Sabi's slave adventures: Port Kar

This forum is NOT made to slander, or flame homes. Please give honest reviews without blatant insult.
Sabina Takakura
SL Name: WAT.
Caste: Hobo
Role: Zombie Killer
Home Stone: My cat.
Owner: Reddit.

Sabi's slave adventures: Port Kar

Postby Sabina Takakura » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:24 pm

I've got a couple hours before the GW2 beta starts, so I figured I'd pop in and see what I could find. My character technically is settled in Victoria atm, but alas, it's a bit empty. Anyway, on to Kar!

When you first arrive, you're spammed by two popups. One with a notecard with rules, the other with a notice about how it's a seedy place. IMO one popup is enough. Having both is just annoying.
I TP down to the docks and it's fairly silent. For me, that's a good thing. Having RP blasted at you before you can even load in is terrible. I take a few steps out, pause to cam around the city and read profiles.

Here's the thing, I admit I do this. I look at the avatars in sim. Do they wear mostly mesh? Are they well put together? If not, it's nearly a promise that their RP is crap. As elitist as that sounds, think about it. If you're still wearing the same CAKE flexi hair from EIGHT YEARS AGO and refuse to update? You're probably not going to update your thinking enough to flow with what is generally considered acceptable RP these days.
There will always be exceptions to this rule, but go ahead and test my theory there. Same goes for having a vast amount of profiles with vaguely contextual book quotes or some long spiel about how TRUE GOR DIED.
Bro, relax. It's a game.

Anyway, the avatars here are mostly updated. Good sign! The furniture, the build, they all say Port Kar. It sets a good scene for a lot of lovely stories, I'm sure. It's a bit quiet at noon my time, which is okay. Most sims are. For those of you in Euro/Aussie times though, it won't bode well. Sorry!

In my camming around I saw a slave nearby. She TP'd out before I could post at her, but the thing that struck me the most about her avatar was that she was wearing a crown. I really wish I were joking guys. Not even something that was just an ornate costume that might be construed as a crown, it was straight up a crown. No way around it. Crown. That isn't a sim review, really, I just found it humorous.

I'll post more later when I find someone to RP with, and admittedly after I play a bit of the beta. :heart:
Sabina Takakura

Re: Sabi's slave adventures: Port Kar

Postby Sabina Takakura » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:11 am

After popping in and out all day, I finally managed to find some folks outside of their home. It wasn't easy, for the most part people stay cooped up. Since technically my character doesn't live there, I couldn't come up with an excuse to knock on private home doors.
Real pity, honestly. There aren't enough public spaces. I think there are basically two.

On my slave character I popped in and shot a few posts out as a feeler while others were in a scene. I stayed there in total for about an hour and a half watching it, posting in occasionally, however not once did anyone ever respond to any of my posts.
So, time to go, I guess. No reason to stick around if there is A) No one outside to RP with and B) no one actually RPs with you.

Alas, my free character was in Kar. She's gone from there, too.
Basically, in order to be a captain in Port Kar, you have to rent a physical location from the sim, either a business, or a large hold. You do not earn your captain status, you buy it with L$
As someone who was roleplaying ownership of a place, that was taken from me OOC when the building switched hands. Even after I complained to the person taking over that it was pretty shitty to oust me OOC, I was subjected to quite a bit of bullying in my IMs and of course, the speech IC about how "You're a woman, you should be thankful I'd let you work there."

Yes, I get it. It's Gor. Your penis trumps all. We all get it. What isn't ok is that you're taking that to the extreme not to create roleplay, but to squish it. There could have been a lot of stories for a lot of people but it's all over because people can't think outside of the dick-in-a-box.

So, unfortunately, I'm going to have to give Port Kar :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Not cool that you have to buy IC position, not cool that RP was ignored on two separate characters, not cool at all.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:04 am

Port Kar's owner has this on her profile:

"my Jarl RLV locks my IMs down. Please contact Ivan Tiberius (Doggz101) if you really need me."

Seriously.....
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:05 am

So what? I'd imagine that's her personal business.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:16 am

When you are a sim owner, you have some responsibilities and you must be able to answer with no delay when you are online.

I have administrated sims, owned sims and my partner has never activated this function of RLV. My responsibilities regarding the sim came first.

If there is a griefer on the sim, you have first to IM the owner if no mod is around, then realize she is under RLV, then IM her partner, then her partner has to go in his RLV menu and unlock her permissions (hopelfully he didn't turn AFK for a little moment) for she gets able to communicate with people and perform her job.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:09 pm

I see that, I immediately see red flags. Not because of the restriction or the D/s stuff, just... too much experience in SL that would lead me to think this person's crazy.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
DarbyDollinger
SL Name: Darby Dollinger
Caste: Slaver
Home Stone: Amongst the ruins of Salernum.

Postby DarbyDollinger » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:31 pm

People can run their sims however they want. As far as I'm aware, her Master is mostly running the sim anyway these days. And long before he was on the scene she was telling me that while she was happy to pay for it, didn't really enjoy the day to day running of the sim, and preferred other people to do it.

She also strikes me as one of the nicer and saner people on Gor.
Sabina Takakura

Postby Sabina Takakura » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:41 pm

DarbyDollinger wrote:People can run their sims however they want. As far as I'm aware, her Master is mostly running the sim anyway these days. And long before he was on the scene she was telling me that while she was happy to pay for it, didn't really enjoy the day to day running of the sim, and preferred other people to do it.

She also strikes me as one of the nicer and saner people on Gor.

I'm with you here. She does seem sane and honestly, what she wants to do with her SL is none of my business.
I've never had the impression that she wanted to actively admin the sim. I can't blame her, it's a shitty job, and that's all well and good. She's certainly not micromanaging.

The issues I have with the sim were brought directly to her. We had a good conversation where she explained her side, I explained mine, and that was that. I never expected her to change the rules (Have to buy position with L$, etc), I just wanted to hear her side. I might understand her side, but I still disagree with it.
We parted on good terms, and I think she's a good person. That doesn't mean I think it's a good sim. The owner and the sim itself, given the way Port Kar is set up in particular, are two separate entities. I don't think you can judge the sim by the owner, or the owner by the sim.

Her reasoning behind the paying to play a captain thing is this: It was set up that way when she inherited the sim, specifically so that those who are good at meter fighting wouldn't be the ones running it. The idea behind it, is that people play where they are invested.
It's a good theory, and sound logic. I wouldn't want just those who can meter fight to end up leaders either, but I do think there are better ways to do it. She did mention that up until my circumstance, it has worked just fine. That's all well and good, but it still makes me uncomfortable that your RP has absolutely no bearing whatsoever on your position.

I came to Kar in the hopes that I'd get some political RP. My character was set up to help with that, and no matter how hard I tried, I felt as if I couldn't break into that side of it. Now I know why, it's because it doesn't exist. The sim markets itself as "Come be at a place where you can be a captain." - except you can't. You can't be a captain unless you pay the sim money. You aren't a captain because you earned it through viable RP that has helped the sim grow, you've earned it because you right clicked a scripted box.
To me, that's something that breaks the rules I have for myself. If you're comfortable with that, then more power to you - I do think though, it should be clearly stated in the rules somewhere.
Had I seen that upon coming in, some little message that says:
To be a captain you must have 5 ships, a crew, and rent either a business or a large hold from the sim.
Then I would have been armed with that, and adjusted accordingly, or been able to choose before I even started that it wasn't a place for me.

I didn't suggest that, nor did I suggest better ways to have a captain be chosen (Votes by the existing council, votes by the free in the city, massive hostile takeover, etc) because that isn't my place. I don't pay for it. I don't run it. But others going in should still be made aware that as it stands, RP doesn't matter. At all. What matters is renting. If you're ok with that, then you might have a good time.

Return to “Cities/Sims”