Ethical uses of a sim name.

This forum is NOT made to slander, or flame homes. Please give honest reviews without blatant insult.

Is placing the name of a high traffic sim in the description of your low traffic sim ethical?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
No
30%
No
30%

Total votes: 92
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Mat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:45 am

Caliway wrote:The Difference between using a term or phrase from the book or the use of popular sim names as a means of self promotion is exploitation value. Adding the names of several other sims to your own doesn't make their name appear more often when your sim is searched for, it makes YOUR sim appear more often when THEIR sim is searched for. I searched Clearchus, for example, and Treve's name did not appear, I then searched Treve, and Poof, there was Clearchus.

This is an action of one who wants their sim to be the Top, most popular, most searched Sim. is this Good? No. Is this Bad? No. But it is NOT by any means a way of developing a Community. that is Crap. It is the Mentality of being out for your own. Now I have no issue with that, as those who are doing it are spending good money on their sim, let them think of themselves.

This action is Morally and ethically ambiguous. the Intention is what should be called to the carpet.

The question is who really cares, it is not attempting to be dishonest in any way only to allow your sim to show up in more results. If someone searches for Treve, and Clearchus shows up along with treve in the search results, than whoever is searching for Treve will not be ticked into going olll wow Clearchus must be treve or something and not going to Treve. They may at most go wow I have not been to Clearchus why do I not check them out, again nobody is being mislead here though.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Lax
SL Name: Lax
Caste: Merchant
Role: Master Trader

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Lax » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:21 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:The question is who really cares, it is not attempting to be dishonest in any way only to allow your sim to show up in more results. If someone searches for Treve, and Clearchus shows up along with treve in the search results, than whoever is searching for Treve will not be ticked into going olll wow Clearchus must be treve or something and not going to Treve. They may at most go wow I have not been to Clearchus why do I not check them out, again nobody is being mislead here though.

I can't name names here, but it looks like about 43 care about this, with 26 of them being opposed to the Idea.

But you are absolutely right, people will be searching for one and will see another pop up and decided to explore it. it is a Marketing ploy. so is Subliminal advertising, a method commonly seen as unethical by all major public media. so is false advertising, offering one thing and presenting another...

It works. but the question here is not does it work, but it right. The Majority sampled her say no.
Embrace the Story, it may not always be there

Return to “Cities/Sims”