
All your forum are belong to us.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?
Thyri
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Postby Thyri » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:36 pm

I think its sleezy. I see it happening all too often. Search the word Clearchus, Tyros or even Treve. You'll see no less than 8 sims with those names in their descriptions (sometimes on each others')

Really? Are sim owners THAT desperate? Sorry but when I see that? I think its nothing more than antiquated meta tagging of websites (which by the way now, will get you BLACKLISTED on google and yahoo search engines for keyword spamming)

Step up sim owners and be proud of your sims. We already know you're tagging with BDSM, master, slave, tarn, gor, sex, free sex, and other completely irrelavent keywords to get the noobs to visit your sim just to get their little traffic tick of the day. Please stop already.
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
MammaKittie
SL Name: Grrrrr
Caste: Always Kittie
Home Stone: Right now in a world of pretty
Owner: Please...as if

Postby MammaKittie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:19 pm

I don't think I'd go as far as saying it's sleazy or unethical. Sim owners are only trying to get traffic to the sim so they can have some level of success and a product worth their monthly tier. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on who you are catering to. In my opinion; don't rest on the laurels of others creations. Establish your own reputation and name and see it through - success of failure at least it's yours.

I have had other sims borrow the name of my sims to be used in their descriptions: Laura, Everwind, even Rivet Town. I requested that they remove my name NOT because I thought they were being sneaky but because I didn't want people from their sims to come to me with issues.
alana
SL Name: alana quicksand

Postby alana » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 pm

People do all sorts of things to drive up traffic. Some leave avis up not RPing so the traffic numbers appear higher, others use keywords.
Really, however you get people to the sim, you have to do something to keep them there. So I am not sure that I care what people do to attract the thinning group of summer RP to their sim shores. Once one gets there, if there is something worthwhile, people will stay.

And that is pretty much the bottom line, I think, right?
Retreat from reality ~ The substitution of the imaginary for the real.
~I know a lot more than you think, but I keep it to myself to save arguments~
Part of the 1%, lucky me! Must suck to be you. :poke:
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Postby Darius of Turia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:28 pm

First off ill say, why are you applying ethics to a game? Is it ethical to shoot people? ofcorse not, do people do it in call of duty all day long? Hell yeah they do. If its not harmful to anyone or damaging those sims they use their names in then what makes it unethical? secondly sure its a thing to help traffic, sim owners dont care about traffic because thats all that matters to them, sim owners care about traffic because most of you all do too. when you sort sims by traffic you focus on going to the high traffic ones, so if smaller sims dont have the traffic to make it onto your list they will simply have to pop up in as many places as they can, thus the reason they do it. Though if this is right or wrong, i dont get it? why is this so important? is it hurting you, is it hurting anyone at all? or is it just something to do with that sim poping up more often?
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
TrollinWitMyHomies

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:58 pm

Darius,

I don't really think you can apply ethics to your RP character successfully, no, but the overall conduct that you, the player, engage in on a game is a part of ethics, perhaps. I think that's why a TOS is in place in most games.

As far as this hurting anyone, no. But, a thousand things here are discussed just for the sake of discussion, so that's why you see this topic here. I don't see how hurting anyone has anything to do with why or why not something is discussed on a forum meant for discussion.

My sentiments on this are that it's laughable, at best. My thoughts are that sims should strive to cultivate their own image apart from other sims. Word of mouth is more important than traffic, in my opinion. Traffic does not speak anything about quality of play or type of RP. I'd rather have people come to my sim because they heard it was great from a friend of a friend of a friend then because they saw 45k traffic on the search.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?
Darius of Turia

Postby Darius of Turia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:08 pm

Good point, i was just trying to make sense of this, not understanding why everyone wanted to demonize sims doing it. We hope for word of mouth, we do our notices in groups to advertise and we got our forums here. But i kept getting told by my old builder "hey this is a great idea, just put this into your sim description" hell honestly i forgot i even had it there till this thread came up, so i just didn't understand why i'm evil for having it in there. shit if it makes everyone revolt against us for it ill remove it if its that big of a deal lol
But id love to see you guys give clearchus shit for having our sim and half a dozen others in their description lol
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
TrollinWitMyHomies

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:14 pm

I don't think it's evil at all, but why are you wanting Turia to be associated with completely unrelated sims? Don't you want it to stand on its own? I'm probably too much of an idealist in this regard, but I find that piggybacking onto another sim is simply not the best way to generate real, active traffic that actually RPs regularly in the sim.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:24 pm

Darius of Turia wrote:Good point, i was just trying to make sense of this, not understanding why everyone wanted to demonize sims doing it. We hope for word of mouth, we do our notices in groups to advertise and we got our forums here. But i kept getting told by my old builder "hey this is a great idea, just put this into your sim description" hell honestly i forgot i even had it there till this thread came up, so i just didn't understand why i'm evil for having it in there. shit if it makes everyone revolt against us for it ill remove it if its that big of a deal lol
But id love to see you guys give clearchus shit for having our sim and half a dozen others in their description lol

Actually that is what started this thread. At that time they were the "little guy".
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Darius of Turia

Postby Darius of Turia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:27 pm

I'm not defending it, im not saying i agree or disagree i just didn't really care. it dosen't make turia assosiated with those sims its just makes turia pop up when you search them, like clearchus and port cos does when you search turia. does it hinder my ability to find what im looking for? no, but does it make me see those two sims and think about them for a moment? sure does. But like i said, i wasn't even thinking about it till this thread mentioned it and it was an old admin who put them in so i really don't care either way about removing them or not.

Return to “Cities/Sims”