Ethical uses of a sim name.

This forum is NOT made to slander, or flame homes. Please give honest reviews without blatant insult.

Is placing the name of a high traffic sim in the description of your low traffic sim ethical?

Yes
20%
Yes
20%
No
30%
No
30%

Total votes: 92
Josef of Ar
SL Name: Josef Xaris
Caste: Merchant Caste
Role: Slaver
Home Stone: Glorious Ar
Owner: Logic. It works bitches.

Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Josef of Ar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:27 am

I have noticed recently that the practice of putting the name of a popular sim in the description of a lesser trafficked sim in order to bolster the traffic of the slower sim seems to be back in fashion. Thoughts? Ethical or not?
Gor Evolved Lifestyler
Perseverance does not equal worthiness --Dr. Gregory House
http://mercatorviscus.blogspot.com/
Erik
SL Name: Erik Fyanucci
Caste: It's complicated
Role: Laugh-master
Home Stone: Reality
AkA: Ari Blackthorne

Re: Ethical uses of a sim name.

Postby Erik » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:42 am

Josef of Ar wrote:I have noticed recently that the practice of putting the name of a popular sim in the description of a lesser trafficked sim in order to bolster the traffic of the slower sim seems to be back in fashion. Thoughts? Ethical or not?

My vote: "Indifferent".

I'm not so sure it's an "ethical" matter to begin with. If the Estate sim name is available then it's a free-for-all. However, if there already is a "city of Ar" for example, then setting the parcel name of the sim to "Ar City" or something - I'm not sure it's unethical. is it uncouth? Absolutely. Is it stupid? Certainly.

However, are you not in "Imperial Ar" now? If I recall the "other" Ar was there first. So... was it an ethical issue?
(Rhetorical question). :)
Syndel
SL Name: Syndel Daviau

Postby Syndel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:49 am

Well, since I was the responsible for the opening of Imperial Ar, I'm fit to reply to this comment just made :)

Imperial Ar was built regardless of the existence of another Ar - that wasn't active at the time, mind you, it had been wiped off to give place to some fair and wasn't thriving - because Imperial Ar takes place AFTER the events of Witness of Gor (unless Melisande changed that now), whereas the other Ar was living the days pre or just post Pa-Kur, I'm not sure anymore. I'm just sure that we had COMPLETELY different historical periods.

Ethical? Unethical? Whatever. You can name your sim whatever you want but if you're doing NOTHING useful with it, you cannot claim exclusivity or expect respect :)

I have no regrets for having it built, populated and transfered into capable hands as we moved on from Gor to create Capua :)
Last edited by Syndel on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:57 am

its old as is SL, if you type GOR in search, you got House of V as second, which has absolute nothing to do with Gor. After that Capua and Village Slave Hunt.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Syndel

Postby Syndel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:58 am

Yes, indeed, Capua has "not Gor" listed in the description of the sim which automatically counts as keywording :)
Josef of Ar
SL Name: Josef Xaris
Caste: Merchant Caste
Role: Slaver
Home Stone: Glorious Ar
Owner: Logic. It works bitches.

Postby Josef of Ar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Let me clarify my question and I am going to make up sim names so nobody gets butt hurt about being "called out" on anything.

SimX has 20K traffic sustained and a large population of RPers.

SimZ has 5K traffic and little to no population.

SimZ decides to include "SimX" in their description despite not being affiliated in anyway shape or form.

I'm not talking about two sims having the same name. That is a whole other can of worms. What I am talking about is a sim that is not affiliated with or named the same as a sim putting the name of a high traffic sim in their description to get more hits.

I could give specific examples but I'm not interested in a flame war. I'm more interested in what people think about the topic.
Gor Evolved Lifestyler
Perseverance does not equal worthiness --Dr. Gregory House
http://mercatorviscus.blogspot.com/
Erik
SL Name: Erik Fyanucci
Caste: It's complicated
Role: Laugh-master
Home Stone: Reality
AkA: Ari Blackthorne

Postby Erik » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:22 pm

Josef of Ar wrote:Let me clarify my question and I am going to make up sim names so nobody gets butt hurt about being "called out" on anything.

SimZ decides to include "SimX" in their description despite not being affiliated in anyway shape or form.

I'm not talking about two sims having the same name. That is a whole other can of worms. What I am talking about is a sim that is not affiliated with or named the same as a sim putting the name of a high traffic sim in their description to get more hits.

I could give specific examples but I'm not interested in a flame war. I'm more interested in what people think about the topic.

AHAH!

Well... THAT changes everything!

Well, ethics aside... if they are trying to get a bump in search... they'll fail. Because as we all know, too many look to sot by traffic (I personally don;t put too much stock in traffic numbers, but I understand the proclivity for doing so). The only way that will benefit the lower-traffic sim is if the higher-traffic sim name is specifically included in the search criteria. The reason that would still be fail will be: if I am searching for Ar for example and two sims come-up, I'll already know where I want to go and the second one that appears is a moot point.

It will not affect the higher-trafficked sim in any way whatsoever.

When I owned Laura 2 (The second version, long after the first was sunk) - someone asked my "permission" (kudos to them) to create a new sim called "Something of Laura" (ruins or outlands or whatever, I forget) - I told him go for it as long as he didn't proclaim be be *the* Laura proper. It never affected us in any way, though I had passed Laura off to Markos Binder a few months after all that.

So I guess the question of "ethics" would have more to do with the specific statements used and how it is leveraged by the "infringing" sim. If they use it as a demeaning billboard "Sim X suckass!" - then obviously. If they say "We're better than sim X" - not really: it's simple competition as you get in all advertising.

So the question of ethics as a general rule: no. It is fully ethical, unless something specific points to malice in it.

Just my own perspective, of course.
Runt
SL Name: Pie
Owner: Real Life

Postby Runt » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:27 pm

I didn't vote either way.

It's something Donald Trump would do in a heartbeat. Not saying it's right or wrong but bottom line, if it works...
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Josef of Ar wrote:Let me clarify my question and I am going to make up sim names so nobody gets butt hurt about being "called out" on anything.

Not sure it would do any good anyway. In fact it might as well lower the traffic on SimZ, if what I'm looking at is the sim traffic.
Why go to SimZ if the description make to think it's part of SimX ? Better to go to SimX directly and from there maybe walk to SimZ if I have time.

(Personnaly I don't go on high traffic sims a much, but that was for the example.)
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Syndel

Postby Syndel » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:30 pm

Ah, yeah... I know a place where I do not have a shop at that has the name of my shop in their keywording :D
People do that! But I don't think it matters per the reasons already presented: people would go to the highest traffic option commonly, unless they are antisocial and looking for time alone with roleplay partner etc etc where there is no population.

Return to “Cities/Sims”