Ethical uses of a sim name.

This forum is NOT made to slander, or flame homes. Please give honest reviews without blatant insult.

Is placing the name of a high traffic sim in the description of your low traffic sim ethical?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
No
30%
No
30%

Total votes: 92
Darius of Turia
SL Name: Darius Vayandar
Caste: Red
Role: Ubar no more!
Home Stone: City of Turia

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Darius of Turia » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Kaitlin wrote:
Darius of Turia wrote:Good point, i was just trying to make sense of this, not understanding why everyone wanted to demonize sims doing it. We hope for word of mouth, we do our notices in groups to advertise and we got our forums here. But i kept getting told by my old builder "hey this is a great idea, just put this into your sim description" hell honestly i forgot i even had it there till this thread came up, so i just didn't understand why i'm evil for having it in there. shit if it makes everyone revolt against us for it ill remove it if its that big of a deal lol
But id love to see you guys give clearchus shit for having our sim and half a dozen others in their description lol

Actually that is what started this thread. At that time they were the "little guy".

Personally i saw them doing it first, i am probably wrong but speaking from what i witnessed here. first them then when they seemed to explode in traffic more and more sims started doing it. it was after that that my builder told me to put it in there. i still have no idea if it works or not
"Life is as a storm, one must be prepared for the hardship and scorn. But with in this is a light, one for which we must fight. For hope is our weapon and our dreams are our shield. When fully armed we can not be felled from the field."
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:59 am

I believe it's a good thing. Some sims even CAME ASK us to add their name to our keyword searches.

Why? Because it shows people that we're not mutually-exclusive. That we're part of a community and inter-sim activities. It's a good thing to remind people sometimes that their gorean sims are not an isolated island. You'd be surprised at how many members we sometimes have joining, that all of a suddenly awe in surprise at the fact that gorean RP sims actually interact with eachother.

Another notion that was brought up in a general (non-gorean) RP group discussion was that SL RP is already a small world and that to keep people motivated they'll need diversity, so they were suggesting that active SL RP sims would put keywords referring to eachother, in different genres, in search to keep the RP world of SL thriving. However some sims made it rather clear they want to have nothing to do with contributing to the quality of RP in SL... so after some headbutting and disappointed voices from the RP communities in SL, their names have been removed from these collective keyword lists.

Ethical ? Unethical? Good intentions is all that is in place here. And good intentions are always ethical.. in my book and my selective broad generalizing mind. :)
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:48 am

Kur,

I think it was more like some sims want nothing to do with Gor. And that's their choice. It has nothing to do with not wanting to contribute to the SL RP environment, and everything to do with the personal objections of the RP populations of some sims. They have a right not to be affiliated with Gor if they don't want to be.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:44 am

Lailah wrote:Kur,

I think it was more like some sims want nothing to do with Gor. And that's their choice. It has nothing to do with not wanting to contribute to the SL RP environment, and everything to do with the personal objections of the RP populations of some sims. They have a right not to be affiliated with Gor if they don't want to be.

This. Llorkh wants -nothing- to do with Gor, we do not want to be related with Gor in any way. We already have a bunch of wellknown gorean roleplayers who come to us, which is fine, but we like to make a -strict- distinction between the slavery in Llorkh, as presented in Forgotten Realms, and Gor.

Using our name had nothing to do with an RP community since Llorkh never was in the same RP community to begin with, nor will there ever be intersim roleplay or any sort of rp-relationship between gorean sims and Llorkh. Hence why we are so strict about being related with Gor.
TrollinWitMyHomies
SL Name: Which?
Role: I'm in your threadz, trollin.
Owner: Foamy, the Squirrel

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:32 am

I think some gorean RP sims don't even want to be associated with other gorean RP sims. :lol:

I also don't understand how keywording means you play well with other sims. I would think that would be displayed in the actual RP occurring on sim and not in your sim description by the use of a keyword.

Anarch12911 wrote: It's a good thing to remind people sometimes that their gorean sims are not an isolated island.

Why do you feel the need to remind people? What if some sims want to stay an isolated island? How is this wrong if that is what their community on that sim wants? It's simply a preference so to place some value judgment on it like wahat you do is "the way," by reminding them how they have strayed, is pretty pompous, IMO. I'm not big on RP with other sims because I'd much rather focus on the RP going on in my sim. If it happens and the situation makes sense and the RP goals of another sim match my own, then I might consider it, but otherwise I'd rather be an isolated island. I mean, the setting of my sim is quite literally an isolated island IC, as well. :lol:

There is no real way that I could do a large scale intersim RP with a sim like Clearchus for instance. People in my sim type 1-2 paragraphs per post and don't use meters. I can't even imagine the headache that would occur by trying to mesh the two styles of RP. It doesn't make one better or one worse but why try to fit square pegs in round holes, you know? Bottom line, if it works for you, great, but it doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to do things.
All your forum are belong to us.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:56 am

TrollinWitMyHomies wrote:I think some gorean RP sims don't even want to be associated with other gorean RP sims. :lol:

I also don't understand how keywording means you play well with other sims. I would think that would be displayed in the actual RP occurring on sim and not in your sim description by the use of a keyword.

Anarch12911 wrote: It's a good thing to remind people sometimes that their gorean sims are not an isolated island.
There is no real way that I could do a large scale intersim RP with a sim like Clearchus for instance. People in my sim type 1-2 paragraphs per post and don't use meters. I can't even imagine the headache that would occur by trying to mesh the two styles of RP. It doesn't make one better or one worse but why try to fit square pegs in round holes, you know? Bottom line, if it works for you, great, but it doesn't mean it's the ONLY way to do things.

The only difference probably would be that Clearchus people type 1-2 paragraphs per post and also know how to use the GM meter. You're being a bit pompous at the moment assuming there are no paragraph RPers in Clearchus. On the contrary, the majority of our RPers are...

I'll put it this way... the quality of RP, and the -level- of it while using knowledge from the world of Gor as described in the books, while avoiding onlineisms, is pretty high in the communities of Treve (or used to be), Clearchus, (former) Imperial Ar and probably now, if the same -level- ensues in Isle of Seydra as in Ar, then now too there. I also expect this to be the case for core groups in several other sims such as Tyros, Olni, (new) Cos, Saphronicus, (former) Tarnwald etcetera...

Either way, you're all nitpicking about keywords in search... If you wanna have tantrums about it, go ahead. I'll just keep sipping my mochito's in the bright sun here...
TrollinWitMyHomies

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 pm

I didn't imply that Clearchus folks couldn't type paragraphs. I couldnt' really say for certain one way or another because of my limited experience in dealing with Clearchus in RP (which on the few occasions I went was not anything near para play, not that this is a bad thing but it was just not my experience there). Also, I'm sure at least half the sim in Syedra knows how to use a meter, at least a handful are even skilled with it. It's a choice to be meterless, not a matter of know-how, Anarch. I think that this is a perfect example, in fact, of how the goals of Clearchus and the goals of Syedra are like apples and oranges. I am speaking specifically to that and the focus of the RP itself.

Let me repeat that I don't have an issue with you using keywords. I think its kind of silly and makes no sense, especially after you explained why you do it. But, it doesn't make it bad, IMO. Perhaps it's annoying though to some of the sims that don't want to associate with yours. I would not be happy, for instance, if someone used Syedra as a keyword and did not have my permission.

What I did take issue with was that you assume that the way to exist as a sim in SL Gor is to be interconnected to other sims and do intersim RP and beyond that, you even made it like it was your business to remind sims they must do this type of thing. So, I simply countered your thought process on that with my own perspective, which is that some sims may want to remain isolated islands and not have intersim RP and I see no problem with this if that is what makes the community on that sim happy.
Last edited by TrollinWitMyHomies on Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:22 pm

The thing is that you have no right to the names of the city to start with, so you really have no right or question of people using a name that you yourself used without express permission. I see no ethical problem with it at all, now if for example someone wanted to put in the keyword search Mat Vhargon's house of greatness, that would be a different story.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him

Postby ... » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:55 pm

I don't think there's any particularly heavy ethical argument to be made for or against what people in SL put in their sim descriptions. Using other sim names can be annoying and is definitely the epitome of naff, but ethically? Fill your boots. People generally know what they're looking for-ish when they put in their keywords anyway.
TrollinWitMyHomies

Postby TrollinWitMyHomies » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:02 pm

Mat Vhargon wrote:The thing is that you have no right to the names of the city to start with, so you really have no right or question of people using a name that you yourself used without express permission. I see no ethical problem with it at all, now if for example someone wanted to put in the keyword search Mat Vhargon's house of greatness, that would be a different story.

Syedra is not a name from the books! :)

And yeah, I agree Oor. I don't think it's an ethics issue so much as just an idea that is not effective for what people are stating the goal is in doing so.

Humor. I haz it. Do you?

Return to “Cities/Sims”