Ethical uses of a sim name.

This forum is NOT made to slander, or flame homes. Please give honest reviews without blatant insult.

Is placing the name of a high traffic sim in the description of your low traffic sim ethical?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
No
30%
No
30%

Total votes: 92
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:35 am

*Reads this thread and just smiles a little* :)
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:40 am

Syndel wrote:
Frevet wrote:I like how Clearchus now uses Llorkh in their description. Totally a gorean sim, right? :wave:
================================================================================
"BtB Outlaws. We raid, plunder, pillage and murder, and make love to your daughters.

Fina Carn Turmus Nyuki Ironhall Gor Hub Gorean Slave Subs RP Treve Tyros Turia Shop Primus panther panthers combat roleplay Sais NOT Llorkh Capua pirate Village CARP"
=================================================================================

How witty! Especially since people who want to go to Llorkh totally were looking for a gorean sim named Clearchus. Or rather: Especially since people looking for Llorkh have such a high chance to mix it up with Clearchus. Names are too similar, right? And Capua, too!

-chuckles-
If it were just the keywording - which by all means is clearly ridiculous - their market is a dead-on copy of Capua's. If a person teleport unaware they might think we merely changed decorations and put a fountain in the middle.

Pot meet Kettle

I figure its about the equivalent of using "Not Gor" for Capua or "Salernum" for Imperial Ar. Just call it what it is. Keyword marketing using the tools SL offers. If you are into RP likely its more than one genre so I can see the rationale in showing off 30K plus traffic to role-players.

Marketing is not Ethical regardless of how you do it. It's just marketing.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Teslik & Sip Root Gorean Medical Info
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Don't speak of things your do not know. Imperial Ar had Salernum as keyword because that's where most people from Salernum went to at that moment in time. Why it was kept as keyword after Eve and Sabriel left is beyond me and certainly none of my business. I recall removing it when there was dissociation. If it was placed back it wasn't by me.

Composed terms such as not-Gor , not-medieval, not-vampire is completely different from using the NAME of another sim.
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:11 pm

Syndel wrote:Don't speak of things your do not know. Imperial Ar had Salernum as keyword because that's where most people from Salernum went to at that moment in time. Why it was kept as keyword after Eve and Sabriel left is beyond me and certainly none of my business. I recall removing it when there was dissociation. If it was placed back it wasn't by me.

Composed terms such as not-Gor , not-medieval, not-vampire is completely different from using the NAME of another sim.

:bullshit:
Salernum was a sim name and while you may find your reasons a good justification I find it lacking since I'm pretty sure there are many from other Gorean sims listed that have citizens who have moved to Clearchus otherwise it would not have that level of traffic.

Pot meet Kettle.

Personally I find nothing wrong with any of it. Usually I know exactly where I intend to TP if I'm using search so a few extra names on the list are just that...a few extra names.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:36 pm

hehehe.. right, so the fact that Imperial Ar was built in association with the owners of Salernum would have nothing to do with its use as keyword and makes it just alike using random names of popular places that are in no form associated with mentioned place. Tsk...
Whatever get's you through the day and night! ;)
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 pm

I am simply amused. Using sims who don't even have the slightest bit to do with Gor to leech off of their traffic and make your sim appear even when keywords are searched that have nothing to do with it is simply cheap. It's marketing, but yes, cheap marketing. If you cannot get it on your own, you likely don't deserve it.

Sad thing is, that Llorkh does not -want- to have -anything- to do with Gor, and now our rpers asked us about that odd thing with Clearchus suddenly showing up when searching for Llorkh, which forces us likely to send out a notice about it. Oh well, can't hinder people to make themselves appear bad, can we? 8-)
Kaitlin

Postby Kaitlin » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Syndel wrote:hehehe.. right, so the fact that Imperial Ar was built in association with the owners of Salernum would have nothing to do with its use as keyword and makes it just alike using random names of popular places that are in no form associated with mentioned place. Tsk...
Whatever get's you through the day and night! ;)

Yes the builder of the sim was Eve like Tyros, Capua and soon Port Cos. Her work is fantastic. That still didn't make it Salernum or your use of it in your keywords any different than what Clearchus is doing. Both using the tools SL gave you to market your sim to the widest audience.

Exploring SL - Ann Owiti
Kait
Dream Resistance
SL Name: You may call me...Headmistress
Caste: Slytherin
Role: Faculty
Home Stone: Hogwarts
Owner: Fantasia & *FakE*

Postby Dream Resistance » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:47 pm

We're talking about the same group who has OOC auctions then magically has medical/rl problems and has to shut the sim down. Really, do you think ethics ranks real high on their priorities?
"Excuse my rudeness, I can't abide useless people."

"I'd rather rp with kids and newb rpers then asshats."

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Auckland%20Island/96/55/37
http://fantasiacostumes.blogspot.com
iJudas

Postby iJudas » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:05 pm

Dream Resistance wrote:We're talking about the same group who has OOC auctions then magically has medical/rl problems and has to shut the sim down. Really, do you think ethics ranks real high on their priorities?

Lets not drag old shit over new coals eh?
Dream Resistance
SL Name: You may call me...Headmistress
Caste: Slytherin
Role: Faculty
Home Stone: Hogwarts
Owner: Fantasia & *FakE*

Postby Dream Resistance » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:12 pm

Always ruining my fun! :pft:
"Excuse my rudeness, I can't abide useless people."

"I'd rather rp with kids and newb rpers then asshats."

http://slurl.com/secondlife/Auckland%20Island/96/55/37