Ethical uses of a sim name.

This forum is NOT made to slander, or flame homes. Please give honest reviews without blatant insult.

Is placing the name of a high traffic sim in the description of your low traffic sim ethical?

Yes
18
20%
Yes
18
20%
No
28
30%
No
28
30%
 
Total votes: 92
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Mat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:08 pm

TrollinWitMyHomies wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:The thing is that you have no right to the names of the city to start with, so you really have no right or question of people using a name that you yourself used without express permission. I see no ethical problem with it at all, now if for example someone wanted to put in the keyword search Mat Vhargon's house of greatness, that would be a different story.



Syedra is not a name from the books! :)

And yeah, I agree Oor. I don't think it's an ethics issue so much as just an idea that is not effective for what people are stating the goal is in doing so.

I get that, but to make the argument that to use Ar or Tyros, or Laura or any city name found in the books for any reason really is kind of naff, if your entire argument is we are already using that name.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
...

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby ... » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:23 pm

I think there's quite a big difference between trying to inform potential players of which precise culture of Gor you're going for, by naming your sim after a city mentioned in the series, and using many other names in your sim description in order to try and SEO your sim. The first is an attempt to aid potential players to find a place they want to play, the second is an attempt to get people into your sim with no compunction over misinforming searchers. The first, IMO, is fine. The second is naff. If it were Google (or another big search engine), they'd consider it black hat SEO, or spamdexing, and reduce the rank of the 'site', or remove it from listings entirely as penalty. Of course, it's not Google, so it's just naff. :D
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Mat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Oor wrote:I think there's quite a big difference between trying to inform potential players of which precise culture of Gor you're going for, by naming your sim after a city mentioned in the series, and using many other names in your sim description in order to try and SEO your sim. The first is an attempt to aid potential players to find a place they want to play, the second is an attempt to get people into your sim with no compunction over misinforming searchers. The first, IMO, is fine. The second is naff. If it were Google (or another big search engine), they'd consider it black hat SEO, or spamdexing, and reduce the rank of the 'site', or remove it from listings entirely as penalty. Of course, it's not Google, so it's just naff. :D

second life could do the same that Google does that is their business decision, just because a business decides to do something one way or the other has nothing to do with ethics. It is almost always about maximizing profits in some way and little to nothing to do with ethics.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
User avatar
TrollinWitMyHomies
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:39 am
SL Name: Which?
Role: I'm in your threadz, trollin.
Owner: Foamy, the Squirrel

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:50 pm

I'm not complaining about someone using the name itself, though Mat. I would be annoyed if someone used Syedra in their search simply because I want to control what sims my sim is associated with and not have someone else trying to gain traffic by using my sim name as a keyword. I have to agree it's naff. And SL should do what Google does. That'd be awesome.
All your forum are belong to us.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?
...

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby ... » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:59 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:second life could do the same that Google does that is their business decision, just because a business decides to do something one way or the other has nothing to do with ethics. It is almost always about maximizing profits in some way and little to nothing to do with ethics.


I'm not arguing ethics! I'm arguing naffness! Get with the program!

:)
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Mat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:06 pm

Oor wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:second life could do the same that Google does that is their business decision, just because a business decides to do something one way or the other has nothing to do with ethics. It is almost always about maximizing profits in some way and little to nothing to do with ethics.


I'm not arguing ethics! I'm arguing naffness! Get with the program!

:)

That is funny I thought the whole thread was about ethics, do not want to go off topic or anything.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
...

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby ... » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:07 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:
Oor wrote:
Mat Vhargon wrote:second life could do the same that Google does that is their business decision, just because a business decides to do something one way or the other has nothing to do with ethics. It is almost always about maximizing profits in some way and little to nothing to do with ethics.


I'm not arguing ethics! I'm arguing naffness! Get with the program!

:)

That is funny I thought the whole thread was about ethics, do not want to go off topic or anything.


:offtopic:
User avatar
Thyri
Posts: 948
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:02 am
SL Name: Thyri Carver
Caste: Scribe
Role: Free Woman

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Thyri » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:59 pm

I've seen sims who've put a no RP with "X" sim in their rules have no problem adding the name of that sim in their search profile. Its misleading.

I'll use a city's name as an example..... not to dig at this particular sim because I havent done a search for that sim. But take a name like Cos. Island nation. Now... tell me exactly how a torvoldsland sim is in any way related to a tropical island? They're not interconnected (unless your're going by the VERY loose connection that they touch the same body of water). But yet you'll see the search term (in the keyword spam cloud that almost everyone puts on their sim description).

I know a lot of clothing designers would file a JIRA over their name being used in another designer's keyword cloud. Say a new skin designer came out. Would they be equally as justified to put the name Belleza or Redgrave in their search terms? I'd have kittens if I were the designer whose name is being used as keyword spam.

Its misleading, its false advertising, its downright wrong in my eyes. And I have no problem telling sim owners that I find it wrong that they're keyword spamming in their search terms.
Be very polite. -Flagg RIP 2009
Mat
Posts: 2269
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Mat » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:05 am

Thyri wrote:
I know a lot of clothing designers would file a JIRA over their name being used in another designer's keyword cloud. Say a new skin designer came out. Would they be equally as justified to put the name Belleza or Redgrave in their search terms? I'd have kittens if I were the designer whose name is being used as keyword spam.

Its misleading, its false advertising, its downright wrong in my eyes. And I have no problem telling sim owners that I find it wrong that they're keyword spamming in their search terms.

There is a huge difference between a gorean city name found in the books and a clothing designers name. One you could presumably have set up as a business and even trademarked the name, that is not possible with a city name that is found in the books unless you work for JN I guess.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
User avatar
Lax
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:35 pm
SL Name: Lax
Caste: Merchant
Role: Master Trader
Location: Canada

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Lax » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:54 am

The Difference between using a term or phrase from the book or the use of popular sim names as a means of self promotion is exploitation value. Adding the names of several other sims to your own doesn't make their name appear more often when your sim is searched for, it makes YOUR sim appear more often when THEIR sim is searched for. I searched Clearchus, for example, and Treve's name did not appear, I then searched Treve, and Poof, there was Clearchus.

This is an action of one who wants their sim to be the Top, most popular, most searched Sim. is this Good? No. Is this Bad? No. But it is NOT by any means a way of developing a Community. that is Crap. It is the Mentality of being out for your own. Now I have no issue with that, as those who are doing it are spending good money on their sim, let them think of themselves.

This action is Morally and ethically ambiguous. the Intention is what should be called to the carpet.
Embrace the Story, it may not always be there

Return to “Cities/Sims”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron